It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garage Door Openers Stop Working On Entire Missouri Block

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire

Originally posted by KillShotMi

Garage Door Openers Stop Working On Entire Missouri Block

stlouis.cbslocal.com

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP/KMOX) — It’s a puzzling phenomenon: On one street in St. Charles County, garage door openers have stopped working.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that no one knows what exactly is going on at Westhampton View Court. The garage door openers at all five homes on the court stopped working shortly after Christmas.

“It’s a weird, weird thing,” Joe Sullivan told the Post-Dispatch. “And the timing for it all to go haywire for everybody at the same time can’t be coincidence, right?”
(visit the link for the full news article)

LMAO...I was going to post this about 2 hours ago.

This is nuts. Why would all those garge door openers just stop working. EMP test maybe????

You conspiracy people, Its pretty obvious that's its Romney and not EMP testing.

He, is setting up to win the Missouri Caucus. His going electronic since they are catching him via video count fraud.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Around here once in awhile when an aircraft carrier shows up none of the key fobs work. The Navy always says they have no idea, but the issue is that someone left some electronic counter measures equipment on. These counter measures sweep a particular frequencyband and disable the signals. Chances are there is something transmitting near these houses. I understand it's not going to be aircraft carroer counter measures in Missouri. but something similar is likely the culprit, not the "earth changing frequency."

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KillShotMi

We used to be able to open our neighbor across the street's garage from our garage door opener....we would type in their password from our keypad and it would open....

We were friends with them so it's not like it was weird...more of a funny thing between families...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
someone drop me a line when the garage doors start bouncing up and down uncontrollably...you know Poltergeist style

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It is likely that such a phenomenon has been artificially induced by parties unknown. From the advent of the universal remote, and the portable signal blocker (carried by power hungry, cell phone fearing persons with money to spare and no respect for thier fellow human being) people have been devising ever cleverer ways of ruining peoples days.

I would have thought that some enterprising, yet thoughtless individual has scratch built a portable device which automatically scrambles the instructions sent from the control unit to the driver unit in the doors, so that the activation code does not match.

Car thieves increasingly use gadgets to read the electronic keys that most modern vehicles use, and steal thier data, so that they can then follow that car, and access it using the chip inside. This gives them access to the vehicles doors, and engine imobiliser codes, which even if the code set is what we call a "rolling code" (which changes according to a randomised configuration every time the key is used), can be usurped using a sufficiently clever program/device.

And to the person who wrote about the dashboard issues when waiting at a stop light... It may be that the particular stop light in question has a malfunctional or poorly focused communications set up. Most signalling these days is on a timer, with remote over rides which can be triggered by persons in a traffic monitoring station, or by emergancy vehicles comming toward them. Perhaps this is interferance caused to the vehicle by a badly structured system of that type?

Wireless gear is prone to mishap, attack from outside, and ill use from its owners, specifically because it has not got a physical element to it. Wireless systems are very rarely as secure as people would like to believe, either from an industry point of veiw, or from the point of veiw of the consumer. Its a fact of life, that as more and more of our day to day life is governed by virtually unsecured sending and reciept of data, so will our lives become less private, less secure against apparantly random incidents of failiure and so on. Sure, you have facebook on the move, but now a person can rob you of all the money you ever owned, without even seeing your face.

I prefer muggers myself, because at least you can make them bleed for your hard earned coin.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I will go with some with a new electronic device in there home that is sending out a signal and blocking one of the pulses from the door openers.
Find the homes affected and the one in the center is the likely culprit

By the way the military IED jammers work the same way by adding extra pulses the confuse the signal to a IED

I know some one that did a tour in the sand box working around the IED jammers and he said no cellphone would work within a 100 feet.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
In relative terms, this is in my backyard.

Nothing strange in my neighborhood except around the same time my wife's phone and mine both locked up with the alarms on during the same morning. I couldn't turn in off except by pulling the battery out. Her too!

Different phones, different alarm programs, same carrier.

What are they beaming in STL?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think you use 315 mhz in the states which is one of the low powered services you don't need a licence for,hence it's shared by lots of other things that share the same or a similar purpose.The remotes are of course coded so it's more likely it's a transmitter stuck on somewhere (intentionally or accidentally),and because they use FM it only needs a very slightly stronger signal to block a marginally weaker one.

Of course it's more likely it actually is a conspiracy as some people would want it to be instigated by the anti obesity campaigners,and is an attempt to give fat people who are too damned lazy to get out of their cars some exercise by waking in some cases a whole 5 metres to open the garage door by hand

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I have to agree with others. Probably someone has a new gadget on the block and it is pumping out a disrupting signal.

Wireless router would indeed be my first thought. Or maybe a baby monitor? LOL.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Maybe someone has a transmitter that is not to regs. Ever had two wireless mice in the same room and had interference? It's the same problem these guys are experiencing. Call the FCC and they will figure out who has the naughty device. Heck, a big enough Ham radio could do it.
edit on 6-2-2012 by antonia because: forgot something

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderboy2402
I have to agree with others. Probably someone has a new gadget on the block and it is pumping out a disrupting signal.

Wireless router would indeed be my first thought. Or maybe a baby monitor? LOL.

The fact that it started right after christmas is the first clue, whatever it is someone got it for a christmas present.

I have a very heavy foot so I not only have a very good radar detector, I have a laser blinding system too, and I would bet that those gizmos could mess with other electronics.

My radar detector is so sensitive new farm tractors with autosteer set it off.
edit on 6-2-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Apparently not the first time this has happened.

From 2004 .

SAN ANTONIO -- News 4 WOAI has learned about a homemade fix for a frequency problem that's jamming hundreds of garage doors on the Northwest Side. Ralph Samaniego says all you need is about 15 feet of copper and some time. Samaniego attached the copper to a small wire that usually hangs below the garage door opener, then extends the wires out to the front of his home. This creates some old-fashioned rabbit ears that gives your remote a bigger range of frequency. "I just happened to have extra speaker wires," explained Samaniego. "I crudely spliced into it and took it to the outside of the garage door and it worked." Not only has it cleared up the problem, but Samaniego says it has also helped his neighbors open their garage doors from half a block away.

www.woai.com...

A secretive Air Force facility in Colorado Springs tested a radio frequency this past week that it would use to communicate with first responders in the event of a homeland security threat. But the frequency also controls an estimated 50 million garage door openers, and hundreds of residents in the area found that theirs had suddenly stopped working.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

“frequency pollution” is a lie. garage door openers use Pulse Amplitude Modulation and are required to have a wide input bandwidth so homeland secruity can jam them. Jamming ability is also required of cell phones. You can prevent this from happening by designing and putting a very narrowband filter on your openers antenna (typically around 315MHz).

stlouis.cbslocal.com...

BTW,anyone notice the OP got bannzed?
edit on 6-2-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I liked this comment from an electrical engineer who commented on the original article.

garage door openers use Pulse Amplitude Modulation and are required to have a wide input bandwidth so homeland secruity can jam them. Jamming ability is also required of cell phones.

You can prevent this from happening by designing and putting a very narrowband filter on your openers antenna (typically around 315MHz).

So they will jam your garage door openers so you can't flee when tshtf,and jam you phones so you can't facebook and tweeter your friends that you can't get out of your garage!

That is for the ones that don't realize there is a manual release on that opener.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I saw this story on the local news last night. I told you it was near me.

The best guess so far is that either an external opener or a regular push button opener is stuck on and jamming everyone.

Seems logical.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

Where is this intersection in Australia?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Brunton Avenue, Punt Road. If you want the EXACT spot, let me know and i'll get a street view of it.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Mystery of garage door openers solved

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) — Residents of Westhampton View Court in St. Charles County have solved their garage door mystery.

Shortly after Christmas, garage door openers stopped working at the five homes on the cul-de-sac, drawing significant media attention.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch (http://(link tracking not allowed)/zHSeM4) reports that two neighbors figured out that a transformer for one of their landscape lights was emitting a signal that interfered with the frequency controlling the garage doors.

(post by lisaanden removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join