It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU, USA and GMO from Peru.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Europeans have more respect from their government than us. EU legislations require from Peru (and who knows what other countries), to label all GMO products exported to Europe. At the same time, similar regulations to export food products to USA not even mention the word "GMO", as I noticed.

According to the info presented, it looks like Monsanto has a "red carpet" from South America to USA. This guys always find a backdoor, recently I made a thread about a moratory legislation for GMO products ordered by peruvian government, seems like the battle continues.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These are the EU regulations :

Translation :

Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 on genetically modified food and feed regulates the marketing of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and foods containing them, intended for human or animal. These foods should be labeled as GMO for the consumer to make an informed decision regarding the consumption of these products. The label must clearly indicate the words' genetically modified 'or' produced from [name of organism] genetically modified. "In addition, food must comply with Regulation (EC) No. 1830/2003 concerning traceability and labeling of GMOs and food and feed products produced from these. In addition, Regulation (EC) No 65/2004 establishing a system for creating and assigning unique identifiers for GMOs, that is, are identified by a specific code that can be likened to a barcode and is called "unique identifier "Food transgénicosMayor 0602 at: 42464748444345 europa.eu...

www.siicex.gob.pe...

Now, these are the USA regulations :

Translation :

general labeling

The general labeling information must be submitted in English units of measurement using the English system (pounds, ounces). It should further be noted: Declaration of identity, common or usual name of the food (type of product) Product Brand or logo; accurate statement of net contents (weight, volume) Name and place of business of manufacturer, packer or distributor, exporter ; Country of origin If made ​​from two or more ingredients, you must provide a list of ingredients, listed by their common or usual name in descending order and the amount present in the product. • • • • • • in U.S. the government requires food labels on packaged foods, in order that these provide information as complete as possible, useful, accurate and clearly visible, legible and understandable to the consumidor.La entity responsible for regulating the labeling of packaged foods is the FDA, with two exceptions: 0408Marcado alimentos0409 and labeling.

www.siicex.gob.pe...

I just read an article from the peruvian newspaper La Republica, about sinilar regulations stablished by China, unfortunatelly they charge you to read that info., according to the source.

www.larepublica.pe...
edit on 5-2-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
When I search "GMO" on SAC (China's Standardization Administration website), I got zero results.

www.sac.gov.cn...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Contact Monsanto and tell them what you think about their company. I believe there's a very good reason these modified crops are widely unpopular.

new topics

join