It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. drones targeting rescuers and mourners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

U.S. drones targeting rescuers and mourners

www.salon.com

The CIA’s drone campaign in Pakistan has killed dozens of civilians who had gone to help rescue victims or were attending funerals, an investigation by the Bureau for the Sunday Times has revealed.
A three month investigation including eye witness reports has found evidence that at least 50 civilians were killed in follow-up strikes when they had gone to help victims. More than 20 civilians have also been attacked in deliberate strikes on funerals and mourners.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This is so far beyond wrong that I'm at a loss for words. Not only are we waging in illegal war, it has now seemingly become SOP to kill those wanting to help rescue friends and family. This is why the slam planes into buildings and bomb us. Not because they hate our "freedom", its because the US has been bombing them since they were born.

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
History shows us that all great empires will fall some day. The US will be no exception.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
History shows us that all great empires will fall some day. The US will be no exception.
Unless the people do something about it. But sadly that day isn't coming any time soon it seems...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Why does this not need the same scrutiny that anything pro-US does? Why is this instantly believed when found on salon.com.. Really?

Ok, so lets assume some of it is correct. Lets assume we found a nasty little terrorist, tooling along (safely) through Pakistan. Our drone swoops down and blows him and his crew up... Then we spin around to finish the job... when we do, we see the terrorists running around. So we finish the job. We didn't know they were civilians. How could we?

I am going to look into this a little more. I would be willing to bet this is an anti American propaganda piece. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Quoted For Truth.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KillShotMi

i was a bit skeptical as well.
never heard of salon.com before.
checked around and the only other site re-posting the article is tribune.com.pk.
but that is again a re-post of the original from salon.
consider for a moment that, if, this article is valid.
is this not akin to a war crime?
but i'm sure the DoD will write this off as an attack on the comrade in arms for the first target.
more research is necessary.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

Before the drones, it was the Tomahawk missiles they used to do the same thing. The reason is not to kill a few "terrorists", it is to incite fear in the populace, hoping they will eventually be angry enough to do something about it(like 9/11), at which point the U.S Govt have what they want: a reason for implementing even structer rules and regulations on it´s citizens. The patriot Act, stricter TSA checks, and multiple other transgressions against the people was a direct result of the 9/11 attacks, which in turn was a result of the indiscrimenate U.S tomahawk missile bombings in the 80:s and 90:s. Now the same tactic is used with the drones, hoping for a "arabic counterstrike" in order to implement the next step of the "police state" agenda, as well as finally getting the reason to attack Iran and step up the war on terror.

This much should be obvious to anyone that bothers with researching these issues properly.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

www.democracynow.org...

I loved this interview with Johan Galtung... "I love the American Republic and hate the American Empire"
edit on 6/2/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by KillShotMi

Why does this not need the same scrutiny that anything pro-US does? Why is this instantly believed when found on salon.com.. Really?

If you read through the article fully, you would see they have posted links to back up the story, those links are from agencies such as CNN, ABC news, The New York times etc. Are these not credible to you? Also they have not made the report, they are just writing about it, they link to the original report in the posting which is alleged to have been commissioned by the Sunday Times, another reputable new source (well I don't think any MSM is credible, but at least it is recognised)

If it is true, and I do believe it is, then it just proves how sick our governments and military leaders actually are

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meaningless

Unless the people do something about it. But sadly that day isn't coming any time soon it seems...

The people have let it happen because they enjoy the reward. When the end comes, they will reap what they have sown.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You do in all reality realise that you cannot confirm most of those you killed were civilians. Terrorist do not wear uniforms. They look like every one else.

You have to wait until they shoot at you before you know who is who. Everyone carries guns over there.

False new report that apparently have no idea what they are talking about.

Eye witness accounts in Afghanistan and Iraq are to be taken as a grain of sand.

Lets believe the terrorist , yeah!

-------------

If you get blown up , i guarantee you half your body is gonna be missing and your weapon is gonna be 200 yards from where you were.

Basically , they shoot at you , throw the guns in a house or into a bush and walk off - they are now a civilian.

You kill 4 or 5 of them in a city fight. Their buddies grab their weapons and ammo and haul ***. So you go over there and you are like wtf , i just killed civilians ... it messes with your head.
edit on 6-2-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

You could not be more spot on. Our American soldiers are not fighting a uniformed army. They are fighting soldiers dressed exactly like the civilians. When these terrorists see the outrage over civilians being killed (by the international community) they adapt.

They would be foolish to not have their own rules of engagement.

Taliban / Terrorist Rules Of Engagement

1) Shoot at anything that moves
2) Intimidate the civilians around you, so you wont be outed
3) If you or one of your brothers is shot, dispose of the weapon immediately, put a copy of the koran in their hand.
4) Tell already intimidated populace to tell investigators and journalists that the dead was the head of the Pro American Charities in the area. Add a little story about how the killed was an exemplary human.
5) Rinse and repeat.

I am ashamed that our boy and girls are still over there fighting. Our Govt. has made that final step of the cliff of right and wrong. BUT, remember these soldiers are not the blood thirsty killers you make them out to be around here. They are helping the people anyway they can. You may not agree with the reasons or duration of the war...... regardless of your beliefs on that, it is irresponsible, and frankly ignorant to demonize them like this.

These "freedom fighters" or "terrorists" all depends on which pill you've swallowed, know that the world frowns on civilian casualties. Have we killed civilians.... of course.. But is it anywhere near the propaganda #'s? It would BE irresponsible and ignorant to say yes to that.

We are being lied to by everyone.... not just the US puppet masters!
edit on 7-2-2012 by ScarletWitch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
We drop bombs and hellfires from the sky and are called liberators, while they defend with nothing but homemade equipment their own homeland and they are called terrorists?

We the USA are the biggest terrorists with Obama being the captain of terrorism

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I suppose soldiers would not kill civilians if they were not so lazy. They need to identify what they are killing but that is just too much trouble. Yeah, I know it is the officers who give the order to fire, but they push the fire button. Maybe they could say "Sir, this target does not appear to be the enemy, I refuse to fire". Or here is an idea, get closer so you can see what you are shooting at. Then again, the idea of not killing civilians may have been abandoned years ago.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
You do in all reality realise that you cannot confirm most of those you killed were civilians. Terrorist do not wear uniforms. They look like every one else.

You do realize that you just attempted to justify bombing gatherings of civilians by saying that "terrorists do not wear uniforms" and thus everyone on the ground is a target... right?

I remember that you once claimed to me that you had tours of duty in Afghanistan where you killed "terrorists". Did you have the same mindset back then?

And you think that after 10+ years of the "terrorists" being attacked, that they would learn when and how Americans bomb them? I'm pretty sure that the "terrorists" would be smart enough to know not to assemble in large groups, especially in an area that has just been attacked because it is pretty damn obvious that a drone is observing the blast area and waiting for more targets to emerge.

I've read many accounts of how American drone operators work. One of the best examples was of some gung-ho drone operator unit that had a drone operating around a long-since abandoned Al Qaeda base in Afghanistan. The drone saw three men on the ground from several km away, operator determined that one of the men was approximately the same height as Osama bin Laden, and killed all three of them. Turns out they were just some guys from a local village collecting scrap metal so they can put food on the table.

And that's really the attitude that the US has towards the people it bombs: "we miss 100% of the shots we don't make". No wonder why there are so many "terrorists" out there for you to kill.

top topics

join