It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

February Tropical Storm??!! It is possible!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There is an area of low pressure in the Gulf of Mexico near the Yucatan Peninsula that they are saying could for into a Tropical Storm, in February!! This isn't unheard of it happened with the Groundhog Day storm of 1952, but it is very odd! Half the world is freezing and the other half is wondering where did winter go!!

They say if this forms into a storm it'll go over Florida.

The calendar says it's early February, but that is not stopping the tropics from trying to come alive in the south-central Gulf of Mexico. The area of concern is a cluster of showers and thunderstorms spinning in the southern Gulf of Mexico, near the Yucatan Peninsula. This rather weak area of low pressure has not only put the AccuWeather.com Hurricane Center on alert, but prompted the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Fla., to state, "this area is being closely monitored for possible further development."

Source

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

Well with all the weird weather we've been having this year, I'm not surprised. The Climate is in a period of flux, do to increased solar activity. I expect for the remainder of 2012 and 2013 we will see some weather pattern that are far from normal. What the future hold I can't say, but it should be an interesting not the less.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Doesn't surprise me, with all the things happening, such as the magentic poles shifting at a faster and faster rate, the oil spill in the gulf, the nuclear problem at japan. Whose to say if the earth is being influence by Jupiter or if there is a planet x, I agree with the above post I think this year will be the real change.

If the world was to go into an ice age what would you do to survive.... would you pretend your a zombie...... mmmm brains......

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me as here in northern MN it has been much like late April weather instead of Early February.

And then Europe is freezing.

Well you all can have that cold weather! I'll take this early warmth anytime!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I live in Miami.
I haven't seen anything in the news. But it's not outside of the realm of possibility that this could form into a stronger storm.
However this would depend on many factors.

Currently the weather is a bit on the cool side. I see a forecast for the week into the upper 70's for the highs.
I'm don't know what the water temperature currently. It probably isn't right for hurricane formation.

In any case I doubt that will form into something more powerful.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The water in that area of the Gulf is near 80 degrees! It's right on the threshold for formation! I live near New Orleans, and I have seen noting on the news about this either, I don't think it'll form, but the fact that it is a possibility to me is big news!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
And where are the "Nah.....everything is normal" guys ?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I always pay attention to the weather in
the gulf later in the season. I suppose
I had better get with it. Good catch OP,
I really hope this doesn't develop.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It's possible, but there is a lot of sheer in the upper atmosphere, which may not allow any formation..
I sure hope it doesn't form.. That adds yet again, another notch in the 'the weather is screwed up' category...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

i was saying to a friend just yesterday the exact same thing that it seems like early spring already and its even nicer out today.

im a fan of taking advantage of this weather as in canada where im from we're usually making igloos around now (not really
ive only ever made 1 igloo) but seriously i was able to walk outside shirtless today and there is usually a foot of snow by now and instead of being positive 9 Celsius which it has been its usually -20. i usually count the days in spring until it finally gets back to double digits and this year it bet its already been past 10. not natural from my years of experience

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Here there's a list of off-season atlantic hurricanes.

It's true that if you remove April-May-June and November-December (month that aren't usually defined as "off-season" for hurricanes), it occured only twice the last century:

- January 18–23, 1978, sub-tropical cyclone, MPH wind speed: 45 (75) Pressure: 1002
- February 2–3, 1952, tropical storm, MPH wind speed: 50 (85)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
They are now giving this storm a 30% chance of developing!! Scarey times we are living in!

Edited to add:
Our local news in New Orleans is about to cover this
edit on 5-2-2012 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
OK so it just came on our local news. The weather lady, Margret Oor said it has a possibility of about 30% of development, she said you can go back in history and see this would not be the first storm that formed this early, 1978 would be the last year this has occurred...... so ..... I googled it and this storm began on January 28th, this was also a year of above average storms.

I really hope this is not the start of a year full of Tropical madness!! I'm just getting over Katrina!!

Can't believe the Gulf is still at about 80 degrees!!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Coming from northern North Dakota- I'm with you!!! I can deal with a bit of rain or fog- don't have to shovel that.

After a high of 54F today, I wonder where winter went also! I do think however, that it is a normal flux in our weather patterns and not necessarily something to become alarmed about. It takes more than one year of weird weather to make it a true concern. I think folks are jumping the gun.

Peace!
SK

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Here is a more credible source of information:

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

The NHC is giving it about a 30% chance. Thing is, the 30% category is given to many systems throughout the year, and most of them move on to nothing more than just a cluster of showers and thunderstorms. However, it is a bit unusual for even something of this stature to form in the gulf this time of the year, but certainly not bizzare with the weather pattern we've been having this year.

Good post OP.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I was just wondering what are the odds about a week ago when I thought what if a tropical storm developed? Then I decided not to ask anyone because they might think I was crazy. Of course I have seen a few storms pop up where they are something called extra tropical or some kind of mix between tropical storm and winter storm. It sounds like the water is warm enough for a storm to be completely tropical. It doesn't seem like February here in South Carolina. It was in the 70's the other day and flowers and trees are blooming already like they might in late March or early April.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Well according to out weather person it has about a 30% chance of developing, that doesn't seem like much, cause basically all storms have that percentage chance of developing!! LOL I am just struck by how early this is occurring, it's February for crying out loud!! If this storm would form it would only be the third in known history to do so at such an early time!!

I don't know what 2012 will hold for us or our planet, but I do hope it'll go out MUCH quieter than what it seems to be starting!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
So they are still saying about a 30% chance of development, and if it would be named anything it would be the first name of this year Alberta!

Seems to be moving pretty fast, it'll get picked up by a cold front in the coming days!

Here is the latest satellite image of it:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Where do these storms go when they break up? Do they generally head back into the Atlantic or just kind of disappear over land? I have to confess i have never really thought about that before - you kind of just concentrate on the storm itself......

Reason i am asking is because if it heads back into the Atlantic, it may translate into lots more snow over Europe and the UK!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBRiddle

Well with all the weird weather we've been having this year, I'm not surprised. The Climate is in a period of flux, do to increased solar activity. I expect for the remainder of 2012 and 2013 we will see some weather pattern that are far from normal. What the future hold I can't say, but it should be an interesting not the less.

Really, it's not surprising. Global warming experts have long warned that increases in the Earths temperatures will lead to weather extremes. Those that cared to look would have known it was coming. Some businesses such as insurance companies have been adding global warming to their prediction models for a while.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join