It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simpsons dolls banned in Iran as 'promoters of Western culture'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Simpsons dolls banned in Iran as

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

REPORTING FROM TEHRAN -- Sorry kids, the Simpsons are now forbidden in Tehran. An agency tied to the Iranian government has banned the sale of dolls of the American cartoon characters, an Iranian newspaper reported Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/6/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Come on now....you can't really ban The Simpsons and blame them for all of the western woes.......

Hard to believe that dolls can be banned because of what they believe they "stand" for. And the fact that the superheroes aren't banned along with the reasoning for it is even more odd.

Not entirely sure of why they think The Simpsons or Barbie are a legitimate look at what most in the US are like. I can understand banning shows or propaganda materials, but the dolls themselves are not really indicative of what anyone I know is like.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
they banned all but homer.... he is running there nuke program......

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
More absurdity from the Iranian government. Seriously though. I'd think that they'd LOVE the Simpsons. Afterall .. it sure makes Americans look really ignorant. Fat and ignorant in Homers case. Or maybe they did it because Bart is a rebel and they dont' want the kiddies to rebel? Dunno. But it's silly.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Really? That is just flat out funny. Why not ban everything that is made in the West? Such as T.V and Radio? Wouldn't that promote western culture? Absurd, but then what do you expect that kind of gov't..?

Just my opinion.

-SAP-

link   
Double post.
edit on 6-2-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

link   
Ay caramba, even Apu? Thanks for the thread, please come again.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
More absurdity from the Iranian government. Seriously though. I'd think that they'd LOVE the Simpsons. Afterall .. it sure makes Americans look really ignorant. Fat and ignorant in Homers case. Or maybe they did it because Bart is a rebel and they dont' want the kiddies to rebel? Dunno. But it's silly.

Same thought here....I would think that The Simpsons would be more of a negative look for westerners. Not sure of the logic here and wouldn't think that they would be THAT big of a hit in other countries.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I dont get why Iran can censor stuff and still be defended by those on ATS.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I had just read about this.What i find interesting is that the show itself had already been banned there.so what is banning the toys going to do?

edit on 6-2-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Simpsons dolls?

Are we back in 199o's again?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's THEIR culture, not ours. Trying to ascribe our values on a culture that is so different than ours I can see why we would be confused on the matter. When looked at from their standpoint it makes more sense. Btw, the Simpsons would have been banned here in the 50's or 60's.

top topics

join