It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.8 EQ Philippines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Another good size EQ just 20 minutes ago confirmed as a 6.8.

After the ones off Canada a day ago, some called an increase in mags for a few days so maybe they were right. Or just a coincidence as this is an area prone to these sizes.

Another member is seeing something here as well.

Thank you zworld
Deep Tremors and Big Earthquakes

As always, we wait...

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

No Tsunami warning yet:
ptwc.weather.gov...

Magnitude: 6.8
DateTime: Monday February 6 2012, 03:49:16 UTC
Region: Negros - Cebu region, Philippines

Confirmed by USGS:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 6.8
Date-Time

Monday, February 06, 2012 at 03:49:16 UTC
Monday, February 06, 2012 at 11:49:16 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 9.964°N, 123.246°E
Depth 46.6 km (29.0 miles)
Region NEGROS - CEBU REGION, PHILIPPINES
Distances 72 km (44 miles) N of Dumaguete, Negros, Philippines
74 km (45 miles) WNW of Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines
80 km (49 miles) WSW of Cebu, Cebu, Philippines
569 km (353 miles) SSE of MANILA, Philippines

edit on 5-2-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I know it's an active place there but damn, it was less than a month ago they had a 7.3 and a possible tsunami warning. Those poor people. Is it just because I'm now on ATS with some of the fastest reporting in the world or are these getting more frequent?

ETA Correction, ETA Correction, the 7.3 in Jan was in the Philippines but it's still close enough. .
edit on 5/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 5/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

edit on 5/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Recorrection pffff, it's late

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by jude11

I know it's an active place there but damn, it was less than a month ago they had a 7.3 and a possible tsunami warning. Those poor people. Is it just because I'm now on ATS with some of the fastest reporting in the world or are these getting more frequent?

ETA Correction, the 7.3 in Jan was in the Philippines but it's still close enough.
edit on 5/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

They do get more than their share of bigger EQ's don't they?

I couldn't imagine living there...never knowing.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I,ve been on Cebu for two years and felt nothing...take a trip back to Vancouver and this happens. I have been watching the area for 4 years....things are really starting to happen there now.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I guess you have more experience with quakes living in the US (?) but I have never felt one so have no idea what even a "small" one is like. I think I would be literally needing some very clean underwear though. A lot of those island folks live near or on beaches so a tsuanmi like in 2004 wipes out huge amounts of the people. I can't swim for Jack, I hate water and the idea of my house collapsing on top of me is just ...well, it doesn't bear thinking about. Europe has its plus points I guess.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Small, shallow quakes are like a 'bang'. There is no rumble or build-up associated with them (usually) and every time I have experienced one, my first thought was "something just hit the house". It seems to be the closest association my brain can make before my other thought process takes over and I realize it was a quake. I have felt this several times, with the smallest being a around a 2.0 and the largest around a 4.0, both in Eastern Washington and here is Western Washington as recent as last year.

Larger ones have more of a far off rumble that builds....like a really big train that then violently shakes you before then turning into a rolling motion like you are standing on a bowl of jello. I have experienced this twice. Once in California (on my honeymoon....hold the jokes
) a 6.0 back in the early 90s, and the last one a 6.8, the nisqually quake. THAT one was impressive. I watched a bridge wave and vehicles move out of their parking spaces with that one, and I was about 80 miles from the epicenter! It is all about what kind of ground you are on. On top of hard rock or sand? What type of plate tectonics are involved and if you are inside or outside.

Rule of thumb I have found though is the bigger it is, the bigger the build-up. I have told my kids that if they are ever in a quake in school where the rumbling/shaking is going on for more than a minute or two and is still building......get the hell out of the building. Neither one of their schools would even come close to standing up to a mega thrust event (probably crumble from anything over a 6.0 local)..... for open ground and lie down.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
aftershock warning for 2:00pm(in 10 minutes) How the heck do they predict that?

wife still feels vertigo....must be psychological.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
They do get more than their share of bigger EQ's don't they?

I couldn't imagine living there...never knowing.

Peace

My home for most my life. The last deadly earthquake we had was 20 years ago. Intensity 4 to 5 are common. We had at least one 2-3 per year in Manila.

I'm now in Auckland and planning to move to Christchurch, NZ. No, I'm not in any Earth sciences, I'm just a common worker!!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Wowzer! Thanks for that. It sounds like a freaky nightmare in the Twilight Zone. My experience is limited to seeing them in movies and youtube clips and you don't really get a feel for how it starts, just the end result.

LOL The honeymoon! No jokes from me but I am grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
Well, after reading you frankly quite frightening descriptions I can safely say I like it here just fine. Dang! Bridges waving? I'm never going to the US for sure! Or Indonesia or the Philippines or Iceland (ok, its volcanoes there but still) or any other place with tectonic plates and fault lines.

Thanks for the description.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

LOL....your welcome. Oh...and we have volcanos here too. I would tell you that story, but it would probably be easier (and quicker) for you to read the story in my sig. (the day my world shook) I was around when Helens erupted too.

Funny thing, both times I experienced the larger quakes i wasn't at all scared but quite excited. Both times I immediately went to where I could watch the action. Afterwards I was a bit shakey, but I think that was just the adrenaline wearing off.

Staying on topic...any further word of casualties/damage? I see there are still only two after-shocks so far (at least over 4.5) I hope that was it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Staying on topic...any further word of casualties/damage? I see there are still only two after-shocks so far (at least over 4.5) I hope that was it.

no but i guess Japan was still fresh in everyone's mind....people running for the hills.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
So is it the shallow quakes or the deep ones that cause the tsunami's ?

This one was pretty deep (29 miles) so I'm thinking not much splash will follow ?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Death toll in Visayas quake rises to 7; 29 missing

RIP Be well Kaibigans!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Magnitude 6.2
Date-Time

Monday, February 06, 2012 at 10:10:24 UTC
Monday, February 06, 2012 at 06:10:24 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 9.835°N, 123.131°E
Depth 35.4 km (22.0 miles)
Region NEGROS - CEBU REGION, PHILIPPINES
Distances 60 km (37 miles) NNW of Dumaguete, Negros, Philippines
82 km (50 miles) WNW of Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines
94 km (58 miles) SSE of Bacolod, Negros, Philippines
578 km (359 miles) SSE of MANILA, Philippines
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 15.6 km (9.7 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 88, Nph= 88, Dmin=407.4 km, Rmss=1.91 sec, Gp= 50°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0007wiv

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by corporation
40+ dead
newsinfo.inquirer.net...

Thank you but please elaborate for those that are following the thread.

Peace

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I posted this thread here and i feel that you may find some of the information relevant.
Its up to you, i am not bumping just making you aware its there thats all.
here I would have posted it on this thread but i am talking more about Taal Volcano.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
let me state this Philippines is in the Ring of Fire, i see a next big one hitting Japan again, not sure, but looking at the image will show you that Japan is right on top of the Philippines. This 3 massive quakes definitely moved the plates left and right, and might cause an Earthquake in Japan , probably, just gotta be on the safe side.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Though the Philippines is in the ring of fire, it seldom get that powerful quake. It is always Japan and Indonesia that gets magnitude 6+ earthquake.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
look at Port Vila. i think the earth is cracking its back.....it's been a long day for her.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join