It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost for nearly a week, family considered eating pet. Would YOU do it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I don't think I could eat the beagle. I've seen the crap (literally .. her own crap) ... she eats and I'd get sick thinking about it. The fish in the fish tank on the other hand ... I'd consider it. They are goldfish, but they are now 8 inches long. I might be able to get something out of them ...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I wouldn't think twice about it.

My dog would want me to do it. He is that loyal.

The cat, on the other hand, I would eat just because ... well, just because.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
In a no win scenario it would be my absolute last choice to eat my house pig or my dog. There must not be any other source of food. I will dig through cow dung for seeds first

edit on 6-2-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

Yeppers I'd eat my dog in two seconds and your cat to if it came close enough and I was starving. No animal is more important then a human life.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

Are you kidding! Eat this adorable being, never.

I'm pretty much a vegetarian anyway.

Lucy is a hunting dog.............but the geese scare her.

Squirrels and bunnies, she makes friends with so I'de be out of luck if I couldn't grow enough veggies and get some chickens to barter for eggs.

Don't think I could kill a chicken either.

I did hit a mouse with a broom and killed it decades ago and still regret it.
But I had a childcare business and had a couple little tiny babies asleep in the next room and couldn't risk a mouse climbing up the crib and biting one. Still feel bad about the little field mouse, it shook in the corner.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dthwraith

Come near my dog and you just might end up in my stew pot, that is if Lucy would have you................I'm very good with a 45 now.

The arrogance of man.

I'm better than any animal. You my fellow, are an animal.

Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he is the only one that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot. - Mark Twain

edit on 6-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dsm1664

Best reply on the entire thread thus far.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ankle biters, yep, pass the skewer, the sauce and buns, nom nom.

Cats too, hate cats, vermin.

Big dogs, dunno if I could bring myself round to it.

Survival of the fittest......I doubt any animal that was starving, no matter how domesticated, would think twice about scoffing down some prime human steaks.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This topic comes up often huh? That's an incredibly inane thing to do. If you're that desperate maybe you haven't looked for other options nor understand them. What's going to happen after your eat all of your pet's meat? Eat your hand, food? Seriously?
edit on 6-2-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not a chance, my dog is more likely to outlive me in a situation like that! Besides I have good survival skills, so I couldnt see it coming down to that....

The poster earlier had it right......These people ahd no idea what they were doing and had NO business being in that area wondering the woods....

They were not familiar with their area at all...

And let me tell you, having been in that forrest , and actually pretty close to their area, there is an ABUNDANCE of things to eat there, even this time of year.....

If they couldnt find basic things to eat, and think that "rubbing sticks together and cracking rocks dont work" then im surprised none of them mortally wounded themselves just walking around out there......

They need to stay in their camper and cruise on back to Oklahoma.......

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Cat? Why? Not enough meat for a meal for one. Dog? Sure. I was a letter carrier for years. Hate the bloody things. It wouldn't be mine though as I wouldn't own a dog. I'd eat yours though.
And for those that think dogs have it over humans, the last dog that bit me a beat within an inch of its life with a hockey stick. It was never out of its house again when I delivered the mail. Oh, that was a German Shepard.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think all of us, myself included, would be amazed at what we would eat when it came down to real starvation. It's not a pleasant way to go at all and takes over a month, ultimately ending in organ failure, convulsions, and hallucinations. Social norms and our sense of morality are amung the first thing to go in a desperate situation, and people have even been known to eat parts of themselves rather than face starvation.
It's easy to say you wouldn't, but your own primal survival instincts are still quite intact and if came down to it, I think any human would probably eat Fluffy... given a similar, albeit grim, choice, Fluffy sure as hell would eat you.

Edit:

Originally posted by intrepid
...the last dog that bit me a beat within an inch of its life with a hockey stick. It was never out of its house again when I delivered the mail. Oh, that was a German Shepard.

How quaint.
edit on 6-2-2012 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFO1414
So let me ask you, if it came down to it, could you kill and eat your dog to live?

No...I'd kill and eat any number of OTHER animals in the deep woods where I'm lost. Does no one know any basic survival skills anymore?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
Does no one know any basic survival skills anymore?

I don't know if this is any kind of answer to your question, but just as an example, my stepdaughter had a friend who was about 17 years old at the time, and was utterly horrified to find out that potatoes grew in the dirt, she actually stopped eating her fench fries and threw them away. We all just looked on in awe.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

I just looked at the picture in the article and that pretty much answered my question.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

Originally posted by intrepid
...the last dog that bit me a beat within an inch of its life with a hockey stick. It was never out of its house again when I delivered the mail. Oh, that was a German Shepard.

How quaint.

Hey, I didn't start it. That was almost 30 years ago. Haven't been bit since. Why? When a dog comes at me I run... at the dog. We're top of the food chain. Animals know this. It's when WE forget that that they can get the upper hand. I've never eaten dog but hey, I've got Frank's Red Hot Sauce.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Actually the dog should have been way more valuable to them alive. A ton of advantages to having a dog around when you are lost.

1. Warmth on cold nights.
2. Nose and ears far better than a humans at detecting either danger or dinner.
3. Protection from some animal dangers.
4. An extra voice to call for help "arf arf"!

5. Dog may be able to lead you to water or catch a small critter for dinner.

No way I would consider offing the dog for vittles. If I'm that low I'm doing it wrong.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I got a Chihuahua, it would be more of a pain in the ass to try to get any meat off it, so no not worth the effort. I'd get a better meal out of a couple of tree rats!!!! Not to mention the kids would be pissed.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

How dumb can you be ??????

6 days ?

Walk any direction for 4 days and you are out of any forest in the US. Why didn't they just do that?

What were they waiting there for ?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

You would eat human for no other reason other then spite!!?? You my friend are one sick individual. Why should my family, friends, and other loved ones be deprived of their loved one because they were unable to eat their pet to live!??

Edit to add: I'd suck the bone marrow right out of your dogs bone and smile wile doing it. "Got hot sauce!?"
edit on 6-2-2012 by dthwraith because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join