It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by SteveR
There is no way they'd be stuck in an organ, they're simply too big to be absorbed by the digestive system.
“I think these findings are a big deal,” says marine ecologist Henry Carson of the University of Hawaii at Hilo. “These tiny pieces have the potential not only to get inside tissues of mussels and other animals,” he says, “but to actually move into their cells. That’s pretty frightening.”
A large surface-to-volume ratio allows microplastics to rapidly absorb toxic pollutants and to release them just as quickly to fatty substances inside an animal. This, Andrady says, coupled with their ability to be ingested by a wide range of the animal kingdom, “explains why microplastics are so worrisome.”