It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important Information for Parents from childs school...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by antar

A reply of "they are sick, the rest is none of your business" should be sufficient.
May I also suggest throwing in the term "HIPPA" once or twice???

Public School Teachers and Admins really are becoming just the absolute pox to the parent now days.

edit on 6-2-2012 by macman because: Spelling.

What a sweeping statement. I doubt very seriously the teachers have anything to do with this.

As a teacher, I can understand to a certain extent the use of such a list. Many times students come to school when they are still contagious and it causes a lot of illness to spread. Perhaps the school is trying to prevent the spread of infection. Since it is the school nurse who apparently requested the info, perhaps she is doing research or tracking information for a specific use.

Personally, I think its a bit much to ask parents to do. A simple "My child was out because she was sick" should be enough.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I do not agree, whenever one of my children are sick I normally call to talk with the school nurse to find out what is going around and how many students in their grade are out. This is MY responsibility, not the STATE.

At one point this worked out pretty well but after the whole vaccine for bird/man/pig flu happened everything changed, they no longer want to tell any parent anything about other children.

Also it is sent down by the State and not a curious or researching single teacher or school for that matter.

I find this a blatant undermining of my parental responsibilities and an undercurrent of changes to come over our rights as parents of children. With all of the new bills in congress to force teens to stay in school until they are 18, this is just more of that whole loss of freedoms.

When families are struggling to get by, many teens are going into the work force early and foregoing college for GEDs and 1-3 year training schools to go straight into the workforce and to either move out lessening the burden or helping their families to pay bills and put food on the table.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

One more very important point to be made is that since the no child left behind and all of the Government aid going to lower class and after school programs well as summer school, mediocrity is being pushed more and more to enable the schools to get the funding.

Also, schools reward Perfect Attendance, and that has been the biggest problem from what I have witnessed, the children come to school so sick so as to keep their status and the parents allow it. This is very very important in the spread of disease. because what would have normally been a reward for good grades now is a reward simply for attendance and for coming to school sick.

edit on 6-2-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

When headlice or conjunctivitis goes around the schools they send a heads up note for that, but when something more serious goes through the school they do not allow us to even get a count on missing students anymore.

I think it is because if you have a child with a immune compromised system, you will keep them home proactively as I did for a few days during the bird/pig/man flu scare.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I need to step out for a few hours, but please by all means keep this discussion ongoing as I will be looking forward to all the different view points on the subject, this really is the case for a good debate imo.

Thanks for all the replies so far, and imho I think teachers are being as manipulated as the families these days. An Orwellian future happens in little steps not giant leaps.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This is pretty much standard practice in the UK, but they tend to care only about their OFSTED points anyway.
I've even been hounded as to why my son was off in the day following THEM sending him home for being ill, or I get told he's been off when he hasn't and no, he's not stupid enough to truant behind my back.

When I had loads of time off when I was a kid with asthma, when they used to hassle my dad as to why I'd been off (like It wasn't obvious) he'd just send notes saying I'd had swamp fever, got bitten by a Tsetse fly or any other far reaching nonsense he could think of.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I don't think most people understand what HIPAA violations are.

There is a difference in saying, "Did you hear little Johnny got strep and came to school sick and Lisa and Leslie and Billy all got sick and had to go to the Dr too?!"

vs.

"17 Children to date have gotten strep in MIddleford Elementary School. If you notice the symtoms please keep your child home from school, and notify your Dr as soon as possible. Please also let the school know so that necessary steps can be taken to be on the alert for illness in other children that may have come in contact with your child."

Strep is a very contagious illness, and even though it seems to go away in a few days, if left untreated, it simmers in the system and can cause severe illness and even death later. Untreated strep is no joke.

This is all about tracking contagious illness to prevent pandemic outbreaks.

HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, which protects people privacy from outside vendors and people gathering data from a physician or hospital or insurance company. Nothing more. Disclosures of data is allowed, where identity is not related.

This has nothing to do with asking you personal questions. You can answer, or not, it is no violation to ask.

I also have to notify a Health Hotline where I work if I call out sick due to a contagious illness. I work in a hospital.

whatishipaa.org...

This very thing could save your child.

edit on 6-2-2012 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Ok just wanted to put this out for discussion, I received a note from the school which rather alarmed me in several respects, now perhaps I have been online a bit too long or even read far too many threads about the truth behind all of the lost vials and crazy information related to vaccines and the like.

Here is the letter the school sent:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS:
The ...county Health department is tracking all school absences. The nurses office reports weekly to them in the categories listed below. Please help us out when you call the school about your child not attending. If you do not call, the school will be calling you and asking for this information.)

County is requesting. So maybe the school has no say in the matter?

You sound like a very responsible parent. I'm glad to know you take such an interest in your child's education

Unfortunately you are in the minority (at least in my school district). Many parents do not have the time, inclination, or what have you to even attend a parent teacher conference. They also don't always pay attention to health concerns. For example, I had a diabetic student who needed his sugar levels checked every couple of hours. His parents were to provide the school with snacks for use in an emergency. They gave me one bottle of juice...and nothing else. I kept a log of his sugar levels, insulin use, etc. the doctor used to have me fax the info b/c mom and dad never kept up with it. Now I'm not saying the majority of parents are so irresponsible, but you'd be surprised at how many are.

I do agree with you, the checklist is too much. I just take umbrage that you blame it on the teachers. We already get blamed for everything when in reality we have little say in the decisions that are made

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My favourite is:

b. Influential-like illness

Sounds like an American politician's symptom.

Anyway, several years ago they started symptom gathering in USA using Internet searches. I think it was CDC backed; but, can't remember for sure. The idea was to be able to catch pandemics before they got a foothold.

I suspect the school reporting may be in a similiar vein (pun intended.)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

One more very important point to be made is that since the no child left behind and all of the Government aid going to lower class and after school programs well as summer school, mediocrity is being pushed more and more to enable the schools to get the funding.

Also, schools reward Perfect Attendance, and that has been the biggest problem from what I have witnessed, the children come to school so sick so as to keep their status and the parents allow it. This is very very important in the spread of disease. because what would have normally been a reward for good grades now is a reward simply for attendance and for coming to school sick.

edit on 6-2-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

Now this is spot-on. Perfect attendance is nice, but not at the risk of spreading illness. At my school we automatically send children home if they have a fever, throw up, or really act sick (you get to know who might be faking and who is really sick pretty quick). Sometimes this is really hard on parents, especially our single parents. They don't want to keep the child home b/c it means they miss a day of work. Tough situation.

No Child Left Behind has done more to hurt our school system in the US than any other single factor. Its a great idea and sounds wonderful politically, but it is impossible to achieve and we spend more time "teaching to the test" than actually teaching stiudents needed skills and how to think. In my opinion, No Child Left Behind = No Child Gets Ahead. It doesn't raise our low-performing students, it lowers our high-performing students.

Have you called the school and asked them why they are requesting this info? It is a HIPPA violation and quite honestly the school should know this. We keep the medical records of our students in a locked file cabinet; the only ones who have access to the record is the students' teachers. I know our school is very strict about confidential information.

Anyway, hope you get it straightened out. Just don't automatically assume its the teacher's fault

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Schools are paid a set amount of money per student, per day. If a child is out they do not get money for that child for the days he missed.
They could care less about the health or well being of the child, they just need their money in order to build a bigger football stadium, or a ridiculous fancy building that looks better than some small colleges.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

Another sweeping statement.

In North Carolina, our schools are NOT funded by student attendance. Instead, we receive money based on the number of students enrolled. We also receive funding from different sources.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
My apologies. I meant to say Texas schools, not schools in general.

Here is a link to show what I mean and why they don't want our kids to miss school. It isn't so much for their education, but more about money, just like everything else is.

www.news-journal.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

County is requesting. So maybe the school has no say in the matter?

Then let county officials come forward in such a manner that tells the public the reasons instead of passing the buck to the schools and setting the foundation for parents to misdirect their anger/frustration.

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

Schools are paid a set amount of money per student, per day. If a child is out they do not get money for that child for the days he missed.

They can use that excuse/reasoning all they want. It is a flawed aspect and I will not support it in any way or fashion. This is part of the bigger problem that needs to be fixed and until it is and if they want to throw that in my face as to "how things are", then I stick my hand up and they can talk to that instead.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
why are they now reporting to authority weekly.. that seems a bit over the top. surly if the school were to be asked that if there was a high amount of similar medical things going on that would be better.. seems they want to know more than a doctor would ask.

yes they should be told if its anything contaguois. as there are children that imune systems are not good. so the school can in form them.. over here we do not have a chicken pox vaxine given to everyone. but kids that do hve medical conditions that need to know. the school informs at first sign .

i also thing that teacters should not go to work ill .. so not to pass bugs round..

school nurse should also inform the parent when child has been to them.. as my sone didnt .. and the fact that i was trying to show the school and dr that something was wronge .. all was used against me after..

i do agree telling school that child will be off .. as other wise they may of gone missing or truanting. but i am fed up with overzelous . watching of our kids .. and the way everything is now logged ..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

"Then let county officials come forward in such a manner that tells the public the reasons instead of passing the buck to the schools and setting the foundation for parents to misdirect their anger/frustration."

I concurr whole-heartedly.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
My point is that schools are not about making our children smarter anymore.
Now, that does not include all teachers. We have teachers that absolutely are there for the kids.
I am referring to the system, not the individuals that work for it.
Our schools were nice small town schools with a good track record in academics. Unfortunately the opened they doors to anyone from any city to come to the school. I would have no problem with this if it were to help students who are struggling in the inner cities, but the main reason they did it is because they wanted to build a bigger school and grow in size.
Now do I really need to tell you why they want to grow in number? Think real hard about it for a minute.
Sports.
More students, means higher conference divisions. Which means better athletes.
All this means more recognition for the school, which in turn brings better players, and that all means more money.
Don't get me wrong. I love sports. My boys play sports for the school.I have no problem with them having a great team and more money for nice things.
The problem is they have lost sight of what is important.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

No Child Left Behind has done more to hurt our school system in the US than any other single factor. Its a great idea and sounds wonderful politically, but it is impossible to achieve and we spend more time "teaching to the test" than actually teaching stiudents needed skills and how to think. In my opinion, No Child Left Behind = No Child Gets Ahead. It doesn't raise our low-performing students, it lowers our high-performing students.

Have you called the school and asked them why they are requesting this info? It is a HIPPA violation and quite honestly the school should know this. We keep the medical records of our students in a locked file cabinet; the only ones who have access to the record is the students' teachers. I know our school is very strict about confidential information.

Anyway, hope you get it straightened out. Just don't automatically assume its the teacher's fault

First off I have no problem giving the school information on routine illnesses.

As to No Child Left Behind (NCLB), I keep hearing the same thing pretty much system wide - the teachers are forced to teach the test. My question is if you were to teach your regular curriculum, wouldn't these kids also be ready to do well on the test? What are they asking on the test that isn't covered under normal pre NCLB curriculum? Or is it to help them understand the porrly written questions on the test (turn them into dummies). Here is one from a sample math test.

There are 101 members of the band including the band major. If the band major is in front and the band members are in rows of 10. How many rows does the band make up? A. 9 B. 10 C. 11 D.12

My child selected C-11 and got the question wrong. Teacher insists the right answer is B-10. My child simply counted the band Major as a row. My argument is how many 10 seat rows would the band take up with 101 members? The teacher argues that the band major isn't in a row, although the question gives no information to that fact. Questions like this have appeared on almost every exam my child takes. I repeatedly send test corrections and never hear back from the teacher, but so far haven't pursued it any further. My child knows that if he gets a B in math, that I will recognize it as an A because of this, so it isn't worth ruffling feathers.

The point is if it doesn't make sense don't teach it. Better not to learn something than to learn it wrong. I hate the standardized test mostly because of the content rather than the idea behind them. I also think teachers would be better off just teaching their normal curriculum.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d
They could care less about the health or well being of the child, they just need their money in order to build a bigger football stadium, or a ridiculous fancy building that looks better than some small colleges.

Please show me one state that penalizes a school financially if a kid is out sick. Did you just make that up out of your head?

I can see penalizing them if they have a certain percentage that misses a significant amount of school but they are not penalized for a routine illness.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Read a little further down the page. I provided a link.
I don't make things up in my head and pronounce them as fact.
A little respect next time before you proclaim me a liar.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join