It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to stabilize underground bunker

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
i have bin drawing up plans to dig out my own underground shelter.. I have it all figured out but i want to know the best ways to stabalize it perfectly so no matter what happens above it, It wont cave in underneath. I have all the wiring plans for heaters and generators. There are lots of trees around but they rot and get soft. Any ideas will help thank you

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by demontigny

what happens if you calculated the unknown wrong and it THE BUNKER becomes covered by say 5000 ft or more of SALT water??? I WISH MANY UNDERSTOOD THE POWER OF FAITH

IF OBSERVED FROM SAY ABOVE HOW WOULD YOU BE VIEWED? ALL SAFE WHY OTHERS ARE ABOVE GROUND DEALING WITH WHAT IT IS THEY MUST. WHO IS GENETICALLY STRONGER THE HIDERS/survivers OR FIGHTERS/survivers???????
edit on 2/6/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

re-enforced concrete - lots of it

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Concrete block walls with rebar, concrete filled, and waterproofed. Remember, you still need to factor in drainage for underground water pathways.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

That about earthquakes? It would be a death trap.
I believe you'd be better off on an above ground shelter, or even a shelter built into a hill but not covered.
I would prefer a house that is built into a side of a hill and having the front aboveground, with the back of the house in a cut out area of the hill.
Kinda the best of both...that way.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Concrete and rebar, and make your bunker larger than it has to be. I have plans for one that has a spike pit and electromagnetic ejection system for easy escape.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
reply to post by Destinyone

That about earthquakes? It would be a death trap.
I believe you'd be better off on an above ground shelter, or even a shelter built into a hill but not covered.
I would prefer a house that is built into a side of a hill and having the front aboveground, with the back of the house in a cut out area of the hill.
Kinda the best of both...that way.

Mine is above ground, built into a mountain side, with underground basement. I moved to my current location from the San. Fran bay area 14 years ago, so I know about EQs, and completely understand your concerns...

Des

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

And, this has what to do with an underground bunker....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

simples.bury a double decker bus and silicone everything,will work for hidden in plain sight,but not so hot for fallout and floods etc

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Remember the giant springs and 25-ton blast doors.. like cheyenne mountain compolex

Throughout the Cheyenne Mountain complex, the buildings inside are perched on top of more than 1,000 of these giant springs, which are designed to allow the buildings to shift up to an inch in any direction in case of a nuclear attack or a major earthquake.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

wtf is
this ?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Yeah an Earthquake only moves the ground an inch or so...ok. I understand Cheyenne Mountain...how are mountains formed? Just because the government does it...it means its safe? They are always right...right?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well if you're being serious, I suggest that you do a lot more research, and I recommend that you contact a professional company that builds shelters. There are a lot of little details of building a shelter that you have to take into consideration, its a lot more involved then digging a hole and lining it with cinder blocks. As a matter of fact a square shelter is about the structurally weakest that you can build. Tubes and domes are much stronger.

You need to consider your ventilation, air filtration, your CO2 levels, and CO ventilation if you have a generator. You have to seal it against leakage that will undermine its structure over time, and make it a mildew pit that is unsafe for human occupation. You need to take into consideration the soil composition and water table. Water saturated ground amplifies shock waves and will turn the inside walls of your shelter into a big fragmentation grenade. How about overpressure? Do you have pressure relief valves? If your running a generator, where are you storing the fuel? How are you venting the fumes of that fuel? What about potable water storage? How are you planning on handling stagnation and bacteria growth? How many escape dig outs you have planned? Do you have a hydraulic ram in case something falls on top of your escape hatch? How are you handling waste disposal? You digging a septic tank and drainage field? Are you ensuring that your drainage field is not going to contaminate your shelter or its potable water supply? How about temperature control? How are you planning on not freezing in the winter, frying in the summer, and at the same time keeping the humidity from turning it into a big in-ground pool?

See, the devil is in the details, and building a real shelter is a big project that requires a ton of money. If you don't do it correctly you'll end up with at best a disgusting hazardous blight on your land, and at worst a complete deathtrap.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Okay first.. There are no earthquakes where i live.. And im not near any fault lines highly doubt ill ever see one.. Second i did my research on the best known kinds of shelters and i wanted plans on stabalization not a bunch of research on the bible. Thank you to those who stuck to what i asked. As for the hiding or fighting,, i am sure u cand fight a nuke if bombs start dropping i would like to live until its finished than come out fighting. Y do you think the u.s lost in veitnam. They dug holes and popped out everywhere. Thank you for sticking to the topic

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Then I suggest you start your own *how to survive according to the bible* thread, in the Survival Forum. Instead of derailing this one. Doesn't that make a lot of sense to you....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by demontigny
Okay first.. There are no earthquakes where i live.. And im not near any fault lines highly doubt ill ever see one.. Second i did my research on the best known kinds of shelters and i wanted plans on stabalization not a bunch of research on the bible. Thank you to those who stuck to what i asked. As for the hiding or fighting,, i am sure u cand fight a nuke if bombs start dropping i would like to live until its finished than come out fighting. Y do you think the u.s lost in veitnam. They dug holes and popped out everywhere. Thank you for sticking to the topic

Welcome
Either way your REAL support are here good luck in the digging.....

Originally posted by Destinyone

Then I suggest you start your own *how to survive according to the bible* thread, in the Survival Forum. Instead of derailing this one. Doesn't that make a lot of sense to you....

Ohh but that is my reason for being here or atleast 1 of them. Good luck to you as well in the digging.
I can cut it on but if you blindfold yourself there is nothing I can do except pray for you.

A test for your internal energies and a way to RAISE your frequency*

This below vid is from a thread by ItsEvolutionBaby from thread they started -What's Happening to Earth & The Sun? (video),- . Thanks ItsEvolutionBaby much.

Here is your personal test watch it and ask yourself how much of it you deny as something to ALERT to and how much do you consider normal waste talk. Your personal answer will alert you of how much in denial you are and if you recognize then you still have space to adjust if you see the vid as nonsense then................ MAY THE LIGHT GUIDE YOUR EVERY STEPS ENJOY THE VID I DID...

Your given warnings in the books you attempt to degrade just because some sapiens sapiens toyed with them. and then you deny any truth to these books seems the one below is just setting some up to actually COME to it below-

edit on 2/6/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I appreciate the prayers...not the unending bible quoting in this thread. I would prefer to go to a specific thread you started with *your* attempts to save me....

Des

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If the bunker is only for you or you and just several family members?, you don't want your bunker very big, because the larger the room the more likelihood of collapse. Back in the day they used to sell disc sets covering everything survival from military labs and one of them was on quick makeshift nuclear fall out shelters.

They would dig a 10 or 12 ft ditch 4 or 5 ft deep and roughly 3ft wide, then throw 8ft 4 inch diameter logs across it the full length of the ditch, then cover that with heavy mil plastic then cover that with dirt, then throw boulders on top of that, then on the inside they would hang hammocks in the center away from the walls and the floor, because any nuclear detonation will cause the walls and the floor to rise and shrink, which could have the potential to rupture your internal organs and break bones, so you needed to be suspended with a bungee or in a hammock to reduce the shock, but the ceiling wasn't an issue due to the log overage length and the soil coverage and would keep fallout off of you, they figured that 8 to 12 inches of soil cover would completely stop gamma radiation penetration.

If i was going to build a bunker, i would first dig down about 12 feet or more and lay a series of large truck tires several stacks deep and the entire square footage of the floor then build a steel frame freefloating floor frame that will support whatever you choose to use or build as a bunker to set on top of it, you do not want a solid fixed design, especially in the event of a flood or earth quake scenario, always remember to pour sand around your bunker so the water can quickly penetrate and allow your bunker to rise to the surface so it will float. a good water tight sealed fiberglass sphere or Egg Shaped design is really the best design due to its resistance to crush pressure, you might want to read up on submarine design, and especially oxygen manufacture and carbon monoxide scrubbers, these will be the costliest but most necessary elements you will need to sustain life in many catastrophic events.

Re-enforced concrete is not the answer and neither is steel, you need to use a material that has the ability to move that wont separate: IE: fiberglass ,plastic,rubber, wood,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join