It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder Times... Harder Measures...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As I strive or struggle through the world today, I can't help but to take notice of it, at least from my own eyes. Though, to say that I've seen it only through my own eyes would be to general as, no matter how I perceive those around me, the sight of them and what they/we go through on a day to day basis is very real. I donot pear into their lives from more than a glance, but I see reasons and reactions, still.

I'll give an example.. The next time you are driving down the highway and see houses that you would never live in, and say.. how do these people live this way? Think of more than just, ..these people need to get off their asses and work.. Or any number of stereotypes..

---------

Moving to Texas, the state I always had appreciation for and great respect, I find that even such a pridefull state has it's blemishes. No state taxes, no taxes on food, always clean, always lawful and always nature friendly. Sounds like the place I would love to live in... And so, life brings me here.

Hard times indeed.. I did struggle my butt off to get here. I worked for a respectible company for a good handfull of years now. Went through a very rough set of years durring those times with Katrina and Rita that did eventually catch up to me and my wife. We thought by living in the middle of it all and it never effecting us, we were ok. In the end, I lost my wife, home and my sanity for a while. Well, I "think" the sanity has returned for the most part
My company decided that I should really take on bigger things from our home office and I eventually took it. Comming here with a forclosure shouldnt be thaaaaat bad.. I mean, In louisiana, it doesnt stop you from getting an apartment, per say.

After going to a very nice, inexpensive apartment very close to my work, I found that I was very wrong. I could not rent there. I heard about another set of apartments, not too far away that would overlook it. When I got there, the manager told me that if she couldnt rent to me, then there were other apartments that would definatly rent to me. They were not as decent as these, I was told.

Hmmm... ok.

Granted, I make 4X more a month than what any of these apartments "require" you to make to live there.

After mentioning this to the first manager, she didnt flinch. The second apartments, I said the same.. She did flinch.

After a 350$ deposit MORE than the $150 original deposit, and I'm sure a slightly inflated rent.. I have a nice apartment.

So.. Time to get the electricity.

The only electric company in this city.. Oh boy, I know what's comming. Been there every time before....

$75 Establishment fee. Non refundable.
$50 Membership fee. Refundable
$150 Deposit. Refundable ONLY if I remain with them a year and have not missed one payment in that time or it starts all over.
$1.50 service charge.

Really???? Establishment fee?? MEMBERSHIP FEE??? A YEAR? What if I miss the 11th payment by one day....?? Starts all over.

oh man..

....Now on to renters insurance... Really?

120$ a year, liability. Take half now and bill you $10 a month for 7 months.

Free cable!! Came with the apartment.. Ok, now we're getting somewhere.
- Basic cable free. Sir would you like internet for 24$ a month. ...Sure thing! Ok sir, your credit says something and we need to charge you another 50$ right now, non refundable.

frack!

Each month I pay my car note.. 350$.. Plus an extra 10$ to pay it by phone, online, or anyway possible other than sending a check in the mail. I dont want checks, I hate checks.. They always screw it up!.. So.. I have to pay them 10.. or sorry, they went up.. 10.99 each month to pay my car note. Money I owe THEM..

So tell me, how are people with less money, that doesnt make 50-60K a year, survive when everything is based on credit.. When you do wrong, when you falter, or just when $#!^ happens? Funny thing is... Alot of it isnt their fault. They simply cant afford it.

Cmon Texas... I thought you knew better than this... Considering my credit with paying my electricity bill has been near perfect... Oh wait.. They only reflect baaaaad credit.. Since when does a forclosure have anything to do with paying my car insurance or my cable, or my electricity the one thing I am required to have...

The stupidity of money changers these days!

Sure... I know it "could" reflect bad payments.. but cmon.. this is idiocy! Why base everything on what COULD happen and work on what IS happening.

Am I just being too soft on society? Am I just expecting too much?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

*SNORT* Lawful? Do you know how many barfights they have over dumb stuff? How many people get shot for saying something simple? If any state should complain about being friendly and getting s**t on, it isn't Texas. It's more about "keep your mouth shut and your head down or some drunken cowboys will eff you up." I know, I have some Texan friends with stories...

You people have your own law. I don't call that lawful, I call that delusional vigilantism.

Keep comforting yourself.

edit on CMondaypm323251f51America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well, it is not just Texas, I can tell you that a good friend here in MI is having the same types of problems, due to a foreclosure. It actually took them 4 months to find an apartment that would rent to them. And it isn't all that nice.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

*SNORT* Lawful? Do you know how many barfights they have over dumb stuff? How many people get shot for saying something simple? If any state should complain about being friendly and getting s**t on, it isn't Texas. It's more about "keep your mouth shut and your head down or some drunken cowboys will eff you up." I know, I have some Texan friends with stories...

To be honest, I haven't seen any. Maybe you're refering to another city or town or county. There are "those" types in every state. I've been up the east coast, I can name a few. I'm sure there are some along the west as well as a few countries too. Stereotypes isnt my favor. Sorry. That holds for another descussion perhaps.

You people have your own law. I don't call that lawful, I call that delusional vigilantism.

Keep comforting yourself.

edit on CMondaypm323251f51America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

Im not really sure what you mean by "You people"... I'm sorta a stranger in a strange land here, buddy. I take comfort in knowing that I can handle my own when needed, at least as well as I am allowed.

As Ive said... It seems pretty calm over here. I would hope that paying fees to paying bills didnt come to a barfight or any sort of shanking. Hmmm Less they would bring back debtors prison, maybe I'll keep it in mind.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The same everywhere. The slow squeeze of blood from a turnip or grapes in a wine press. Are we no different from fruit or vegetables? Do you have any money left to spend on you at the end of the monthly cycle? You do? Well just you wait right there, the "legislators" will invent another agency to line up and collect that from you too... or else.

One...more...turn....on...the...wheel will yield just that tiny bit more.
edit on 6-2-2012 by intrptr because: syntax

new topics

top topics

join