It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Btjunkie is gone Forever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
For those of you who may be interested, one of the better torrent sites has gone offline permanently just moments ago.

BTJunkie was an advanced BitTorrent search engine. It used a web crawler (similar to Google) to search for torrent files from other torrent sites and store it in its database. It had nearly 4,000,000 active torrents and about 4,200 torrents added daily

While torrent sites have been used by media pirates, these websites also have legitimate uses in helping to share free media and content. It is unfortunate that these sites are now going offline due to pending legislation and negative attention.

RIP btjunkie!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Am I the only one reading this as "Well it would be nice to have freedom, but fighting is a pain in the ***, so we are giving in...?"

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
that sucks i like that site... at least piratebay is still up for now.... if it all ends up shutting down wtf am i going to do? actually get off my lazyass and pay for a movie, cds, games? noooooooooooo.....

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I would believe something along those lines.

However, it is much easier for people to act courageous when its not their A** on the line.

BTjunkie has already faced a lot of scrutiny in italy and europe. They probably figured it was better to quit while their ahead instead of facing lawsuits and incurring legal fees.

On the other hand, there are still many other torrent sites, and I have a sneaking suspicion that more copycats will begin. Most specifically, I believe the anonymous collective will make some public action to replace this loss.

If that answers your question?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

It actually happened right around the time you made your post. I was actually browsing the site when it went down.

Guess i was investigating to long

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

haha, I guess it really did just happen then, it's breaking news!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Which would explain why theres no "breaking news" link to post yet!

The site was acting very weird and i had a feeling it was about to go down. perfect timing with the superbowl

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ahh dangit! This was my favorite site!!!

I really liked how they had comments and votes on each of the torrents. Helped to weed out the fake/viruses.

Anyone know of a similar torrent search site that has these features?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

Am I the only one reading this as "Well it would be nice to have freedom, but fighting is a pain in the ***, so we are giving in...?"

Well that depends, would you be offering to go to jail for 20 years for the owners of the website should they be prosecuted?

If so, they are giving in.

If not, then no.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I am willing to give MY LIFE for liberty...especially freedom of expression.

In my mind there is no greater cause than that of freedom...what should I fight for if not that? Money, stability, security?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

I am willing to give MY LIFE for liberty...especially freedom of expression.

In my mind there is no greater cause than that of freedom...what should I fight for if not that? Money, stability, security?

I asked if you were willing to go to jail for a website for copyright violations. It is a yes or no answer.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I see this as a battle against an overreaching tyrannical government....you see copyrights, I see speech in all forms....or do you think that only games, and movies are on these sites?

Short answer...yes, but I would not stop fighting back. No matter what they do to me. Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, and compromise in response to tyranny is no virtue.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

I see this as a battle against an overreaching tyrannical government....you see copyrights, I see speech in all forms....or do you think that only games, and movies are on these sites?

Short answer...yes, but I would not stop fighting back. No matter what they do to me. Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, and compromise in response to tyranny is no virtue.

Whether or not I think it is all about copyrights has little to do with the matter. It could be anything, I simply wanted to now if you would sacrifice 20 years of your life for what you see as freedom. You say yes. (Harder to say than actually do) but, that's all I was looking for.

Most people would not do it.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

It could be anything, I simply wanted to now if you would sacrifice 20 years of your life for what you see as freedom. You say yes. (Harder to say than actually do) but, that's all I was looking for.

It is indeed harder to do than talk about...but I see no alternative. I will not allow myself to be controlled.

I've already been married once.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

It could be anything, I simply wanted to now if you would sacrifice 20 years of your life for what you see as freedom. You say yes. (Harder to say than actually do) but, that's all I was looking for.

It is indeed harder to do than talk about...but I see no alternative. I will not allow myself to be controlled.

I've already been married once.

You get a star for that one.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

dear friend, there are better ways to fight than to go to jail!

And thats all i will say. I hope you can figure out the rest

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm involved in an annual charity event. Last year they enacted a piece of legislation that could make us personally liable for a whole range of offenses, both criminal and civil. We (the organisers) are very concerned, because at the end of the day, it's not worth going to prison for.

Now i'm not talking reasonable things here, we have public liability insurance and so on, but essentially they have outlawed all public events, and even once you have "permissions", they can still decide you are liable for something you were never made aware of.

It's very real, all this legislation they've made, and frankly it's NOT going to prison for, these guys are smart, they'll make their money elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
So yet another site has decided to shut down/change how it works, seems they are getting what they want without the passing of the extra laws. The whole Megaupload thing shows they have existing laws to use as we speak. That I believe was nothing more than a message being sent to all sites that can be used for file transfer, and it seems many were listening.

Are there other sites that can be used? I am sure there are a few; I do not know what they are though. TPB has been said to have a lot of viruses and such, and still others require a membership and/or even an invite to have access to DL torrents. If you are going to be DLing anything it might not be a good idea to have a membership to such a site at least that is my opinion. Still certainly there are other sites that will work and soon be considered as good as Btjunkie. I would be interesting in hearing about them, this sort of discussion is very interesting to me as I have listened to both sides.

One side blames the web sites the other says DLing is not illegal. I am not going to get into the legality of the issue or even the morality of it. The sites though are not to blame as they are nothing but a tool to be used. They are not going to actively take the time and monitor each and every torrent and they should not have to unless a complaint is brought up against said torrent. If a torrent is complained on and is found to be of infringement then they could take it down. At the same time how would one know the torrent is infringed material unless they DL it themselves? As has been pointed out those who are working on passing the laws are the very people that are also using the sites to DL stuff.

I do not believe this has as much to do with copyright laws as it does the censorship of the free flow of information. However, continue to squabble about the copyrights being the ultimate evil while a corrupt corporate government robs and enslaves the people it is supposed to represent.

Raist

edit on 2/6/12 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

+1 Star!

Anyways. No... No... This is not happening. This is truly dark days for us. They may have taken down our peers, that doesn't mean we will give in that easily. We can still survive the ordeal my friends, and there is always a way!

edit on 2/7/2012 by Labdarex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join