It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost for nearly a week, family considered eating pet. Would YOU do it?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

Nope.
2nd line.
I would eat the neighbors cat however.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've had dogs in the past and have been gutted when they passed on, but if I was faced with a situation where I had to witness my child starving to death then I'm afraid the dog would get it.

WOuld probably be traumatised for life mind you and I don't even know how I would go about it in as painless a manner as possible

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i would eat my pet.. i think most would in that situation, rather than die themselves. flight 571 surviviors ALL overcame the grossness and were eating human flesh within a couple days after the crash, admittely they just had to eat corpses and not kill and eat people.

It also makes sense to start killing and eating people before everyone starves and loses all of their body fat and meat. i think that makes the difference between a survivor and someone whose ganna die.

so yes i would eat my pet and i think most would after not eating for a week. Try not eating and excercising for a week.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I have had my dog sins she was a pup.
I lover her to much to eat her.
we die one day any way.
it is the way we live not how long we live.

so you eat your dog!
over the next hill you find a burger king.
and die becouse you have no money.
you would spend the rest of your
days wishing you had not done it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

To me, a pet is for these things, in order:
Protection/Alarm
Companion
Dinner

If it is between myself or my family starving, and Fido? Fido will make a nice meal.

edit on 6-2-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
If it is between myself or more family starving, and Fido? Fido will make a nice meal.

You know what "Fido" means, right? Food In Da Orifice.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by macman
If it is between myself or more family starving, and Fido? Fido will make a nice meal.

You know what "Fido" means, right? Food In Da Orifice.

Food is food man.

I think I would have to leave the end part out of the stew, but food is food.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

We're top of the food chain for 2 reasons. Reasoning(awareness) and thumbs. The whole animal kingdom is ours. Now, if we can survive ourselves...... that will be an accomplishment.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I dont consider dogs as pets; to me they are another four legged animal to satisfy my hunger.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFO1414
www.couriermail.com.au...

MEMBERS of a US family lost in rugged forest for nearly a week have said they considered eating their dog to stay alive.

So let me ask you, if it came down to it, could you kill and eat your dog to live?

I am not a pet owner but I understand how beloved pets are and almost always considered one of the family.

Is it the same as killing a member of the family to eat to survive? No wife or mother-in-law jokes please

Frankly, I wouldn't be able to kill my pet to eat for survival.

edit on 6-2-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

How hard would it be to find food in a forest?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
How hard would it be to find food in a forest?

It depends on the individual. Do you have even a basic grasp of nature? The wrong berries and you are squirting out necessary fluids. The wrong mushrooms and you are off to the grave. If you aren't ready for a given area, don't go there. I sure as hell wouldn't go to Detroit without a handgun.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

I know but that's not what I'm asking. I'm not saying put your feet in this families shoes. Say you were in some remote area with zero food sources but you had widdle cuddwy Fluffy with you.

Thanks all for your input!
edit on 6-2-2012 by UFO1414 because: Dyslexia

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My ideal dog was well versed in tracking lost game, warning of impending danger, attacking an intruder to give time to wake up and be ready, hunting small game for a dinner or two. He was an Australian Blue Heeler, the ultimate dog and I received him by accident off the streets of Albuquerque 1979.

Alas, I've had several dogs over my lifetime; only one has filled the aforementioned criteria. There is no way he would be eaten, only right by my side through thick and thin. As he always was.

But, the others: no way would I eat them either. But, using them for whining bait to get something larger for dinner, quite likely.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
if I had no alternative and my pet was going to die from starvation or something anyway...then I would wait as long as I could...then I would eat them. I would feel awful about it, but if it seems as though they may die anyway then I would want to survive for as long as possible assuming there was any hope of living after that point.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ahhhhhhhhhh the lowly dog.

Take a look at this video - dogs, and I am in agreement not only help us now but were pivotal in our development as a species. We hooked up together long long ago to ensure each others survival.

We have an extraordinary relationship with dogs - closer than with any other animal on the planet. But what makes the bond between us so special?
Research into dogs is gaining momentum, and scientists are investigating them like never before. From the latest fossil evidence, to the sequencing of the canine genome, to cognitive experiments, dogs are fast turning into the new chimps as a window into understanding ourselves.
Where does this relationship come from? In Siberia, a unique breeding experiment reveals the astonishing secret of how dogs evolved from wolves. Swedish scientists demonstrate how the human/dog bond is controlled by a powerful hormone also responsible for bonding mothers to their babies.
Why are dogs so good at reading our emotions? Horizon meets Betsy, reputedly the world's most intelligent dog, and compares her incredible abilities to those of children. Man's best friend has recently gone one step further - helping us identify genes responsible for causing human diseases.

My dog, all of my dogs - As stated in previous posts - I've been betrayed and abused by many of my fellow humans, looked down upon, laughed at, gossiped about, toyed with.

But never, of all my dogs (and even the wild wolf I met when I chanced upon him at around 11 years old and he outweighed me by quite a bit) never has a four legged canine ever betrayed or abused me.

My current dog - shy, scared, spent the first six years of her life as a puppy mill breeder with no human contact then when the puppy mill breeder in Georgia was done with her put her in a high kill shelter.

She was six hours away from being gassed (cage #2)...........no, I would never betray her trust nor ever let anyone ever hurt her again.

She has seen the dark side of man for the last time.

Very interesting video, worth the download and to watch.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

It depends on the forest. Not all forests are teeming with life.

They don't call the pine barrens in NJ the barrens for nothing.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'd eat a person before I'd eat my pets. I'm not a big fan of people mind you, so that's probably why.

Rev

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
No.

Period.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Not a chance, my dog is more likely to outlive me in a situation like that! Besides I have good survival skills, so I couldnt see it coming down to that....

The poster earlier had it right......These people ahd no idea what they were doing and had NO business being in that area wondering the woods....

They were not familiar with their area at all...

And let me tell you, having been in that forrest , and actually pretty close to their area, there is an ABUNDANCE of things to eat there, even this time of year.....

If they couldnt find basic things to eat, and think that "rubbing sticks together and cracking rocks dont work" then im surprised none of them mortally wounded themselves just walking around out there......

They need to stay in their camper and cruise on back to Oklahoma.......

The son of the two parents broke his ankle the article
says. I guess looking for all that food did it..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Good reply. The person beginning this thread may have not considered the following:

Some good laying hens Leghorns lay big white eggs and quite a few but are flighty, have to watch em or clip their wings which Grandpa did if memory serves me.

Rhode Island Reds lay brown eggs (they taste better) but not as many or as often - but getting 5-6 good laying chickens and you would have enough eggs to get your daily protein and eggs left over to barter and when they got old, if you could chicken dinner or barter them off to someone for chicken dinner if you couldn't kill them.

We only had around seven cows and had so much milk we sold it to the neighbors.

Sheep, They don't mind being sheared in the summer.

Personally I couldn't kill a cow, sheep, chicken, dog or pig..........we didn't have pigs, so I don't know about pigs.

Keep in mind, cows eat a lot and I mean a lot of grain, hay and grass. They also poop a lot so you have to clean the barn out every single morning. 365 days a year.

You would do better having some chickens and growing vegetables, have some fruit and nut trees and some berry bushes.

If TSHTF your dog might be needed to help herd, protect your chickens and alert you to approaching people.

Now if your just in the woods, almost all woods are teaming with edible stuff - get a good book and learn.

I was taught by my elders what to eat and what not to eat so I'm pretty much set. The idea of a grub isn't appealing but hey it's protein and low fat.

Most dogs would prove more valuable than many human companions. They hear better, see better, run faster, are more loyal.

Heck, eating your dog might be a real mistake. I don't hear well at all, but my dog lets me know who is approaching and I've taught her to quietly alert me.

Nothing like a dog - they are truly man's best friend.
edit on 6-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join