It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela threatens Britain over Falklands as its president vows to side with Argentina

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

What else could we be expected to do if Argentina decide to invade for a second time? We are not going to attack Argentina unless they strike first and if they strike first then they only have themselves to blame.

link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by michael1983l

Well if they consider themselves British then, surely being in their homeland of Britain would be a better prospect than Nuking S.America and killing thousands of innocent women and children. Call me anti British all you want, but I dont want to see the death and destruction of thousands in a nuclear attack, for the sake of national pride.

I would dare to say that even if full scale conflict did arise the use of nuclear weapons would be a 0-1% chance at most! I don't know why people keep brining it up, you are just trying to make your point for losing the islands based on something which in all honesty would not happen, the only reason we keep a nuclear armed submarine close to the islands/south Atlantic is purely as a deterrent.

Stop bringing it up.

link   
Double post.
edit on 6/2/2012 by ThorsBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by PrecogPsychicSensitive

It is not England it is the UK you know, The United Kingdom of Great Britain. Anyway besides the point, if you had have read your history books you would know that enough generations of those people have lived on the Islands long enough to dispell any right to claim by anybody else. The UK has been protectorate over those Islands since well before we knew there was oil. Even so it will be the Islands government that profits from any oil reserves not the UK.

Why should a race be moved off an island they have been on for generations just because their next door neighbour lays claim to their land?

Oh really??? Like the English claimed Australia, killed the Aborigines, then stole their land??? How many other countries have England done this too??

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

The OP brought up the nuking, not me. I was challenging the OP's willingness to destroy another nation using a "tactical nuke". Seems people are quick to toss the idea of nuking other countries that they have a bit of a problem with. Problems that could be resolved peacefully.

link   

We could always give the U.S back to the natives! Pack your bags your off on a holiday!

link   

Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by PrecogPsychicSensitive

England needs to quit with the colony crap and mind its own business, leave those islands to the South Americans to manage.. if the Islands were parked off Englands shores I'd say they have a claim, but they are half a world away. Is England that petty it must fight over tiny pieces of land? Apparently so.. shameful.

Shameful, what allowing the Islanders to choose their own soverignty. That makes us colonialists does it, letting the people choose to be part of our nation. I suppose Argentina forcing their rule on those people doesn't make them colonialist though?

Mind our own business? It is our Business, the government of the Falkland Islands have asked our protection against their Argentinian oppressors.

Please England... come down and start a huge war that will contaminate and destroy these islands ASAP!

I have read all about the history of those Islands.. its time England backed off... enough blood has already been spilt over a scrappy bunch of worthless islands.. oh wait.. did they discover oil? let the UN deal with it... you seem to like UN justice most of the time.

American by any chance?! Rather than judging the situation from the outside, imagine if it were you brought up on that island! Imagine if it belonged to the u.s, you had lived there since birth and now you would have to leave your house and possessions that you had worked hard for because another country (which is quite frankly beating it's chest) has decided they want to 'reclaim' it?!

PrecogPsychicSensitive, the keyword there being 'reclaim it'. As they have never owned the islands!

Think of someone coming into your house and saying i own this now as i live next door, even though i have no legal right to it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Again it is not England it is Great Britain and the British Empire ceased to exists in 1914 and since that stage we have allowed every nation to self determain their goverance.There's not much I can do about the UKs past and we are not proud of everything that has been done. However the British Empire was no different to any Empires of the past like the Romans or the Mongols or even the USA today. These things happen in history but that does not give the Argentinians the right to remove generations of people from their home.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Oh i see, i do apologise sincerely. I thought you just brought it up for no good reason, my bad!

Must remember to pay attention to every post

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

You do realise that a tatical nuke could wipe out something the size of a parade square right? Just because it is nuclear does not mean it will wipe out cities. No different to using uranium depleated shells, which are used commonly.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother

Originally posted by Knights

England needs to quit with the colony crap and mind its own business, leave those islands to the South Americans to manage.. if the Islands were parked off Englands shores I'd say they have a claim, but they are half a world away. Is England that petty it must fight over tiny pieces of land? Apparently so.. shameful.

Shameful, what allowing the Islanders to choose their own soverignty. That makes us colonialists does it, letting the people choose to be part of our nation. I suppose Argentina forcing their rule on those people doesn't make them colonialist though?

Mind our own business? It is our Business, the government of the Falkland Islands have asked our protection against their Argentinian oppressors.

Please England... come down and start a huge war that will contaminate and destroy these islands ASAP!

I have read all about the history of those Islands.. its time England backed off... enough blood has already been spilt over a scrappy bunch of worthless islands.. oh wait.. did they discover oil? let the UN deal with it... you seem to like UN justice most of the time.

American by any chance?! Rather than judging the situation from the outside, imagine if it were you brought up on that island! Imagine if it belonged to the u.s, you had lived there since birth and now you would have to leave your house and possessions that you had worked hard for because another country (which is quite frankly beating it's chest) has decided they want to 'reclaim' it?!

PrecogPsychicSensitive, the keyword there being 'reclaim it'. As they have never owned the islands!

Think of someone coming into your house and saying i own this now as i live next door, even though i have no legal right to it.

Who really landed on those islands to begin with? Dutch? English? Spanish? I'll bet it wasnt the English, they would have come last.. but we will never really know. As much as I depise the UN.. maybe they should sort it out? Better than drawing swords and seeing who's got the biggest set.. just stupid.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

No worries, I'm pretty quick to fly off the handle and am certainly guilty of not reading post and threads, I just get a little angry when the chest beating starts and talk of "tactical" nukes are mentioned.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Thats an honourable thing to do, however I have an Idea, I know this may sound crazy but hear me out. Why don't we allow the people who live on those Islands the choice of their own soverignty?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

No worries, I'm pretty quick to fly off the handle and am certainly guilty of not reading post and threads, I just get a little angry when the chest beating starts and talk of "tactical" nukes are mentioned.

Thats because you clearly have no understanding of what a tactical nuke actually is.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

It is all about oil, recent discoveries have been made recently, that and the fishing rights (even if not full developed) is extremely important to both parties.

I also support Chavez in general terms, they get the president that they chose, it still isn't a dictatorship and it is important to South America to stick together even for the wrong motives than to yet again crumble to external interests.

If Venezuela falls down into a dictatorship I will blame as the primary reason the need for protection against political interference from the exterior, in the lines of Cuba. Cuba only became communist and friendly with the URSS after the USA policy force them to make that choice for self preservation...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Thats an honourable thing to do, however I have an Idea, I know this may sound crazy but hear me out. Why don't we allow the people who live on those Islands the choice of their own soverignty?

That is absolute madness! Anyone would think you were thinking what the British government think!

It should be that way in all honesty, because the Argies will get a shock when they get shooed away by the islanders!

edit on 6/2/2012 by ThorsBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

haha.. yeah ok... let them take up the fight themselves with the resources available to them.. peaceful protest maybe? That would certainly bring the worlds attention to their plight and make Argentina look bad... and maybe even help their cause at the UN?

But England, Britain, UK or whatever you want to call it..
is going too far sending that mighty ship of death down there.. well thats my opinion anyway... been fun chaps.. Im outta here.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

So Britain should not defend its citizens? is that what you mean? how would you like your government NOT to defend you? you are shameful.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Just think of the amount of innocents who get caught up in it. It would be a new low for the British to use a nuclear device on Argentina. It certainly would not be something to be proud about.

I guess it depends where you want to fire it. I imagine in the middle of Buenos Aires or Caracas the damage would be quite significant.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

But England, Britain, UK or whatever you want to call it..
is going too far sending that mighty ship of death down there.. well thats my opinion anyway... been fun chaps.. Im outta here.

How is it going too far, it is a standard tour of duty. It will be there for around 6 months and will the be replaced by another warship as is standard. It isn't there to start a war but to deter one. It has gone down to replace the current destroyer that is down there as that warships tour of duty is up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join