It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best form of interstellar communication?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Blink once for 'yes', twice for 'no'?

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

Yes that is an extremely silly suggestion
Any fool knows shouting very loudly and waving a handerchief would be more effective

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Once we can create a "bubble" in the fabric of space we will be able to establish instantaneous communications anywhere regardless of distance. EM fields can't disrupt it so its extremely reliable.Accessing the signal will require a similar "bubble" on the receiver end. That is why it is called subspace communications. Unfortunately this tech is not available to the public.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just had a lightbulb...epithan...whatever...

yesterday on the radio show we were talking about DARPA using AI and telepathic technology, soo, use that O_o seams like a no brainer.

why would interconnectedness be constricted by the speed of light?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
High powered optical lasers would offer high bandwidth.
www.coseti.org...

What would it take for say 100 Mbit/sec? Could a laser send this information in a focused beam that would not spread beyond the receiver so it would not attract unwanted attention from hostile alien civilizations?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

A torsion field (also called axion field, spin field, spinor field, and microlepton field) is a pseudoscientific[1] theory of energy in which the quantum spin of particles can be used to cause emanations lacking mass and energy to carry information through a vacuum at one billion times the speed of light.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
We fail to communicate properly with each other on Earth.
Why have yet more arguements across inter stellar space
We would get Space Trolls also

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rom12345

youtube comment.

Orgone has been called Countless names throughout the ages. Qi, Chi, Ki, Prana, Aether, Atua, Mana, Pneuma, Vis Medicatrix naturae, Archaeus/Mumia, Gana, Astral Light, Vital fluid, Universal fluid, Odic force, X force, Life beams/ spiritus, biomagnetism, eloptic energy, Reiki, L fields, T fields, DC fields, Telergy, Paraelectricity, The force, ectoplasm, Psychotronic energy, Zoopheretic light, Non hertzian fields, Universal Love energy, The Cosmic force, Negative Vacuum Energy, Dirac Sea, etc

is my response to wikipedia quote.
edit on 5/2/2012 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
actually not lasers, but quantum intanglement

yep.. no way to easedrop by us, but still... for the aliens using it, would be the fastest way to communicate

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345

Originally posted by Pokoia
I would suggest quantum entanglement.
Instant communication, you cant beat that.

Yea, I would have to agree here.

Also, In the real of pseudoscience, torsion waves have been proposed to enable FTL communication of vast distance.

I don't understand enough about quantum mechanics or torsion waves to say much on that.

But in general I think the key to interstellar communication is sufficient data rate and security. A 10 year latency is not a big deal. The American colonies had to wait months for mail from Europe.

For security the initial colony kit should include a huge sequence of encryption keys matching a similar sequence kept on Earth. This would be like a one time pad so that no aliens who might happen to intercept the signal could decrypt it (hopefully).

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Quantum intanglement would provide for 0 ping... Heck i get 70ms ping in warcraft so I could use some intanglement help here on earth lol

You could communicate between galaxies with 0ping, instant data stream. speed? mmm.. well, how fast can an quantum bit flux suppose thats the max on rate. I'm sure it would be fast though

should work interdimensionally as well

bet thats what the tardis uses... yeah.. bet it is..

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Of course there is always the spice

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

Sorry to be the one to tell you this but .....
.....The Tardis is not real

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
not real yet

eventually we will come to the conclusion that speed isn't whats needed to travel the universe.. it's impratical, needs too much energy..

what is needed is interdimensional travel, drop thru into another dimension pop back into this one halfway across the universe.

any form of light communications wouldnt be able to keep up with that, but quantum intanglement could

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
not real yet

eventually we will come to the conclusion that speed isn't whats needed to travel the universe.. it's impratical, needs too much energy..

what is needed is interdimensional travel, drop thru into another dimension pop back into this one halfway across the universe.

any form of light communications wouldnt be able to keep up with that, but quantum intanglement could

Yes perhaps that is all possible.
What if we naturally are inter dimensional beings ie when we die.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
As far a quantum entanglement is concerned. I believe you would need to transport the entangle material to the receiver point first, using 'traditional' means. So a 'QE' network would still take a huge amount of time to establish. And would only work at designated communication points.
One ways to disseminate information on a galactic scale, is by considering messages that exceed the life span of a species or evan a solar system.
By creating a molecule that encodes data in a way that can extrapolate vast amounts of information, say for instance like DNA, and then use a Shot Gun approach, hoping it lands at some receptive point to decode the info. This of course may take a very long time, but who's counting in the big scheme of things ?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
and it has begun !

www.newscientist.com...

a diamond in every cellphone, car, plane, space ship... the begining of a quantum network is here

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
and it has begun !

www.newscientist.com...

a diamond in every cellphone, car, plane, space ship... the begining of a quantum network is here

Yes!

I worship his divine shadow.

(just realizing your username. Me needs have a Lexx marathon now.)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think hisshadow is the real Dr Who whom the TV series is based on
C'mon Doc tell us your secret
edit on 5-2-2012 by artistpoet because: TYPO - THE DALEKS DID IT

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I have another suggestion Gravity. I hope I do not get in trouble with star trek for mentioning their IMPulse. The Internally Metered pulse smashes matter into pure energy. Then slams that energy back into matter again. This is repeated millions of time every second. (ST uses the resulting gravity on an off to create power and motion) Now if you could modify the timing of the pulses with the intelligence that you want to transmit you would have a perfect transmitter. In one of the books by Stephen Hawkings he states that gravity is the one force that is felt everywhere in the universe instantaneously. This would mean that the delay problem would not be an issue.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by remembering
I have another suggestion Gravity. I hope I do not get in trouble with star trek for mentioning their IMPulse. The Internally Metered pulse smashes matter into pure energy. Then slams that energy back into matter again. This is repeated millions of time every second. (ST uses the resulting gravity on an off to create power and motion) Now if you could modify the timing of the pulses with the intelligence that you want to transmit you would have a perfect transmitter. In one of the books by Stephen Hawkings he states that gravity is the one force that is felt everywhere in the universe instantaneously. This would mean that the delay problem would not be an issue.

One day Walmarts will stock these
Made in China of course

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join