It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian scientists reach buried Antarctic Lake Vostok

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

WOW, no mention of the reason for the radio silence? This raises a huge BS flag for me. I want to know what their excuse is.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

The team from Russia's Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI) had been drilling for weeks in an effort to reach isolated Lake Vostok, a vast, dark body of water hidden 13,000 ft. below the ice sheet's surface.

The lake hasn't been exposed to air in more than 20 million years.

Great find !!
Thank you, PhoenixOD.

I highly doubt that Lake Vostok hasn't been exposed to air for 20 million years.
I would like to know where do they take these data from.

I think that Lake Vostok hasn't been exposed to air for a much shorter time.
Let's say 11,600 - 12,000 years.

Why?

Because there was a huge catastrophe on Planet Earth, around 11,600 - 12,000 years ago,
of cosmic origin, which shifted the rotation axis of the Earth in a significant way
- let's say about 30° - 40° - in just a few hours.

Therefore, the Antarctica Continent was in a completely different position, before that time,
in a temperate climate area of the Planet - and until 11,600 - 12,000 years ago there was no ice on Antarctica.

There are a lot of clues and data which indicate this.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

I agree its very strange, i cant seem to find any info on why they lost contact. I really hope they didnt contaminate the lake with the 65 tons of kerosene they have been using inside the hole to stop it freezing over.

This is from a few days ago:

Ice isn’t like rock, it’s capable of movement,” Dr. Priscu told FoxNews.com. “So in order to keep the hole from squeezing shut, they put a fluid in the drill called kerosene. Kerosene also grows bacteria, and there’s about 65 tons of kerosene in that hole. It would be a disaster if that kerosene contaminated this pristine lake.”

But the scientists came up with a clever way to make sure this debacle would not occur. They agreed to drill until a sensor warned them of free water. At that point they will take out the right amount of kerosene and adjust the pressure so that none of the liquids fall into the lake, but rather lake water would rise through the hole.

Source

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd
I highly doubt that Lake Vostok hasn't been exposed to air for 20 million years.

Why?

Because there was a huge catastrophe on Planet Earth, around 11,600 - 12,000 years ago,
of cosmic origin, which shifted the rotation axis of the Earth in a significant way

Not a chance, I'd love to see your sources for that. An impact, no lets call it a collision with a sizable enough body in space to alter the axis of earth would be similar to the impact/collision believed to have created the moon. There is also no signs of an extinction level event at that time, which would surly occur after an impact large enough to alter the earth's axis.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't buy it.
30 years of drilling, all that time and money for what? Finding bacteria? Yippeeee, we found a bacteria that have been around for 20 million years!!!

They are after the magnetic phenomena. Something mysterious is going on. Why no explanation of the 6 days cut off?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Awesome, I been following this story since I first heard of it. I am really interested in seeing what is to be discovered down there.

But what if, lurking deep in the depths, is a cthulu creature? Or the "black oil" like in the X-files?!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

Not everything is a conspiracy, why then have the Russians started digging the Kola Superdeep Borehole since 1970? There is something as scientific discovery, curiosity, engineering achievements, etc...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Is this the same area where they detected metallic structures under the ice?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I hope they find something..A Dino or other animals, to get some DNA. Jurassic Park FTW!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Yes it seems there is was some kind of metallic anomaly detected there in the past. Some people seem to think it might be to do with an old Nazi base.

From a Daily Mail article a few days ago :

Karl Doenitz German admiral, and commander of the submarine fleet 1939-1943: A Russian news agency has claimed that he built 'an unassailable fortress for the Fuhrer' near Lake Vostok

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 6-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Why?

Originally posted by Illustronic

Not a chance, I'd love to see your sources for that. An impact, no lets call it a collision with a sizable enough body in space to alter the axis of earth would be similar to the impact/collision believed to have created the moon. There is also no signs of an extinction level event at that time, which would surly occur after an impact large enough to alter the earth's axis

Did I write “impact” ?

No, I didn't.
I wrote “something of cosmic origin”.
I refer to a strong electromagnetic interference by a cosmic “something”.
Could be a cosmic body passing nearby (nearby could mean between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars), could be a higly charged wave coming from the center of the Galaxy, or anything else.

I can post the clues and sources, but this would be off-topic in this thread.

Suffice to say this:

1.- Mammoths were found buried in ice, in Siberia, having in their stomach frozen vegetables. Those vegetables grow only in temperate to tropical climates.
Those vegetables were not digested, and were so perfectly frozen, that they could be eaten when they found them, just like frozen vegetables you buy in your store.
This means that the outside temperature in that part of Siberia suddenly went from +25°C / +30°C down to -20°C or colder, just in a matter of 2 or 3 hours (before digestion).
Such an event can be explained only by a sudden shift of the Earth rotation axis.

2.- There was an Extinction Level Event about 12,000 years ago, which caused many species to become extinct. This is well documented too.

3.- There is a high level of Iridium and of an isotope of Berillium, which are both very rare on Earth while common in space, found in layers dating 12,000 years ago.

4.- Look and study the rotation axis of Planet Uranus.
This will tell you something.

There are many more clues about such a catastrophic event in that time, and other members can highlight them, but I prefer not to make it too long here, as this thread is dedicated just to Lake Vostok.

To think that the Universe is a peaceful place, where nothing catastrophic ever happens,
is wishful thinking.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

The Nazi base was in Neu Schwabenland, quite distant from Lake Vostok.
And, given the depth of the ice, the metallic body generating the magnetic anomaly
must be much older.

I bet around 12,000 years old.
And I bet it's an Alien Spaceship.

But if it really is an Alien Spaceship, we shall be told it is just a weather balloon,
that some US aircraft dropped under Lake Vostok with some dummies attached.

Or some metallic swamp gas.

edit on 6-2-2012 by HeywoodFloyd because: edit

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Here's a nice Graphic of the the drilling at Lake vostok,

Graphic Lake Vostok

I'm very curious what they will find underneath that almost four kilometers of ice...

According to the graphical statistic they already have found I think several hundreds of micro organisms that has been there for more then thousands of years... Can somebody call CDC just in case?

I mean Hydrogenophilus thermoluteolus bacteria ... I guess you can fill your car with these and drive right?

edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Lol its like "Whaaaat water without fluoride in it! we must contaminate it"

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Its unbelievable I just realize they drilled for more then 22 years at this hole...
I mean after this evaluation , how long do they think drilling at Europa would take trip included?
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

WOW, no mention of the reason for the radio silence? This raises a huge BS flag for me. I want to know what their excuse is.

What radio silence?

What makes you so sure everything you read in the media, especialy when it has no corroboration whatsoever, is the truth?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The Nazi base was in Neu Schwabenland, quite distant from Lake Vostok.
And, given the depth of the ice, the metallic body generating the magnetic anomaly
must be much older.

I bet around 12,000 years old.
And I bet it's an Alien Spaceship.

But if it really is an Alien Spaceship, we shall be told it is just a weather balloon,
that some US aircraft dropped under Lake Vostok with some dummies attached.

Or some metallic swamp gas.

edit on 6-2-2012 by HeywoodFloyd because: edit

Or...a huge deposit of iron ore, left there by volcanic action 12,000 years ago....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

1.- Mammoths were found buried in ice, in Siberia, having in their stomach frozen vegetables. Those vegetables grow only in temperate to tropical climates.

No. But a handful of mammoth mummies have been found in the permafrost, and one, dating to ~40,000 years ago, contains remains of pants that are found in the Arctic today.

2.- There was an Extinction Level Event about 12,000 years ago, which caused many species to become extinct. This is well documented too.

It began ~50,000 years ago and is still ongoing.

You and I are the cause

We do have an awfukl lot of evidence that 12,000 years ago Antarctic had more extensive ice cover than today, and that it has had ice sheets for at least 35 million years - although they may have been less extensieve around 5 million years ago. There is no evidence supporting any idea of an ice free Antarctica within the lats few million years. None whatsoever.

I suggest reading this before commenting further

notendur.hi.is...
edit on 6-2-2012 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HeywoodFloyd

I wonder what is the TRUE cause of the magnetic anomaly at Lake Vostok, and I would be very curious to know the TRUE reason why the lake is so warm.

Maybe they still believe Nicolai Tesla is alive and gave some signals....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by KillShotMi
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I live in Michigan.... Ice sheets destroying property is a common occurrence around here.
Yeah, I see your reservations and raise you an imagination. 1st, create a larger opening, with dampening arms to anchor to the ice. The steel shaft would be shaped like a star with a rectangle center. When the ice shifts the 4 corners would cut into the sliding ice like a razor knife.

If they can make a product like Rum Chata they can surely accomplish this.

It took them 22 years to bore a hole less than 6" in diameter.

What you're talking about is a much much bigger project, and I seriously doubt they could do it even with more resources.

The only way I see it working is with a whole new technology.

Until then it's science fiction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join