It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook to blame for the panic surrounding mysterious illness spreading in rural New York town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Facebook and YouTube could be to blame for the spread of the mystery Tourrette’s-like illness that is blighting a town in upstate New York.

Doctors said that symptoms are being ‘reinforced and magnified’ because victims of the bizarre condition are uploading videos of themselves onto social networking sites to appeal for help.

They argue that when other people in the town of LeRoy view the videos, they are unconsciously mimicking what they see and spreading it around.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

As much as I hate facebook, I don't know about the accusation that facebook created the tourettes like symptoms in those girls.

There is such thing as Photosensitive epilepsy (PSE) is a form of epilepsy in which seizures are triggered by visual stimuli that form patterns in time or space, such as flashing lights, bold, regular patterns, or regular moving patterns....

....but it doesn't cause tourettes like symptoms. Curious as to what people think about this?
edit on 6-2-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think they are just deflecting. Yeah, let's blame facebook instead of finding the real cause.
I really don't believe this kids are making this up. Too many unanswered questions.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Who knows, could be. I have heard of similar mass psychoses.

Like in 1516, 400 people just started dancing to death for no reason.

en.wikipedia.org...

The outbreak began in July 1518, when a woman, Frau Troffea, began to dance fervently in a street in Strasbourg.[1] This lasted somewhere between four to six days. Within a week, 34 others had joined, and within a month, there were around 400 dancers. Some of these people eventually died from heart attack, stroke, or exhaustion.[1]

Of course, ATS will go ahead and make a huge conspiracy out of it and place blame on Obama anyway.
edit on 6-2-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
LeRoy NY is about 35 miles from my home. Sunday the 29th I gave a hymn sing in the church directly next door to the school in which the girls are students. There were children in attendance at the hymn sing, and in the basement of the church there was a soup supper which is a monthly gift to the community. We joined those present for the dinner.

Not once did I see anything out of the ordinary, smell anything (other than soup) that might be a chemical, nor did anyone seem unusually anxious about the circumstances next door. (Next door is about 100 feet from the church).

Lets be open minded about this. Perhaps the psychologists have it right, or possibly there is a problem with chemicals. But frankly if you come to LeRoy, the school and church are surrounded by upscale older homes, and a lovely man-made lake. LeRoy is NOT a poor community by any stretch.

I don't know where the train had the problem with the chemicals, but it certainly wasn't near the school.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I think it is a bunch of girls faking it.
Like 13 girls have it and then when the first adult gets it.. it's a girl.
I mean it's possible that it is something specific to females.. but not likely. Just more likely that 16 year old girls would seek attention in this way.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Personally I think the town was used as a test of a new type of biological contagion that was designed to see if they can target a specific race,age, and sex of people. That would make a very scary weapon. Sad to say our own government has a history of experimenting on its own citizens without their knowledge.
edit on 2/6/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I think it is a bunch of girls faking it.
Like 13 girls have it and then when the first adult gets it.. it's a girl.
I mean it's possible that it is something specific to females.. but not likely. Just more likely that 16 year old girls would seek attention in this way.

I agree! Lets see how long that can put this on. Guess they never read the The Boy Who Cried Wolf?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Conspiracy angle: as one previous poster mentioned, a test of a targeted weapon. although i highly doubt they would do it in an affluent town and not in the "ghetto".

Scary Angle: some sort of contagious psychosomatic issue.

Occams razor- likely angle: teenage girls seeking attention.

new topics

top topics

join