It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Talks Constitution, Claims S.Afica's Constitution Better

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The problem isn't the constitution, it's the fact that the people and the government AREN'T ABIDING BY IT! It is without question the most perfect document ever created to govern mankind. If we would have followed it, there would be no useless debate about abortion, about gay rights, about any human rights, about the war on drugs, about slavery and minority rights, or about the ever growing police state we find ourselves in in the United States. It gives us the ULTIMATE and ONLY human right: the pursuit of happiness and that all men are created equal. As long as your actions do not infringe on others, the constitution says you can do what you want to do.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT
If we would have followed it, there would be no useless debate about abortion, about gay rights, about any human rights, about the war on drugs, about slavery and minority rights, or about the ever growing police state we find ourselves in in the United States.

That is a strong conviction you have but such conversations would have still be had. Maybe not in a charged political sense as they became or are being utilized; but they would have been discussed and should be discussed. Though not in the capacity they are now. Those issues, in my opinion, should be State and municipality levels -- with exception of slavery.

That needed a culture change and while I do not condone the forceful hand of Government to impose social changes -- it needed to step in to defend and support the Constitution and all the founding principles and ideals found within the Decelaration of Independence.

It gives us the ULTIMATE and ONLY human right: the pursuit of happiness and that all men are created equal. As long as your actions do not infringe on others, the constitution says you can do what you want to do.

This is the largest reason I have decided to follow this thread. To help educate and change the narrative that the Constitution gives us anything. It doesn't; except the reasonable understanding that Government will operate within the specific and enumerated powers and that all Political Power is retained by the People. The Constitution gives us no Rights that we did not already have!

Specifically you pointed out two "rights" -- "the pursuit of happiness and that all men are created equal". While I agree that is our ultimate understanding of Freedom and Liberty -- they are not what the Constitution "gave" nor accomplishes. The Constitution is a document that is directed inwards towards itself. That being Government itself.

This of course is not to discredit the Declaration of Independence nor the deep connection that I would continue to wager is retained by a large portion of society; nor to discredit what you were trying to convey. Merely ensuring that people educate themselves and continue the dialog and debate that has been developing since 1770s.
edit on 11-2-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You have to look at Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg only a little closer to understand why she likes S. Africa's Constitution.

1) Ginsburg has long used foreign law's to "shape US law's in Judicial opinions"

2) Ginsburg is a Radical Leftist Feminist

3) S. Africa's Constitution allows for taxation based upon race(Feminist's have long wanted special "man taxes" and leftist's in general would love to see crippling "White Taxes")

When you sum it all up Ginsburg isn't just a traitor, but a radical bigot as well.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
1) Ginsburg has long used foreign law's to "shape US law's in Judicial opinions"

Can you cite the case law that this has occurred?

2) Ginsburg is a Radical Leftist Feminist

This is where you nearly lost me. I understand your point of view, but just spouting out labels doesn't help. This is a discussion, not a spitting match. Give us some substance so those engaged in this conversation have something to at least counter or agree in regards to your statement.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join