It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best form of interstellar communication?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Imagine some point in the future where Earth (and maybe a terraformed Mars) has as many humans as it can support. We discover an earth-like planet in a nearby star system, so at great expense we send a probe there carrying the minimal kit to create a human colony. I imagine the kit might include frozen embryos and robots.

So now there are two human civilizations. Interstellar travel is still extremely expensive but these two civilizations would like to pool their brain power by sharing information. That information might include scientific papers, poetry, music, etc.

How could these two civilizations communicate with a high enough data rate to share their ideas? Also how could they prevent other potentially hostile alien civilizations from discovering them?
edit on 5-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
directed lasers if your talking officially accepted science, fastest thing we know (unless you count neutrino's =p)

scalar waves if your not.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
High powered optical lasers would offer high bandwidth.
www.coseti.org...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
thanks for killing the thread with your logic and intellect phage lol

nah your a champion

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

What kind of data rate could you get using lasers between stars? Would it be enough to make the two civilizations beintegrated intellectually into one whole? Or would it takes days to send one poem?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Imho the idea of interstellar communication is pretty stupid.
The nearest star is 4 light years away, that means that any form of communication will take AT LEAST 4 years to reach the star system.

Unless we figure out a way that's at least 100 times quicker but I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

Sorry to ruin your interstellar conversation fantasy.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I would suggest quantum entanglement.
Instant communication, you cant beat that.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Telepathy

mind talk is instantaneous.... the big problem would be vetting the Telepaths' on each distant world
to eliminate Telepaths that have an agenda and are saboteurs or anarchists and would feed false
information to the politicians or diplomats they answer to

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Except that entanglement doesn't really offer a means of communication. To use it you have to "read" the state of a particle and in the process change it's state. Of course, you somehow have to set the state of the transmitter particle as well.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ssupp
Imho the idea of interstellar communication is pretty stupid.
The nearest star is 4 light years away, that means that any form of communication will take AT LEAST 4 years to reach the star system.

Unless we figure out a way that's at least 100 times quicker but I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

Sorry to ruin your interstellar conversation fantasy.

A 10 year old poem or scientific paper is still very valuable isn't it? Even 10 year old news about politics on the sister world would still be interesting.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The biggest obstacle to interstellar communication is not technological, but, well, neurological. It would be necessary to understand each others' thought processes in order to create a shared language. First contact would be made using simple mathematical progressions. 1,2,3,5,7,11... is essentially the interstellar hailing signal, but where do you go from there? You would need to establish how you are going to transmit and receive your data, then figure out a mutual system for expressing abstract concepts, and a grammar that links them in a way that both species find logical. That will be the hard part.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
The biggest obstacle to interstellar communication is not technological, but, well, neurological. It would be necessary to understand each others' thought processes in order to create a shared language. First contact would be made using simple mathematical progressions. 1,2,3,5,7,11... is essentially the interstellar hailing signal, but where do you go from there? You would need to establish how you are going to transmit and receive your data, then figure out a mutual system for expressing abstract concepts, and a grammar that links them in a way that both species find logical. That will be the hard part.

But let's say this is Earth talking to an Earth colony about 10 light years away. We need a way to share our ideas so that we are one human civilization.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

use binary, remember the "reply" crop circle?

I think telepathy is the best answer so far but good luck convincing phage =) I have a sort of analogy for it though, imagine you have a rod the size you need to reach the other planet, tap the rod on one end, the other end moves right then and there, instant coms. of course there are problems with this when you apply physics, especially if your rod is conductive >_>

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Blink once for 'yes', twice for 'no'?

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

I'm on board with the high powered optical lasers. These would be orbital lasers so there's no atmospheric pesky worries.

If microscopic sized wormholes could be created reliably and kept 'alive' long enough with predictable end points, squirting data though would be quite top.
That's all spooky science fiction at this point though.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
reply to post by DJW001

use binary, remember the "reply" crop circle?

I think telepathy is the best answer so far but good luck convincing phage =) I have a sort of analogy for it though, imagine you have a rod the size you need to reach the other planet, tap the rod on one end, the other end moves right then and there, instant coms. of course there are problems with this when you apply physics, especially if your rod is conductive >_>

Of course if telepathy exists it might be limited by the speed of light. We should probably assume that it is limited because everything else seems to be.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Maybe you could use morse code by flashing it like a flashlight.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pokoia
I would suggest quantum entanglement.
Instant communication, you cant beat that.

Yea, I would have to agree here.

Also, In the real of pseudoscience, torsion waves have been proposed to enable FTL communication of vast distance.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The Ansible?

And - Geek Off.

Finding how quanta entwine. Locate or create and use.

Instantaneous interstellar communication. Though it needn't be interstellar. You could prove this out on planet.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Blink once for 'yes', twice for 'no'?

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

I'm on board with the high powered optical lasers. These would be orbital lasers so there's no atmospheric pesky worries.

If microscopic sized wormholes could be created reliably and kept 'alive' long enough with predictable end points, squirting data though would be quite top.
That's all spooky science fiction at this point though.

If the wormholes would work with minimal latency and high bandwidth then they could put everyone on the internet - IP over wormhole.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
About a year ago a fellow claiming to be a computer engineer/programer working for NASA/JPL, etc. started a thread here on ATS claiming that he and a co-worker had discovered that our Mars Rover was sending back data via a means of instantaneous radio=quantum physics. He went on to start a web page that lasted for about two weeks. As far as I know, we've not heard from him since. Supposedly, he was in fear of his job if not life. I don't recall seeing it labled as a hoax nor does the thread label below state such.

It made for a good story on ATS.

Why I Left NASA: A Curiosity of Spirit, page 21

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join