It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea using old, US-made drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
South Korea is reporting that thier Northern friends have purchased some old U.S. drones from Syria !!

Apparently they are somehow retrofitting the things with explosives to use as attack drones.

Against who ? ... who knows.

They supposedly bought some old MQM-107D Streakers.

The South says some tests have happened, but unsuccessfully.

Published February 05, 2012
NewsCore

PYONGYANG – North Korea's hard-line communist regime is using old US-made target drones to develop unmanned attack aircraft, South Korea intelligence sources said Sunday.

"North Korea recently bought several US MQM-107D Streakers from a Middle Eastern nation that appears to be Syria, and is developing unmanned attack aircraft based on them," the South's Yonhap news agency quoted an intelligence source as saying.

Its powerful military placed explosives on the drones in a number of tests, but was yet to master the technology, the report said.

The US drone flies at 40,000 feet and a maximum speed of 575 mph, and South Korea fears it could be used to target its troops stationed on islands near the tense border.

The MQM-107 Streaker series was developed in the late 1970s. Almost 700 MQM-107Ds were built for the US armed forces after its introduction in 1987. The Streaker drones have been sold to a number of allies in the Middle East and Asia.

N. Korea Drones

Can Drones Carry Nuclear Warheads ??

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I suppose it could,
The max takeoff weight is 664kg (though I have no idea what the weight of the craft itself is), the smallest nuclear weapon is only 23kg. So it does seem as if it could carry it. The weight of most nuclear weapons are not given and neither is the weight of the craft which makes this a bit difficult, but I would think it could carry the 60kg 500kt one as well.
I do hope they don't decide on that.

wiki link

link

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Good info and links

Thanks.....

Pentagon Wants 80 to 100 Long Range, Nuclear-Capable Drone Bombers

LATimes
Published: 05/25/2011

Now on the Pentagon wish list is a proposed fleet of 80 to 100 nuclear-capable bombers that could operate with or without a pilot in the cockpit.

edit on Feb-05-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Jeesus!
The Trident missiles in the fleet of nuclear subs arent enough?
Nor thr Atlas intercontinental missiles hidden in their silos?or the minuteman missiles?
And the B2 Spirit atomic bomber?plus a whole range of short range nuke weapos and deliver systems from cruise missiles to fighter bombers, Not to mention Hundreds of huge SAC B52 Bombers......NOW They want DRONE EFFIN BOMBERS TOO!
How many bombs actually have to fall to destroy the entire known world???
Id reckon fifty would eff it up to no return....what do they plan to do with all the over KILL?????

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I thought they were supposed to be getting rid of the nuclear bombs or such?

I get it now, they will get rid of them by attaching them to drones and sending them to another country, its a win/win, they win war in whatever country they want and they get rid of the nuclear bombs. Great idea NOT.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Syria should never have had them as the US never sold them any.

These were target drones and would be of limited use as a weapon.
en.wikipedia.org...

About the only use that NK could use these for is if they had a couple 100 would be to over load the south Korean air defences with fake incoming targets with maybe 50 to 100 pounds of high explosives so they would have to be taken out.

Its almost imposable for NK to have a nuke weapon small enough to use on one of these. It took the US many years to design the mini nukes they have and its unlikely that NK is anywhere near that far along in there program.

new topics

top topics

join