It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

badly need help installing new keyboard in laptop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
badly need help installing new keyboard in laptop

my wife has a laptop model eMachines eME442 V2.06 which is about 16 months old and guarantee has run out.

the keyboard has a lot of keys that dont work on it but works ok with an external keyboard either plugged into a usb port or one with bloetooth but it is not very practical.
i have removed the keys that dont work and completely cleaned it all with compressed air etc but still no joy.
i want to buy a new keyboard and replace the faulty one but what exactly do i need to buy for it and is it easy or hard to remove the old one to replace and how is it connected to the laptop?
i know i fitted a new laptop screen for my m8 last year and that went ok as i had to connect it to a ribbon for it to work ok.
is the ribbon on a keyboard soldered in or just slots in?
#wife keeps using mine which is a pain so i need this sorted asap.
think it was either the dog`s saliva that went on her keyboard as he likes to go close to it when shes typing, or cig ash, coffee etc......
laptop works perfect except for this......................

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I know it is probably not the answer you are looking for, but why don't you buy a simple external USB keyboard?

In that case she will at least leave your laptop alone.

edit on 5-2-2012 by ALF88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
external "virtual" keyboard

link   
Taking a laptop keyboard out is not hard... Usually 3 to 4 screws in the back that are marked. I can help. Been taking laptops apart for years for work.. A+ certified, Lenovo, Toshiba and also HP certified.. They are all pretty much the same.. Some models like toshiba, you pop the button cover on top and there are 2 screws there.

link   
An eMachine, is pretty much disposable. Its a disgusting waste of resources, but thats how the tech industry works, they make things so ridiculously expensive for parts thats its cheaper (well almost cheaper, the lure is the new one is twice as fast...) to just replace it with something new. Sad state of affairs really.

edit on 5-2-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

It's not the exact model you have but this will at least give a good idea of what is involved.

If you have a service manual (find it online) it should tell you exactly how. Hope it helps.

ETA The ribbon connector is not soldered. That would be a pain. You just pull it out and insert the new one.

This might help you find a replacement keyboard if you haven't got one already. Price seems to be 20-25 quid
Ebay
edit on 5/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Keyboards for laptops aren't difficult, unless the thin wiring is really short. I would google around for a used board or maybe a new one. Also if you search the model in and use "take apart" or "replace keyboard" it should come up with something.

Typically there is a bar above the keyboard that can be removed and the keyboard is either snapped in place or screwed in place. Also there will most likely be a thin ribbon type thing (not sure what its officially called) hopefully its long enough to put your had under so you can put the new one in.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Is this model similar to yours? If so, you could follow this video up to 8:00 mins to see how to remove the keyboard for replacement.

edit on 2/5/2012 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As you can see in the picture its a slide in ribbon cable so you should have no problem installing it.

www.ebay.com... 252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D270894588588%26ps%3D54

Before you buy one I would open up your laptop and take a look at the keyboard. Play with it and try to see if you can fix it your self. They are easy to replace, just take out a few screws and snap some plastic pieces. If you dont have experience with stuff like this it can be frustrating. Just take your time and be gentle.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
sorry i never got back sooner, but have been busy of late.
I followed instructions here to the letter and took me a bit of time to lever out the old keyboard as it was stuck with grime etc
On fitting the new one it wouldnt work until i saw i had put the cable to the switch on top instead of where the bit slides out and slides back in to lock it.
Once that was corrected it worked no problem and is working great still since then.
Many thanks to the help and support i got here.

top topics

join