It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found this strange stone. Is there experts here of ancient tools? Also everybody feel free to specul

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I found it in a place where ice age left a huge chunk of ice and when it melted it left a crater. And quite near the place there has been found artifacts of ancient civilisation, spearheads etc. Little bit uphill of this crater I found this stone, just caught my eye!
It gives me a feeling to be a tool of some kind, and a penis symbol also comes to mind(thats why I keep it under my bed:lol

I try to give the photos now, hope the links will work.
And mods, please move it to right forum if this is wrong, thanks. And sorry I had only 2mmegapix camera.
Here are the photos in all angles and notice the bulkhead smoothness.
" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WeekendWarrior

I love these threads! I'd give you an idea, but man...can you get a few more focused pics? The ones you have are hard to tell details since they are blurry.

Thanks!
edit on 5-2-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It looks like the crusher piece of a set, I can't remember what they're called though. There's a matching bowl, and herbs and spices are put into it and that piece crushes them.

I was watching and looking for your thread.
I had to find this forum, and then I saw your post. "New topics" and "firehose" are not refreshing proper.
Again, glitchy site lately......

** found it
Mortar and pestle en.wikipedia.org...

That would be the pestle.
edit on 5-2-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'd say an axe head but I'm no expert.
look forward to the ideas.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Could be a pestel.........but more than likely just an eroded rock.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It looks like a stone used for grinding seeds, half of an ancient mortar and pestle set.

Are there any grinding holes in the area?
edit on 5-2-2012 by occrest because: spelling

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I agree. Looks like a pestle. Keep digging for the mortar!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I'll try within next week to borrow a decent camera. If it helps to get certainty in what it might be or not, I will do it

I've had this stone for over a year now and I want to know if theres anything to it..

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yes, that would explain why its grinded so smooth the top part of it. That thing also have crossed my mind.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

Well, that specific area hasnt been searched really, there is a decayed ski-jump tower at the crater and I think not even one excavation has taken place in there. Its in the middle of the forest and has quite unique feeling in there. Next summer I will go to observe it more carefully.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

IT'd help if we knew where on the planet you found this.
You mentioned area where glacial retreat from last ice age left evidence, but, that could still be almost anywhere in the civilized world.
Knowing the area of the planet gives us a good indication of the local geology.

On initial eyeball, it looks to me like good old limestone.
It also looks like chert.
It looks like quite a lot of things on the outside.

Is it chipped anywhere where you can see inside of it?
Breaking/flaking a piece off a corner or point or part of it would give us a better idea too.

You can also google 'testing rock hardness'.
Getting an idea of it's hardness can narrow down possibilities.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Any idea of the material it is made of? That would give a better start to figuring out what it is. From the pics it doesn't appear to be a cryptocrystiline rock and looks more like Greenstone. It does somewhat resemble a pestle atone but it could also be a crude forget or a plummet. If you can, check out Overstreets Guide to Indian Artifacts, it has pictures of thousands of artifacts. Also what region was this piece found?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

What about a fossilized tooth worn down by glaciers or riverbed? Maybe a killer whale? Walrus? Polar Bear?

From this angle anyway...

Cool find. I'm jealous. If I lived near a glacial moraine I would be out digging in it all the time.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Looks like a blunt tomahawk thingummy. Someone gave me one as a pressie years ago, similar in shape to yours with a wooden handle that was split so far down with stone set in between and tied with some sort of animal skin. Blooming solid it was. I think it was a souvenir from a Cherokee camp but I did use it for a hammer now and again.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

They looked much clearer on my phone

Maybe use some software you could see more clearly.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
awesome find !!! hope someone can identify them for u on here

im no expert but they look like some kind of grinding tools to me, like some others said above me

edit on 5-2-2012 by spaceg0at because: sp

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Now that would be cool find in Finland! Are you sure, do you have any photo to show the similarity?
And thanks for your reply. Same goes to all of you

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

morter and pestle. i think thats how you spell it

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Oh com'on, dont feed my imagination more. I will be wetting myself

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It could be a small celt, drom what I can tell in the pics the stone would possible be appropriate. Most of the time celts are larger than that but they are usually made from a non-cryptocrystiline stone such as Greenstone, Soapstone, or even Granite. They are usually made using a peck and grind method since these types of stone can't be knapped by flaking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join