It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Almighty Snow Cricket!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Ok, so I walk out of the house today to go and open the doors for another business day. Man I hate working on Sundays but we do what we have to do right?

And I come across this little guy:

He's sitting next to the fence line and as you can see we have a nice view...

The only problem here is that we are in the mountains of Canada and it's February!

This is what it looks like when there isn't snow on the ground...August I believe it was.

So the only conclusion I can arrive at is that I have discovered a new species...The Almighty Snow Cricket!

Just wanted to share and offer up even more evidence of the winter that never was. Or at least the one that didn't act according to plan.

50 yrs and never seen this before. And BTW, I did give him a little poke to see if he was alive...Nope.

Peace

edit on 5-2-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Nature never ceases to amaze me. He must have crawled out of his nice warm house for some reason? Nice.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Looks like a Box Elder Bug to me.

University of Minn

They come in different colors.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Looks kinda like this guy to me:

Leaf footed Bug

See those guys all over Houston all the time. They're a kind of 'stink bug' and will release and rather unpleasant smell if you pick them up or poke at them.

Edit: What's all that white stuff on the ground?
edit on 5-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by jude11

Nature never ceases to amaze me. He must have crawled out of his nice warm house for some reason? Nice.

The strange thing is that this is the second one in a week. The first was on the door step in front of the business. Never took a pic but he was dead as well.

Wonder what's making these guys come out so early? It is warmer than usual but their instincts should tell them to stay in bed for a few more Months.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
reply to post by jude11

Leaf footed Bug

See those guys all over Houston all the time. They're a kind of 'stink bug' and will release and rather unpleasant smell if you pick them up or poke at them.

um...that's snow...
But you are joking of course.

I poked the little guy but dead he remained, so no smell. Here we just call them crickets.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Looks like a Box Elder Bug to me.

University of Minn

They come in different colors.

Nope...this is a new find and I call it "Snow Cricket"

Actually, those others in your link are cool looking. Mine is just big, black and ugly.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

reply to post by jude11

Leaf footed Bug

um...that's snow...

I poked the little guy but dead he remained, so no smell. Here we just call them crickets.

Snow! OMG that stuff is dangerous. I've heard stories. Someone once told me it's like being INSIDE the freezer part of the refrigerator, but ALL THE TIME for like months!

That must be terribly scary!

Anyway, those guys are pretty prevalent around here. I think there's one hanging out on a plant on my porch right now. Here's a link to info about them: Leaffooted Bug

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

reply to post by jude11

Leaf footed Bug

um...that's snow...

Snow! OMG that stuff is dangerous. I've heard stories. Someone once told me it's like being INSIDE the freezer part of the refrigerator, but ALL THE TIME for like months!

That must be terribly scary!

Anyway, those guys are pretty prevalent around here. I think there's one hanging out on a plant on my porch right now. Here's a link to info about them: Leaffooted Bug

When the poles finally flip...I'll be the one laughing!

I wonder what Canada would look like with Palm Trees?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
A lot of insects go into a state of hibernation when they get frozen solid in the winter. Then when it gets warmer and they thaw out they wake up and go looking for food. This little guy must have thawed out for some reason

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
A lot of insects go into a state of hibernation when they get frozen solid in the winter. Then when it gets warmer and they thaw out they wake up and go looking for food. This little guy must have thawed out for some reason

And he wasn't the only one. As I mentioned, this is the second one in a week.

I guess spring might be coming really early this year. Hope so.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

I agree with the posters that says it is a bug, i.e. an insect belonging to order Hemiptera. This little creature belongs to family Coreidea, Leaf-footed bug,

This is a cricket (yes, I know, not a "snow cricket", but in this case, a dune Cricket. Crickets belong to order Orthoptera

You should be able to see the difference between a hemipteran and an orthoptera from these 2 pics

Sorry for the large pictures, but I just cannot get it into my heart to make them smaller than this, esp. the cricket. You don't quite get the emotional feeling when you look at them in a small picture

edit on 5/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: rescaled the pics for a slightly less shock if you don't like insects

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I don't know about emotional but I sure got a few shivers from those images...

Thanks for the pics.

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Sorry, I just now saw your signature about phobias. If I knew you had a phobia about creepy crawly's I would have placed smaller images, but somehow I always think that everybody loves creepy crawly's just as much as I do

new topics

top topics

join