It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synthetic fibers and pellets-ocean pollution. Can they get under our skin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I had heard about this a few weeks ago.

www.sciencenews.org...

It makes sense that theses tiny fibers and pellets are in various water supplies.

Now, when we ingest them, are they passed out or do they stick in the liver?

In some sensitive individuals, can they accumulate in the body to make the notorious fibers of Morgellon's?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
from what I have read, they would stick somewhere, maybe inside of some cells. Or even if they pass out they might just offload their contaminants somewhere in your body.

Once these move up the food chain we could see a lot of sickness caused by this.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Interesting subject.

There is no way they'd be stuck in an organ, they're simply too big to be absorbed by the digestive system.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Interesting subject.

There is no way they'd be stuck in an organ, they're simply too big to be absorbed by the digestive system.

From the OP's link

“I think these findings are a big deal,” says marine ecologist Henry Carson of the University of Hawaii at Hilo. “These tiny pieces have the potential not only to get inside tissues of mussels and other animals,” he says, “but to actually move into their cells. That’s pretty frightening.”

If they can move into cells I'm pretty sure they can be absorbed by the digestive system, but even if not.

also from the OP's link

A large surface-to-volume ratio allows microplastics to rapidly absorb toxic pollutants and to release them just as quickly to fatty substances inside an animal. This, Andrady says, coupled with their ability to be ingested by a wide range of the animal kingdom, “explains why microplastics are so worrisome.”

even if they are not absorbed by digestive system, they could leave the contaminants behind which could get absorbed, or contaminants could have been absorbed as the food came up the food chain to finally end up in humans.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
We are exposed to so many pollutants on a daily basis:
-perfumes and dyes in cleaners and beauty items
-food additives
-off-gassing of pesticides/fungicides from new items in stores
-scented candles and room/fabric fresheners

just to name a few.

I am not sure how much our livers can handle.

I am a fiber artist and have been surprised how synthetic fibers can act as slivers to get under the skin. Micro fibers could work in even deeper.

top topics

join