It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shoots self in leg at gun show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Authorities say a Georgia man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg at a Savannah gun show.

Police say 26-year-old Charles Lake was leaving the gun show at the Savannah Civic Center around 5:10 p.m. Sunday when he discharged a round into his leg while re-loading his pistol.

Savannah-Chatham police spokesman Julian Miller says Lake bought the pistol at the gun show on Saturday and had returned Sunday to purchase another gun. Police say he was re-loading the pistol in the parking lot because loaded guns weren't allowed inside the gun show.

The Savannah Morning News reports Lake was taken to Memorial University Medical Center with an injury not considered life-threatening. No other injuries were reported.

Savannah-Chatham police are investigating the incident.

Article Link
edit on 6-2-2012 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is the kind of crap that makes gun shows look bad.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Doesn't make gun shows look bad, just re-enforces the fact that those of us that do carry need to be aware that there are those that carry and only know what they see in movies as far as how to handle them. Not sure how you can be reloading and shoot yourself in the leg if you know what you are doing. The obvious is that he had one in the hole and his finger on the trigger, that or he just bought a piece of crap gun that misfired.

I hate it when people like this give gun owners a bad name...one less gun in the hand of someone who probably shouldn't be carrying anyways is ok with me though....I'll stick with my 1911 and my fixed blade EDC's....tried and true in my life!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Guns dont kill people.......it takes human intervention to facilitate that accidental discharge

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Doesn't make gun shows look bad, just re-enforces the fact that those of us that do carry need to be aware that there are those that carry and only know what they see in movies as far as how to handle them. Not sure how you can be reloading and shoot yourself in the leg if you know what you are doing. The obvious is that he had one in the hole and his finger on the trigger, that or he just bought a piece of crap gun that misfired.

I hate it when people like this give gun owners a bad name...one less gun in the hand of someone who probably shouldn't be carrying anyways is ok with me though....I'll stick with my 1911 and my fixed blade EDC's....tried and true in my life!

I agree, but it still gives the media the opportunity to make a circus out of it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Ahhhhahaha.

thats like 2 in ten years now, one at a school and one a gun show.

Massive brilliant.

I cant smoke something because i might hurt myself (zero in thousands of years), but durp durp durp i can gots me a gun!! *Bang, woops there goes ma foot... Charlene, gets me a spare foot wills ya!*

lmao!!

Ahhhahah

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
negligent discharge, He was leaving the show and oops!
gunshot to the leg !

edit on 6-2-2012 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BooKrackers
Guns dont kill people.......it takes human intervention to facilitate that accidental discharge

True, it does take human intervention. In the same respect cars don't kill people.....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I agree, but it still gives the media the opportunity to make a circus out of it.

Yeah...sucks that all they focus on is the idiots that own the guns. On another note....Mother kills intruders

That kind of story is what should be put in the media.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The concept of shooting yourself while loading the weapon makes no sense to me at all. Loaded or not loaded, we are taught to NEVER point the weapon at yourself or others unless you intend to actually shoot it, we are taught this because, accidents happen.

Accidents even happen with trained professionals. Below is a video of a police officer who was going to schools and talking to kids about guns. Anyone want to guess what happens? He shoots himself in the leg. His mistake?? He didn't check the weapon himself. He was handed a weapon that he was told was not loaded, but the truth is the weapon had one round in the chamber.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Probably one of the best lessons those kids have had. Their reaction to the big gun said it all. "put it down"

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
And then there's also this guy who went viral for a time. This is the updated version complete with explanation.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
it happened in the Parking lot of the gun show...

LightSpeedDriver

beat me to the punch ...
with I just shot myself goof..

keep your finger off the trigger...
until your targets on site...

goes for you too Brian on ats recap

edit on 2/6/2012 by spoonbender because: not as fast as lightspeed

edit on 2/6/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Dont care how much I get abused... But you wouldn't have one tenth of a half, of the gun crimes committed if they were no guns.

Theres no point removing the guns, because thats just plain wrong. But not having guns is better than having them, in my opinion. You can show me any statistics you want, I still wouldnt budge.

Guns are bad, how fast and easy you can kill a person is one appealing factor to people who are not thinking right. If the guy couldnt get a gun, he'd get a knife or another thing - but the actual chance of surviving a knife attack or any other object other than a gun is very high, unlike been attacked with a gun.

Im not derailing the thread, i think its good that there's demonstrations on how to use them - If they're legal, then people need to be shown real respectability of having one. Its unfortunate that the demonstrator unloaded on his own leg - the irony is too funny, lol.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
His finger shouldn't have been near the trigger. He was probably re holstering his weapon. ..Keep that finger on the slide idiot.

Every time I go to a gun show, there is an officer checking firearms at the entrance table. There is always at least 50 rounds next to the officers, checking for live rounds. It is beyond me how idiots don't know, or seem to forget to empty their magazines before entering.

Even at the range you can't take a loaded weapon in. You have to load your weapon at the firing line...unless you're an Leo.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I always left my pistols sit on an empty chamber or use a dummy round in its place. It doesn't take long to put one in the chamber. The title of this thread is misleading. Shooting himself in a parking lot is not the same as shooting yourself inside the gun show.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Maybe they should create a mandatory class teaching gun safety to senior's in high school and they can't graduate until they take it. They teach them how to drive vehicles and death by vehicles have far surpassed the amount of deaths from guns. By teaching everyone gun safety, it will help others understand how guns operate and how to effectively handle one with safety always on their mind.

The majority of incidents that happen are because a person is interesting in guns, yet they have never been taught how to properly care for them. I say educate everyone. Like them or not, at least you know how to properly handle a firearm and it may save your friends life.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire
Maybe they should create a mandatory class teaching gun safety to senior's in high school and they can't graduate until they take it. They teach them how to drive vehicles and death by vehicles have far surpassed the amount of deaths from guns. By teaching everyone gun safety, it will help others understand how guns operate and how to effectively handle one with safety always on their mind.

The majority of incidents that happen are because a person is interesting in guns, yet they have never been taught how to properly care for them. I say educate everyone. Like them or not, at least you know how to properly handle a firearm and it may save your friends life.

I have often thought a lot of accidental shootings could be taken care of if a mandatory firearms class prior to purchase was enforced, but then if you look at accidental shooting statistics they are often because the owner didn't have the firearm under proper "lock & key" at the house and an unsupervised kid or "friend" got it. No way to effectively prevent that that I can see. I hate that bad gun owners give those of us with proper handling and training a bad name.

new topics

top topics

join