It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Oprah - Encouraging Tax Fraud on Prime Time TV

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
With lots of fun and glee "Million Dollar Neighborhood" the pilot for her new TV show has residents of a local neighbourhood writing up their skills on a big series of boards and then exchanging their services for FREE to help this struggling neighbourhood to save big bucks.

FACT: Bartered "FREE" services are ENTIRELY TAXABLE at FULL RATE. Court judgements, all the way to the Supreme Court are all singular in opinion on this.

All those involved in bartering sercies for FREE could face criminal prosecution for TAX FRAUD and possible jail time.




posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballisticmousse
With lots of fun and glee "Million Dollar Neighborhood" the pilot for her new TV show has residents of a local neighbourhood writing up their skills on a big series of boards and then exchanging their services for FREE to help this struggling neighbourhood to save big bucks.

FACT: Bartered "FREE" services are ENTIRELY TAXABLE at FULL RATE. Court judgements, all the way to the Supreme Court are all singular in opinion on this.

All those involved in bartering sercies for FREE could face criminal prosecution for TAX FRAUD and possible jail time.


I hope you aren't going to report anyone...


It used to be that trading services was non taxable but of course the Govt. wants everything they can get from the little people.

Peace



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


I doubt the OP agrees with the law. He is at the very least pointing out Oprah's actions and the hypocrisy associated with them. If it is the case, no matter how stupid or unjust the law, she is encouraging people to break it.

That is a good representation of Western society. If it is Oprah, or some other large personality, perhaps a judge, politician, etc... When they break the law it's just a goof, didn't mean any harm by it. Sorry.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballisticmousse
With lots of fun and glee "Million Dollar Neighborhood" the pilot for her new TV show has residents of a local neighbourhood writing up their skills on a big series of boards and then exchanging their services for FREE to help this struggling neighbourhood to save big bucks.

FACT: Bartered "FREE" services are ENTIRELY TAXABLE at FULL RATE. Court judgements, all the way to the Supreme Court are all singular in opinion on this.

All those involved in bartering sercies for FREE could face criminal prosecution for TAX FRAUD and possible jail time.


I'm not a big fan of Oprah. But, I think the concept she is pushing is a great idea. Neighbors need to get to know each other better. Help each other out, in making for a nicer, and safer neighborhood.

I seriously doubt the IRS is going to be tracking down any neighbor trading neighbor with a helping hand....

Where I live, as a small rural community, we have been doing the same forever. I know of at least 5 homes built for families, by all volunteer groups of church people.

What's wrong with that I ask...it's the true American way....
edit on 5-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Whilst I would agree with the idea of repealing Income Tax, the fact remains that the current fiscal and funding infrastructure of the USA is dependent upon it.

If everyone starts exchanging services for FREE locally, it will massively erode the tax base, accelerating the US Debt and increasing the risk of default on US Bonds that would brutalise other country's holding US National Debt, such as Canada.

THis is quite apart for the entire moral question of why some people should be allowed to pay no tax just because they have the good fortune to live in an area where there is a hairdresser, an accountant, a man who mends lawn mowers, whilst those in country areas, no where near anyone able to swap these services should have to pay full taxes AND even more to make up for those not paying.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballisticmousse
Whilst I would agree with the idea of repealing Income Tax, the fact remains that the current fiscal and funding infrastructure of the USA is dependent upon it.

If everyone starts exchanging services for FREE locally, it will massively erode the tax base, accelerating the US Debt and increasing the risk of default on US Bonds that would brutalise other country's holding US National Debt, such as Canada.

THis is quite apart for the entire moral question of why some people should be allowed to pay no tax just because they have the good fortune to live in an area where there is a hairdresser, an accountant, a man who mends lawn mowers, whilst those in country areas, no where near anyone able to swap these services should have to pay full taxes AND even more to make up for those not paying.


When you reach my age of 61, and are still paying taxes as I do...bet you sing a different tune....



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   


The requirement to report barter payments only applies to payments made in the course of a trade or business, T
reply to post by ballisticmousse
 


I believe what I am reading from the IRS website , is that if something falls under a personal expense , that it does not need to be reported . Hopefully that is correct otherwise I'm sure every American belongs in the slammer.

If the world really reaches such a sad , money whoring state as: "I'll babysit for you if you babysit for me " , requiring a tax form ..I guess I'll have to settle for being a lawless thug




posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
My apologies, the town is in Canada, so it is VERY clearly breaking tax law.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11


I hope you aren't going to report anyone...



Peace


Since this is most definitely adding to my tax bill, yes, I am DEFINITELY busting these bastards!



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ballisticmousse
 


True, you do.. but seriously..... who cares?

Besides you? And the IRS?

Honestly, how am I supposed to have any semblance of allegiance to a nation that taxes free services? The amount of taxes we pay, the sheer number of various taxes, is absolutely disgusting. I wouldn't blame anyone for not reporting free services as a tax.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballisticmousse

Originally posted by jude11


I hope you aren't going to report anyone...



Peace


Since this is most definitely adding to my tax bill, yes, I am DEFINITELY busting these bastards!


I guess I retract my earlier statement then.

I doubt the OP agrees with the law.






posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13
 


The tax has a minimum monetary value, if you receive service that exceed a certain amount of money it's taxed as income (I want to say the minimum limitation is $10k), just like the gift tax (yeah.. sadly.. there is a gift tax)



new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join