It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost for nearly a week, family considered eating pet. Would YOU do it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
www.couriermail.com.au...

MEMBERS of a US family lost in rugged forest for nearly a week have said they considered eating their dog to stay alive.

So let me ask you, if it came down to it, could you kill and eat your dog to live?

I am not a pet owner but I understand how beloved pets are and almost always considered one of the family.

Is it the same as killing a member of the family to eat to survive? No wife or mother-in-law jokes please

Frankly, I wouldn't be able to kill my pet to eat for survival.

edit on 6-2-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

No, but my Brother on the other hand..He's a pain in the ass and is quite meaty.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

Not a chance. I would put my life at risk to save my pet from harm, if needed. Although my 100lb German Shephard wouldn't let me do that.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
No. Even if my cats followed me, I don't think I would eat them. They can find food for themselves and are a good source of heat during the cold.

My cats also like to bring me gifts from their little romps outside. Usually it's half a lizard or some bugs. I think I would rather eat these then them. I would also follow them to sources of fresh water, animals have a knack of sniffing these things out.

Edit: Wanted to add that they got lost in a FOREST. Okay, at LEAST 60% of the people on ATS see a rugged forest as a bountiful harvest of wild edibles. Even if you are not a survivalist, it's not hard to find food in a FOREST.
However it's another story if they were stuck in say...the Mongolian desert.
edit on 6-2-2012 by LeTan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'd rather teach my dogs to hunt, than eat them for a quick fix. That way I'd have food incoming all the time. (should they be able to catch anything)

but no, I couldn't bring myself to eat my dogs. Even if I were starving. I wouldn't eat my sister because I was hungry, and I hold my dogs to the same level as I do other family members.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFO1414

So let me ask you, if it came down to it, could you kill and eat your dog to live?
If they are incapable of finding anything to eat, for an entire week, then they should eat the stupidest one of the group, while the most intelligent member (aka ~ the dog) finds his own food.

Originally posted by UFO1414

I am not a pet owner but I understand how beloved pets are and almost always considered one of the family.
I am not a [color=FFBF80]'Pet Owner' either.

I just happen to have a very dear four-legged friend, whom lives inside of a furry feline body.

After thinking about it for a minute, I bet they were just jealous, because the dog had probably been eating all sorts of various edible delicacies, all week long.

Most people are just too stupid to survive in nature.

[color=B0FFDA]Animals are capable of quickly adapting.

edit on 2/6/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Surely if they could not even find basic sustenance in the woods then the dogs should have ate them as they are clearly useless

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I have 5 dogs that I call my sons

1. I love them too much

2. I couldn't take them seeing me kill them and wondering why am I hurting them

3. They would probably kill me before they'd let me kill them (unless I had a gun)

If they were starving to death and I had a gun then I would kill them out of mercy and maybe eat them, but that's about it. I could never kill them with a knife or hammer though, we'd have to all starve to death together.
edit on 2/6/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
People have been known
to eat each other when it came
to extreme hunger.

People say they would not
now but in that life or death situation
you never really know.

People do crazy things to survive.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
As a pet owner, I say no. My cat is a very special member of the family.

As a mother, if there were no alternative, there isn't anything I would stop at to keep my child alive. Sorry, kitty.

But it would seriously break my heart to do so. Luckily I carry extra food, water, and blankets in my car for just such an emergency!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Yeah that is true. The more primitive parts of the brain become active in severe starvation and the emotional/logic parts shut down.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ok so I read the article instead of skimming it. I'm sorry but even if these people killed their dog, they would have no clue on how to eat it. They would have eaten it raw and would have probably died from food poisoning.

Why would they have eaten it raw? Because.....

They were never able to start a fire, having no matches or lighters. "Every other time we been out there, every one of us had lighters, except this time," Dan Conne said. "Rubbing sticks together? That don't work. Slamming rocks together? Only on TV.

Gonna sound real mean here, but natural selection states that these people probably should not have been rescued. /flameshield

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

"She's that good a dog, she'd have done it, too," Mr Conne said.

OP's link

Yeah, uumm, I'm having a few doubts about that one.

Does not matter how much an animal loves you, if you start hacking away at a Pit Bull, with a dull pocketknife, I don't think she would just lay back and take it lol.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

how do you get lost for a week collecting mushrooms ? the dog should have run away to nominate them for a darwin award

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

My Son has two guinea pigs, I hear they're quite nice off the skewer.

Not much meat on them though, might as well not bother.

In answer to your question, yes, if I was starving I would kill and eat my dog.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

This is true, I would hope we never have to find out if we would eat the dog or not...
It would have to be desided on...at that time.
Depends on the dog...I am not a pet owner.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I could never eat my pets. I would rather starve and they could eat me.

However I would like to believe that I am intelligent enough to find something to eat and my Cats are always going to be able to hunt - its in their genes.

Never could I eat my pets - never.

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I could never do it either, Now someone elses pets? Well i don't feel -as bad- about that, but i still probably would not eat dog or cat.

Its not hard to catch a fish in a stream ya know,
If they considered eating the dog after only a week, they are doing it wrong. I can not eat for a week and not turn into a cannibal.
Survival, Doing it wrong i would say, theres lots of stuff to eat in the woods, you just gotta find it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Would I? I have! Best dogs and cats I ever had. Every couple years I do my survival training where i live in the forest in my back yard for 2 weeks just to make sure i can still do everything. By the end of the first week I had already gone through 5 cats and two German Shepards. Just to clarify the animals were already dead, i did not kill them for this.
edit on 6-2-2012 by JoshF because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2012 by JoshF because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The only way to truly answer this is if one has been put in that situation. But dear God, I cannot even fathom the thought of eating my beloved pet.
I'd rather die first. Then if someone ELSE decided to eat my pet, we' then would be together again on eternity's side.

I pray I never have to be tested this way. Feel for those who have. Bless 'em!
edit on 6-2-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join