It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shotspotter Gunshot Location System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Shotspotter Gunshot Location System

www.bbc.co.uk

Gunshot sensors installed in Birmingham missed five confirmed shootings but detected dozens of unconfirmed incidents, police figures reveal.
The sensors record an audio clip and send a GPS location.

An officer trained to listen to the audio clips, makes a judgement on what has been heard before deploying police to the scene.The system was "paused" for six months following a routine live test fire by police in May last year as it did not meet its accuracy targets.

It heard 100% of shots discharged during the test but only located 75% within 25m (82ft) and some of the gunfire was miscla
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This technology whilst being on the frontline to allow police to hear and determine if a sound is gunfire also must be able to listen to street conversations........ this brings civil liberties into the fold.
I cannot understand why the west midlands police were not using an audio data base of british gun sounds ? To say the system could not give a true account of gun type sounds is beyond belief...... only US gun sounds.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think this technology will have a CAP in terms of its applications, because sound waves get distorted very very quickly. That would make listening in on conversations very hard/impossible.

However this would work very very well underwater, maybe we can figure out what the heck that "Bloop" sound is...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid

This technology whilst being on the frontline to allow police to hear and determine if a sound is gunfire also must be able to listen to street conversations........ this brings civil liberties into the fold.
I cannot understand why the west midlands police were not using an audio data base of british gun sounds ? To say the system could not give a true account of gun type sounds is beyond belief...... only US gun sounds.

www.bbc.co.uk

Very cool tech, but yes....HUGE violation of rights. Story linked....

Shotspotter used to listen to street argument

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
wont the microphones be mounted on rooftops to get as clear a signal as possible so unless you do your talking via megaphone i doubt they will be able to listen to what you are saying, but you could wander around birmingham saying a few control words like bomb, david cameron is sane, dude wheres my gun and see if they rozzers appear

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
you could wander around birmingham saying a few control words

Id say that if the cops were listening that closely to everything, they would have arrested alot of airsoft/paintballers by now, accidentally

Overall a good idea, but then people will just wait till theres fireworks going off (or set a bunch off themselves) to get their murdering done.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Anyone have pictures of what these things actually look like? I know the manufacturers say they don't like publishing pictures because that "undermines their stealth" or however they put it, but I'm sure there are people out there who've documented them... I just can't find any good links

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1825114
Anyone have pictures of what these things actually look like? I know the manufacturers say they don't like publishing pictures because that "undermines their stealth" or however they put it, but I'm sure there are people out there who've documented them... I just can't find any good links

There are a few versions from what I understand, but here is one. They aren't anything out of the ordinary to see on a light post or building as most would overlook them or think it was some type of traffic tech.

edit on 2/6/12 by Vasa Croe because:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
What is really interesting is their ShotSpotter Special Ops package which is a portable, wireless, rapid deploy ShotSpotter system....that I would like to see/find pics of.

ShotSpotter Special Ops
edit on 2/6/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join