It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Debt Collection call

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So I just got a call from a debt collector saying I owe $391 dollars to a hospital in richmond, va. (She sounds really old and mean by the way) It was an ER visit because I hurt myself away in richmond, obviously.. Thing is, my insurance covers ER visits 100%. So I say, well OK, my mom handles the insurance so let me call her and find out what's up because my insurance should have covered that.

This is what irk'd me... "you're 25 and you have to call your mom to pay your bills?".........

so, the smart-a** in me comes out: "You're 65 and only made it as far as a debt collector?, Yea lady I AM gonna call my mommy and ya know you sound old enough to be HER mom! Have yourself a nice day." ::end call::

my heart is still pounding from frustration even tho I PHONE-PWN'D her




posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 


Next time, threaten to sell her cats to a Chinese restaurant.

Always works for me.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 

I would at least suggest next time you request politely to have everything in writing and then just hang up. Never do business via the phone, and certainly not with debt collection agencies. Just my 2 cents. Their tactics are usually bullying, demeaning or just downright rude. Don't let them get you into that state. Good luck.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
So I just got a call from a debt collector saying I owe $391 dollars to a hospital in richmond, va. (She sounds really old and mean by the way) It was an ER visit because I hurt myself away in richmond, obviously.. Thing is, my insurance covers ER visits 100%. So I say, well OK, my mom handles the insurance so let me call her and find out what's up because my insurance should have covered that.

This is what irk'd me... "you're 25 and you have to call your mom to pay your bills?".........

so, the smart-a** in me comes out: "You're 65 and only made it as far as a debt collector?, Yea lady I AM gonna call my mommy and ya know you sound old enough to be HER mom! Have yourself a nice day." ::end call::

my heart is still pounding from frustration even tho I PHONE-PWN'D her



Well she got put in her place! beeyatch!

When debt collectors phone me, i say "hey mr collector, glad you called i was worried! just to let you know i can only pay £5 a month towards this debt, if you have any problems then i'll see you at court, k thnx bai"

One of my best mates is a debt collector - via the phones. He tells me that if you offer them £5 a month on anything below £1000, 99% of the time they will not argue, unless they know your a person of wealth - and they do have a way of checking, probably through credit checks etc?



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
LOL big no no on her part. Your legally not suppose to get personal at all.
I think you handled that really well!

Besides, if she knew her job AT ALL, she should know you could still be covered under you parents!
edit on 6-2-2012 by chiefsmom because: sp



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
As fun as that sounds, knowing what these guys can do if they so choose, I'd be trying to keep on their good side


Upset them and they wont play ball in the future
They don't have a sense of humour



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 


This is exactly the kind of thing I will go nuts over. The shear rudeness some of these collectors are capable of.
I have had one call me because my insurance underpaid a medical bill by 2 dollars. Definitely not a big deal to me and I was more than happy to send a check, but this lady on the other end had a horrible attitude and the audacity to ask me: "Why can't you pay your bills?" to which I was forced to say some pretty explicit things. Mainly about how she should keep her mouth shut and find another job. One in which shes not communicating with other people, or requires her to use a computer (She took forever to pull up my "account". Something she should of had up before she called). I also told her to shove it, her debt collection agency wasn't going to get the check, and that my measly $2.00 was going directly to the hospital who I owed.

I called the hospital afterwards, and the didn't have a single problem with me paying them, and not their debt collection service. I'm not entirely sure that will always be the case, but the billing lady at the hospital seemed happy enough to accept my $2.00 directly without attitude, or incident.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 


Granted...the call was annoying and the woman was rude...and you were rude back...(which is understandable) but I got to thinking that the woman may have worked many, many years already at another profession she retired from and her debt collecting job is now just something to fill the time during her retirement and earn some extra change. I'm just saying.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 


Heres an easy way to avoid the hassle...

When you find out its a debt collector.... hang up the phone.

They arn't allowed to call you back the same day...

Next time they call.... repeat said process




posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by Gwampo
 


Heres an easy way to avoid the hassle...

When you find out its a debt collector.... hang up the phone.

They arn't allowed to call you back the same day...

Next time they call.... repeat said process

hehe


Seriously though, just deal with them
They usually aren't as bad as your imagination makes out, the ones who came to me were actually quite nice.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 


S&F
just for the LULZ!!!



edit to add better not tell your mom
she might not think it's funny

edit on 6-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 


I think the lady on the phone was well within her rights as a human being to express surprise in the way she did.. she is only human after all, and I too am just as much surprised to hear of someone your age relying on Mother to sort this stuff out.

And I do not think your response was at all honourable. More like your pride was hurt so you attacked her verbally.

You have not pwn'd her.. whatever the heck that means, you only showed her your immaturity.

So learn from this... how you can more effectively treat others even if you are offended by their honesty.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo
 

It was none of her business who handles the insurance in your family. I wouldn't expect my son to have all the answers on his insurance when the policy is his dad's through work. Next time someone gets out of line ask to speak to their supervisor. Those are magic words in a variety of customer service issues.



posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
reply to post by Gwampo
 


I think the lady on the phone was well within her rights as a human being to express surprise in the way she did.. she is only human after all, and I too am just as much surprised to hear of someone your age relying on Mother to sort this stuff out.

And I do not think your response was at all honourable. More like your pride was hurt so you attacked her verbally.

You have not pwn'd her.. whatever the heck that means, you only showed her your immaturity.

So learn from this... how you can more effectively treat others even if you are offended by their honesty.


In all honesty this is very true, but its human nature. However, I really did PWN her.



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join