It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's why Illinois is bankrupt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Where Your State And Local Taxes Are Going

Wondering what your taxes pay for?

If you live in Illinois, you might want to look at this....

I'm sure you'll find that the $250k+ wages are reasonable for public school teachers, right? Or the half-million+ wages are reasonable for university employees? Ever wonder why college tuitions are so high? Half-million dollar+ salaries might have something to do with that, eh?

Hmmmm....

Pigs at the trough folks, and you're being extorted to pay for it. Property taxes, income taxes, taxes taxes and more taxes. All "for the childern", you see, even though teaching and administering a school should be a middle-class job (which means it pays a middle-class wage, and that, incidentally, is $50,000/year.)

Oh, it doesn't stop with "middle class" teachers either. No no, we also have "middle class" cops and firefighters, who make well over $150,000 too. Naw, there's nothing wrong with that.

When you're done throwing up at the active duty salaries, you might look at "retired". There you will find people making more than $30,000 a month in retirement pension "benefits" -- promises your wonderful state and local governments made and now are fulfilling -- and guess who's getting the bill? You are.

Then there are the State Worker's Compensation Claims. Some are probably legitimate. But I gotta admit, getting $300,000 worth of taxpayer funds due to "overexertion by lifting objects" sounds pretty good to me. Where do I sign up to soak the taxpayer with this one?

And now you know why Illinois is bankrupt.

And it's probably the same thing in California and several other states.

Gonna be quite something to watch when the pensions and crazy salaries stop. Chicago will burn.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
In a lot of Illinois, 150k may be middle class. Also, I'd say that these people need to look into how much of the money was embezzled, how many small businesses have been killed, and how much the politicians are making.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Yeah 150k in Illinois is middle-class because everyone started being paid 150k! If you pay people more, prices will rise... whoever doesn't have a government job or is on unemployment is then screwed.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

So it's people's fault for making a living rather than the politicians who are mismanaging funds. I'd say maybe try to track down tax evaders and looking at what the politicians are making before jumping on the cops and the teachers.

Though I agree that the pension funds are ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
You know, I thought you were exaggerating until I discovered a searchable database for teachers salaries in Illinois.

www.suntimes.com... PageID=1&cpipage=10&CPISortType=&CPIorderBy=

I can't understand that. Why on earth are they paid so much ? Isn't Illinois a depressed, slum state ? Surely they don't have many recruitment/retention problems in that area to justify so enormous wages ?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have to say I am a little shocked at these figures! I have a relative that is a teacher in Illinois (not Chicago) and she would be lucky if she made $50k. I would guess it is more like $35k - $40k. I would also wager that no cop in that town makes anywhere near what they are claiming either. These figures must be based in Chicago?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Most these salaries ain't ``making a living``, it's way more than that. But anyway it's not the average guy's fault for being paid that much when the state obviously can't pay it... it's the politicians promising things that can't go on forever. Hell why would people refuse such high salaries? I sure wouldn't.

But they should not cry when the gravy train ends because it's unsustainable, because it will.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Well at this site...
Open the books Illinois

you can look up any salary in Illinois. ANY SALARY/PENSION/BENEFITS from any region in the state from any year.

Just looked it up a little... the dean of the university of chicago in 2007 made 2 million!
Like he deserves that much. PLEASE.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Well I have to say that I feel a little dirty seeing exactly how much she made.
(Just a little over $40,000). I don't think that this amount is unfair for a teacher. Now some of the other wages have my jaw dropped to the ground. I do notice that most of the higher paid are in Chicago. Maybe someone should compare to NYC and see just how uncommon it is.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I'd say maybe try to track down tax evaders and looking at what the politicians are making before jumping on the cops and the teachers.

If you have the tax evaders pay their fair share do you really think the politicians would spend down their debts?
More likely they would start another project to garner more votes.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

I have to say I am a little shocked at these figures! I have a relative that is a teacher in Illinois (not Chicago) and she would be lucky if she made $50k. I would guess it is more like $35k - $40k. I would also wager that no cop in that town makes anywhere near what they are claiming either. These figures must be based in Chicago?

If it's anything like Ohio the news media interviews the $40K teachers and their poverty woes. But behind them are the $85K PE teachers holding the 'Unfair" signs.
They always cry about the low starting saleries but never mention the automatic raises based solely on the number of years of service.

All public employees saleries should be public knowlege. I checked years ago and was shocked. Check your local district for your prices. But eat lunch before you go because you will too sick after.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Why is Illinois bankrupt: It's a Liberal state.

top topics

join