It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best form of interstellar communication?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

I know it does not sound scientific but I think you are on the right track.
The body limits us when viewed in a soul or spirit or other dimension.
Though science has not yet proved the existence of the soul does not mean it is not real.

........Waits for the flack

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Originally posted by cloudyday

The means of communication are secondary to the information they/it transmits.
Technological advancement is not the measure of what a Human being is - The intention for it's use is a more fundamental question.

The technology of communication would affect the nature of communication. Are we talking about telegrams that cost a billion dollars per character and take 10 years to arrive? Or are we talking about free FTL internet links for everybody?
edit on 5-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

Yes for sure the technology of communication affects the nature of communication on a superficial level.
For example if we could communicate with other star systems what would be our reasons for doing so.
What is it we we would wish to comminicate - and why? sorta off at a tangent I know.

Any important scientific discovery would be worth communicating to your fellow humans living in another star system. If there is more bandwidth available we might share cultural information like poetry and music and news.

At some point in the future human population will be constrained by resources. At that point, we might decide to colonize other stars so the population can continue to increase. A larger population provides more ideas which accelerates improvements in the quality of life everywhere.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

What is the best form of interstellar communication?

In the long term, I think we will have to accept the distances between stars and their planets as being what they are... but also, along the way, discover that certain concepts related to quantum physics are capable of bridging them to one degree or the next. It may someday be as instantaneous as sub-space in Star Trek or maybe a little delayed.

It will take time to be able to step-stone over that same time.

But eventually, we will overcome this like we did sending messages across the oceans and continents. The only thing we had to do was to discover and then, invent... which is something humans do rather well.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

Yes it is a speculative idea - Would that we could zoom several thousand years into the future who knows how things may be - But we are a long way from such an idea being realised sometime soon but what do you I know

edit on 5-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Yes it is a speculative idea - Would that we could zoom several thousand years into the future who knows how things may be - But we are a long way from such an idea being realised sometime soon but what do you I know

Another possible motivation for colonization of a nearby star would be scientific curiosity. At first we might send robotic probes to neighboring stars. But if we find a suitable planet it might actually make sense to start a colony so our creative human minds will be on-site to direct the scientific research without the 20 year communications time lag. (This assumes that machine intelligence remains inferior to human intelligence in some ways.) Naturally if we have a colony performing scientific research it will gradually grow into billions of people. So we have the same outcome motivated by scientific curiosity instead of overpopulation.

Also, this doesn't depend on faster than light travel or communications. We would start the colony by sending some robots and some frozen human embryos. It might take 1000 years to travel 20 light years, but by this time in the future we will be so curious about space exploration that it will seem like a good investment.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

Another possible motivation for colonization of a nearby star would be scientific curiosity. At first we might send robotic probes to neighboring stars. But if we find a suitable planet it might actually make sense to start a colony so our creative human minds will be on-site to direct the scientific research without the 20 year communications time lag. (This assumes that machine intelligence remains inferior to human intelligence in some ways.) Naturally if we have a colony performing scientific research it will gradually grow into billions of people. So we have the same outcome motivated by scientific curiosity instead of overpopulation.

Yes Human curiosity is a great thing - If we can do things in the spirit of goodness who knows what we might achieve.
My only concern would be ifwe found another habitable planet is there could also be life there that we must respect - When I view the world today I am filled with reservations - But maybe we grow and mature if such space travel were possible it also possible to solve our problems on Earth - maybe I am a dreamer

edit on 5-2-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
if there is anyway to efficiently communicate with a such a distance inbetween the two points we don't know about it yet. light only travels so fast. and it the vastness of space, it takes some time. years to the nearest star

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
if there is anyway to efficiently communicate with a such a distance inbetween the two points we don't know about it yet. light only travels so fast. and it the vastness of space, it takes some time. years to the nearest star

Yes to travel or send a message to Alpha Centauri which is approx 4.5 light years away - travelling at light speed would take 4.5 years I believe. I heard on another thread about folding space time and bringing two points together - Maybe this is wormhole type technology - I am not sure.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Yes to travel or send a message to Alpha Centauri which is approx 4.5 light years away - travelling at light speed would take 4.5 years I believe. I heard on another thread about folding space time and bringing two points together - Maybe this is wormhole type technology - I am not sure.

But 4.5 years or even 20 years lag time on communications is not too bad. Receiving a new scientific discovery from the colony that is 20 years old is still great if Earth hasn't made that discovery yet. And some things might be impossible to discover Earth. For example there might be a plant or animal on the colony planet that could inspire a new drug treatment for an Earth disease.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Yes I believe unmanned probes are the way to initially go
To discover more and increase our understanding - we live in exciting times

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
On a more practical level, I'm convinced that any human-like civilization will eventually colonize neighboring stars and communication will be essential. That means there must be alien civilizations communicating with their colonies. Probably they are trying to focus and encrypt their communications so no undiscovered hostile civilization can detect their existence. That has implications for SETI. I don't think any advanced civilization is likely to use radio that we can detect on Earth and recognize as intelligent communications; that would be too risky.

Also, if an alien civilization wants to explore our solar system in detail, it might make sense for them to establish a small colony here - most likely right here on Earth. That way their scientists can make decisions in real time without the 20 year time lag of directing their robots remotely.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
i heard some physicist talking about making tiny robots (like nano size) and putting a charge on them and they'll be able to get up to like 80% lightspeed when put into Jupiter magnetic field. and then turn charge off and they go shooting out into space

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

i heard some physicist talking about making tiny robots (like nano size) and putting a charge on them and they'll be able to get up to like 80% lightspeed when put into Jupiter magnetic field. and then turn charge off and they go shooting out into space

Is that using Jupiter as a particle accelerator? We can accelerate particles and smash them together in particle accelerators, so maybe we can accelerate microscopic space craft to high speeds using the same methods.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I was wondering something about mars they say the images are filtered with a red lens and the sky is blue is that true.and not to go to far off topic what does the rover use for cumunacation.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It will be something on the quantum level through the fabric of space at warp speeds.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucasliopliopliop
reply to post by Aliensun

I was wondering something about mars they say the images are filtered with a red lens and the sky is blue is that true.and not to go to far off topic what does the rover use for cumunacation.

Here is a quote from wikipedia:

The rover has a low-gain and a high-gain antenna. The low-gain antenna is omnidirectional, and transmits data at a low rate to Deep Space Network (DSN) antennas on Earth. The high-gain antenna is directional and steerable, and can transmit data to Earth at a higher rate. The rovers also use the low-gain antennas and its Electra software-defined radio to communicate with spacecraft orbiting Mars, the Mars Odyssey and (before its failure) the Mars Global Surveyor (using its Mars Relay antenna and Mars Orbiter Camera's memory buffer to transfer more than 7.6 terabits of data).[38] The orbiters relay data from and to Earth; most data to Earth is relayed through Odyssey. The orbiters are closer to the rovers than the antennas on Earth, and have a view of Earth for much longer than the rovers. The orbiters communicate with the rovers using UHF antennas, which have shorter range than the low and high-gain antennas. One UHF antenna is on the rover, and one is on a petal of the lander to aid in gaining information during the critical landing event.

Each rover has a total of 9 cameras, which produce 1024-pixel by 1024-pixel images at 12 bits per pixel,[39] but most navigation camera images and image thumbnails are truncated to 8 bits per pixel to conserve memory and transmission time. All images are then compressed using ICER before being stored and sent to Earth. Navigation, thumbnail, and many other image types are compressed to approximately 0.8 to 1.1 bits/pixel. Lower bit rates (less than 0.5 bit/pixel) are used for certain wavelengths of multi-color panoramic images.

ICER is based on wavelets, and was designed specifically for deep-space applications. It produces progressive compression, both lossless and lossy, and incorporates an error-containment scheme to limit the effects of data loss on the deep-space channel. It outperforms the lossy JPEG image compressor and the lossless Rice compressor used by the Mars Pathfinder mission.

Mars Exploration Rover

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

what about if you can actually breath on mars cause if you could you could cummunacatee easier write or maybe no i dont know just wanted to know i heard nasa admitted to the fact the sky was blue

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
subspace communicator. scotty can whip one up in an hour.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Colonizing another planet would probably be the best way to get new materials here on Earth to start repairing hundreds of generations of environmental mismanagement. We would not be able to lift ourselves up without tugging on our bootstraps; giving high-tech materials to the colony in return for the colonies larger amount of easily accessed raw materials would help Earth send the Colony more high-tech materials and stave off ecological and economic collapse.

Dune had a reason for Spice, but Earth doesn't need spice, we need raw materials to make Earth work as it used to once we start to leave it; leave it as we found it, so to speak.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
You never really know these days. They've talked about supposedly finding tachyons, which theoretically could make interstellar communication considerably quicker than the light year based distance. But that would depend on how fast a tachyon really travels, and if you can feasibly use them in a controlled set up like a laser.

Interesting question!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join