It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Expert: India Leads World in HIV Cases (Update)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
While most of the AIDS attention has been focused onto the crisis in Africa, the head of a major International AIDS fund has indicated that a major crisis may be in India. Dismissing the official statistics, Richard G.A. Feachem, the head of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, has said that India is already in first place. The danger he indicates is that a large amount of the population has not been surveyed and may not even be aware of thier status. India has made recent strides in dealing with the crisis, but he indicates that more is needed to get things under controll.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW DELHI - India has the world's largest number of HIV (news - web sites)-infected people, the head of a top international AIDS (news - web sites)-fighting fund said Wednesday, dismissing official figures.

"I don't believe in the official statistics. India is already in first place," said Richard G.A. Feachem, executive director of the Geneva-based Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

Latest U.N. data show the HIV virus (news - web sites) has infected 5.6 million people in South Africa and 5.1 million in India. But Feachem said he and many other experts believe India's actual figure is much higher, surpassing South Africa's.

The official estimate leaves out many people in this vast country of 1.03 billion who could be carrying the virus without knowing or reporting it, he said.

"I won't put a figure on it. I will simply say it is considerably more than 5.1 million," he said. "I am happy to be wrong. But I think I will proved right, soon."

Feachem called the Indian epidemic "on an African trajectory ... and incidence of HIV/AIDS is rising rapidly."

Indian government officials were not immediately available for comment. New Delhi has rejected such fears in the past, saying its HIV/AIDS prevention program is making good progress and the number of new cases has stabilized.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this finding is correct, it has staggering implications for the global fight aginst AIDS. The article points out in the past, the Indian government has has rejected claims like this and indicated that thier efforts has resulted in a leveling out in the number of cases. There are some encouraging signs from New Delhi however. The federal health minister has indicated a willingness to commision an independent group (including foreign organizations) to better research the numbers of HIV infected people. It has also stepped up efforts in HIV prevention and has accepted millions in International aid to help combat the problem. Feachem has indicated that these measure will fall way short. To that end his group is committed to donating more than 265 million to the fight. With its large population, India will need alot of help to begin to make a dent in the crisis.

Related News Links:

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Bill Gates Gives $45,000,000 for TB/AIDS Research

Is China and India the "Next" Africa for AIDS?

[edit on 15-9-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 20-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Of course they reject it, what did you expect? Same thing with Russia.

I am not too worried, because India's youth is becoming much more lot educated than the current generation than the current generation will ever be, so I don't think there will be a major increase in the number.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Of course they reject it, what did you expect? Same thing with Russia.

I am not too worried, because India's youth is becoming much more lot educated than the current generation than the current generation will ever be, so I don't think there will be a major increase in the number.

If you read the article, the fear is that a major percentage of the population does not even know that it may be infected. The education may very well be thriving in the cities, but does it extend out to the countryside?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
If you read the article, the fear is that a major percentage of the population does not even know that it may be infected. The education may very well be thriving in the cities, but does it extend out to the countryside?

The country side is almost in its last days. I see couple of adds in T.V. nowdays warning of AIDS, one become real popular, so probably that would intiated some planning and alertness among public. Well I don't know about the entire city, but where I lived the quality education is slowly reaching those places too, but will be at least 20 years before they get it fully.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
In a follow up to the main story, India has indicated that it will hire private consultants in an effort to get an accurate account on the number of people with AIDS it has.

MADRAS, India, (AFP) - India will seek the help of private consultants to determine how many of its billion-plus population are HIV (news - web sites)-positive after allegations its official estimate of 5.1 million is too low.
Indian AIDS Crisis

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
WOW I had no idea the situation was that bad in India.

I mean I knew about the epidemic in Africa but India?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I hate to critize my own country, but it is plagued by corruption, and plagued is a understatement. I doubt that even 1% of that money will be put to good use, especially in that state gov't. I used to live there, and I tell you it is worser than you can imagine, I mean the politics.

I am not positive, but the person who has released the comment, "Anbumani Ramados," is one of the biggest culprits living the that state, Tamil Nadu. I am not sure if it is the same guy, I hope he isn't. If he is, then there goes the money down the drain.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
WOW I had no idea the situation was that bad in India.

I mean I knew about the epidemic in Africa but India?

Yea, the inital article was pretty scary. If the numbers quoted are even half true, its going to get very bad unless something is done soon. China is int he smae boat. But what makes the India situation even more scary is that if the article is correct, a lot of people may not even know that they are carrying HIV.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
But what makes the India situation even more scary is that if the article is correct, a lot of people may not even know that they are carrying HIV.

Yeah and this people may be spreading it around not knowing they're infected.

new topics

top topics

join