It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it cruel to feed live prey to your pet predator?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If the point of feeding these animals was to just feed them, why would it be recorded? Because someone wants to draw attention to it.

It's essentially an animal snuff film.

Are they being fed their normal prey food? Does the prey have to be alive, could it instead be moved around to simulate being alive?

The prey could be killed in a humane way and feed to the predator...

So to answer the question, it's for attention, and yes it's cruelty, because there are proper ways to feed an animal, and if you record it and aren't even using the correct prey food, and it's not dead, you're clearly a sociopath.

edit on 5-2-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Well, it's a sense of responsibility that keeps preservation efforts going.
We miss the homing pigeon, the dodo, the tasmanian tiger, and feel a collective guilt for the close calls with the American Grizzly, Buffalo, Whales, some species of rather majestic wolf, The Barbary Lion (extinct in the wild), and many others.

In some cases the causality was simple sport.
In other cases the causality was industry 'mining' or exploiting a resource.

From a standpoint of responsibility, though we are an animal, we are a thinking animal, and due to our viral like saturation and parasitic leeching of our environments, if we don't enact causes toward preservation of our fellow species and their habitats, we may very well be hunting our own selves into extinction, leaving behind a rather barren and sad world to recover.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I am just going to say my peace then exit stage left. I will use a snake as an example. Snakes are not pets. Nor should they ever be. With that said you have to take the responsibility to feed them as if they were in the wild. Meaning live mice. If you have an exotic pet feed them as if they were in there natural habitat. It sucks. It's just the way it is.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Because Piranhas aren't required living animals to stay alive. Therefore you do not have to feed them a live mouse. No one "normal" would do that because non-sadistic people feel empathy for the mouse. The mouse is in pain because YOU put it there. A wild lion chase isn't even comparable, as you had nothing to do with the gazelle.

The mouse also has 0 chance to escape like it would have in the wild. PLUS, you are putting the piranha in unneeded chance for injury. The mouse could scratch its eye out etc. Anyone that cared about their fish wouldn't do that.
edit on 2/5/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/5/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
... and then, there's Japanese bug fights.
Tarantula vs Centipede, Hornet vs Scorpion, and many more.

Japanese Bug Fight!

Animals is animals, but, bugs is bugs?

This is an entirely different level.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

well, at least the turtle did it right. to me, it seemed like it snapped the mouse's spine, a quick way to go. and i very much understand the people who feed their predators with other animals. you got to recreate the environment for your pet. i even understand those who upload it. it is an interesting watch. not by pleasure of course, but by observation. feeding piranhas with live prey is a little harsh for me though. they've known to bleed out their victims.
I get those who feel emotional watching the mice go, but it happens a hundred thousand times everywhere every day. unlucky for them, they are on the lower steps in the food chain. unlucky for you, you can't save all the mice.
i honestly do not think that people should be bashed for feeding animals with other animals.
Do you think it is cruel to even tape it? there are photographers in the wild. a lot of them, and they always tape, and observe, but do not interfere. it's their law. should they be bashed too? i didn't think either.
there are much worse and sickening cases of animal cruelty all over, and i think this is not one of them. dogfights? yes. cockfights? yes. dogs fighting with cocks? absolutely! they are against nature. but this isn't.
and do not let emotions guide you. you think mice are cute? just like me. but they are almost in any case: food to other animals.
I feed my turtle inanimate things. turtle food, and I have never even considered giving her living beings to eat. but if I had a snake(like the ones who eat mice) I would feed them with mice. Would I tape it? a few of them, yes. Would it turn me on? no. Would I upload it to youtube? If I felt I could make a contribution to the community. Would I feel regret for it? yes, and that's why I do not have pets like these.
mark my words gentlemen.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Bugs are animals. Fighting them for entertainment is weird and sadistic. If you can enjoy watching animals kill each other for fun you have some sort of empathy issue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join