It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best form of interstellar communication?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yes, it really is quite fascinating!

Again, the major hurdle here is transporting one of each of the entangled pairs millions of light years away. It might make the potential theory of using entanglement as a binary code impossible if the means to travel such distances are not first tackled. And if they are tackled and fast interstellar travel becomes possible, THAT in turn could make entanglement communication obsolete!

I hope we as people survive, we have such a fascinating future ahead of us if we smarten up.

You just brought up another important reason for a species to colonize neighboring stars - survival. Probably terraforming Mars is much easier than sending a spacecraft to another star, but who knows. Settling a younger star is ultimately better for survival.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
Quantum entanglement will solve this problem,

two electrons linked and then seperated great distances, spin left = 0 spin right = 1,
if we can send 1's and 0's over great distances faster than the speed of light.. well you have your phone to E.T

^ Now this is a great idea and most likely a possibility if our generation knows how to make a Quantum Entanglement com system. Sending machine language from end-to-end to achieve an assembly code, Each unique combination of 1's and 0's in an instruction has a unique interpretation, including such operations as arithmetical operations, incrementing a counter, saving data to memory, testing if data has a certain value, and so on, but that would take lots of Atoms wiggling counter-clockwise and clockwise to attain a fast paced binary system.

OR!

Like some of the members suggested. Inter-dimensional Coms. Please do correct me if I'm wrong but like in the 3rd Dimension Einstein's law of relativity tells us that FTLs are not possible or anything surpassing the Speed of light, but in the other higher dimension each set of rule changes mostly the Einstein's law of relativity Speed of light barrier. Making FTL Coms. possible if we can bridge to the higher dimension.
edit on 2/6/2012 by Labdarex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Originally posted by cloudyday

reply to post by cloudyday

Your making my head spin you sure are not lacking in imagination

:

My therapist told me something similar but I don't think she was complementing me.

The main assumption is this: the only resource in an interstellar empire is an intelligent being that can generate a new idea for the imperial culture. Travel between stars will be too expensive for anything like trading products or normal warfare. So trade will be laser beams sending ideas between stars at the speed of light.
edit on 6-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

I love imagination - I use it a lot in my art - Yes trading ideas across space with other beings would be marvelous.
I have not got the foggiest idea of how to achieve such a thing but that does not mean it is not possible it just shows my own limitations..

Do you ever put your artwork on the member art forum? I've been thinking of do some art lately. I used to take classes about 20 years ago to force myself to practice. I've never been very good compared to real artists, but I know I could be better if I could master the basic techniques. Art classes available to me at community colleges always emphasize creativity, but I think they should emphasize the techniques instead. It's like trying to be a writer with a limited vocabulary.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Your making my head spin you sure are not lacking in imagination

:

My therapist told me something similar but I don't think she was complementing me.

The main assumption is this: the only resource in an interstellar empire is an intelligent being that can generate a new idea for the imperial culture. Travel between stars will be too expensive for anything like trading products or normal warfare. So trade will be laser beams sending ideas between stars at the speed of light.
edit on 6-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

I love imagination - I use it a lot in my art - Yes trading ideas across space with other beings would be marvelous.
I have not got the foggiest idea of how to achieve such a thing but that does not mean it is not possible it just shows my own limitations..

Do you ever put your artwork on the member art forum? I've been thinking of do some art lately. I used to take classes about 20 years ago to force myself to practice. I've never been very good compared to real artists, but I know I could be better if I could master the basic techniques. Art classes available to me at community colleges always emphasize creativity, but I think they should emphasize the techniques instead. It's like trying to be a writer with a limited vocabulary.

No I do not put my paintings into forums here for two reasons - 1. Is I have not mastered or do not know how to do that - reason 2 is I like to remain annonymous to a certain extent as I am a bit paranoid about being tracked
But Hey - heres my website link below - I do occasional post a poem or odd verse -
You should not be put of art if you enjoy it and it can great therapy - it is for me - Find a course that does the basics as they are most important - such as life drawing etc - The more you do the more you learn - I agree they should empasize technique more then once you have that you can create anything you want - Art is such a liberating thing - Go for it
www.michaeljohngriffiths.com.../959
edit on 6-2-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

A TELEPHONE

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I really like the woodland painting. That is just the type of thing I would paint if I had the skill. Sometimes I stand in nature and I wish I could freeze time and paint every little blade of grass. The photographs are great too. My art is crap by comparison, but as I get older I don't care. I'm just curious if I can make something decent with practice.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I really like the woodland painting. That is just the type of thing I would paint if I had the skill. Sometimes I stand in nature and I wish I could freeze time and paint every little blade of grass. The photographs are great too. My art is crap by comparison, but as I get older I don't care. I'm just curious if I can make something decent with practice.

Yes paint the things you love - you can always take photos and do sketchings and finish or work from home.
Practice yes - Observation is everything - subtle tones shades or deep contrasts etc - sorry i am going way off topic here - But images are great form of communication - I wonder if other beings create art - like you mentioned before the idea of sharing art as well as science is a must if we want to give a true picture of Humanity to other beings in other star systems - see I brought it back on topic

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Yes paint the things you love - you can always take photos and do sketchings and finish or work from home.
Practice yes - Observation is everything - subtle tones shades or deep contrasts etc - sorry i am going way off topic here - But images are great form of communication - I wonder if other beings create art - like you mentioned before the idea of sharing art as well as science is a must if we want to give a true picture of Humanity to other beings in other star systems - see I brought it back on topic

Definitely there will be paintings, photographs, music (as sound files), sculptures (3D scans), architectural designs, movies, jokes, poems, recipes, DNA (to exchange life forms), ... Hundreds of billions of people all packaging their creations onto laser beams to share with hundreds of billions more people on another star.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The virtual particles of gravitons appear to be limitless in range, while photons will dissipate, and hit things and be obstructed

Think of it like this. It takes a huge star just to see that little twinkle, and nothing else is visible, but we can fully see gravity and its affects across the entire structure of the universe.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Gorman91 because: Le Spelling

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Subspace comm of course duh.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

Your school science department needs a good hard kick in the butt
or did you just not listen, the person that gave you a star needs to go back to school as well.

Do people make things up on here because it sounds good.

Plenty of ways to find out about the Electromagnetic Spectrum on the net look it up.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Something else to throw into the pot - Who says the two worlds would remain on friendly terms? You've seen what it's like now - We can't even survive without killing eachother, invading other countries etc. It would give us all the current problems in double. Scientists competing against eachother for then newest, most up to date weapons etc.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeordieLegend
Something else to throw into the pot - Who says the two worlds would remain on friendly terms? You've seen what it's like now - We can't even survive without killing eachother, invading other countries etc. It would give us all the current problems in double. Scientists competing against eachother for then newest, most up to date weapons etc.

There is a fundamental difference: the cost of travel between stars using foreseeable technology is extremely high. The project Daedalus interstellar spacecraft study projected the cost at $100 TRILLION - that was for an unmanned spacecraft travelling 5 light years in 50 years. Project Daedalus didn't even include fuel to slow down at the destination - it was a quick flyby.

So what motivation is there for hostility between stars? The only motivation I can imagine is if habitable planets are very rare and a civilization is not creating enough good ideas to share with their neighbouring stars. In that case there would be a motivation to do something about that stagnant civilization. But why would a civilization want to be stagnant? Would a civilization actually resist a neighbouring civilization that wants to enhance its creativity? So there isn't any motivation for hostility between stars. There is no realistic competition between stars; ideas are the only commodity and they cost nothing to share and ideas benefit everybody.

BTW: This provides a plausible motivation for the ancient alien story. The most practical way to bring Earth into the interstellar exchange of creativity would be to genetically accelerate and direct the evolution of humans to think more like aliens.
edit on 7-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

The virtual particles of gravitons appear to be limitless in range, while photons will dissipate, and hit things and be obstructed

Think of it like this. It takes a huge star just to see that little twinkle, and nothing else is visible, but we can fully see gravity and its affects across the entire structure of the universe.

Hmmmm. I wish I could say I understand, but I don't. It doesn't matter though. There is a lot I don't understand unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Yes if you look at a galaxy - You have a centre which is the powerhouse and first source of the stars the galaxy contains generally speaking. Sort of like the father or mother who have offspring through supernove who in turn have offspring
Each star is a minature model of that to varying degrees.
A galaxy grows from it's centre generally speaking - Galaxies also inter act with other galaxies and all is connected.
edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typos

edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Yes if you look at a galaxy - You have a centre which is the powerhouse and first source of the stars the galaxy contains generally speaking. Sort of like the father or mother who have offspring through supernove who in turn have offspring
Each star is a minature model of that to varying degrees.
A galaxy grows from it's centre generally speaking - Galaxies also inter act with other galaxies and all is connected.
edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typos

edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

That reminds me of fractals where as you zoom in or out you keep seeing the same pattern at different scales (at least that is my understanding of fractals). Of course the physics of the large scale seems to be different from the physics of the small scale which ought to create different patterns as we change scale.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

This may help.

also, MUSIC!

The universe is a fantastic machine.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yep. Different scales and types of forces at work. Hence why the megascale ones are ideal for communication. Longer Range!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hmm, Jordi LaForge hat on...

Open microscopic sized wormholes between the two locations (sender-receiver) and transmit the data via laser/optical transmissions.

Feasible? Plausible? No idea. After watching ST:TNG years ago, and the speed and ease with which Jordi could do, well, practically anything for Picard, I thought of that idea.

No idea how to actually "create" a wormhole nor how to direct its end points. But if you could - it would need only be open for a fraction of a second to transmit the data.

As Jordi would say, "It should take at least 2 hours"..

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
Hmm, Jordi LaForge hat on...

Open microscopic sized wormholes between the two locations (sender-receiver) and transmit the data via laser/optical transmissions.

Feasible? Plausible? No idea. After watching ST:TNG years ago, and the speed and ease with which Jordi could do, well, practically anything for Picard, I thought of that idea.

No idea how to actually "create" a wormhole nor how to direct its end points. But if you could - it would need only be open for a fraction of a second to transmit the data.

As Jordi would say, "It should take at least 2 hours"..

nineix beat you to it and has even reserved the acronym: WHIP (Worm Hole Internet Protocol)

I think it needs a friendlier sounding acronym such as WISH. When you wish upon a star... I don't know how to make that acronym fit though.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join