It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE 1-US to require disclosure of fracking fluids on public land

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

UPDATE 1-US to require disclosure of fracking fluids on public land

www.reuters.com

The U.S. government will require natural gas drillers to disclose which chemicals they use in hydraulic fracturing on public lands, according to draft rules crafted by the Interior Department.

President Barack Obama pledged in the State of the Union address last week that the government would develop a road map for responsible natural gas production and roll out new rules to ensure drillers protect the environment.

Companies would be required to disclose the "complete chemical makeup of all materials used" in fracking fluids under the Interior Department's draft rules, a copy of which
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bombshell Report Links Water Contamination To Fracking For The First Time
Eastern Canada is Waking up to the Dangers of Fracking

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This sounds like election hype to me. These fracking frackers will never be held to any real transparency. We already know they're poisoning our water so they might as well have the decency to tell us which chemicals they're poisoning us with, right?

The article tries to spin the story as a good thing, but it's only going to cause more bureaucracy which will make it easier for these polluters to get away with these crimes.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
election hype? geez CE...you sure are skeptical of our good president...to think he would dress up unemployment numbers or make up fake rules and guidelines to make people happy before election time...you must be one of them there terrorizers! you should be reported!

but seriously...not sure why he would need to hype things up for re-election...by election time, the US will be a complete police state and the only elections held will be for which hole the people want to bend over and take it in that week...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

My guess is that once he's reelected he will drop these guidelines and give the go ahead for the Keystone Pipeline. It's almost too predictable.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
From the movie gashole.

www.youtube.com...

I live in Ohio, and they've just moved in a few months ago, and already we're having problems.

Can't wait until they let us write off bio-hazard suits on our 1040s

/sarcasm off

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Reporting in from Northern Panhandle of WV.

Natural gas drilling is a process alot of people are not used to in this area. Already, I see CONVOYS of drilling trucks rolling down our narrow country backroads daily. The community I think appreciates the workers coming in because it is boosting business in a depressed region. Alot of people signed their leases years ago for a few hundred per acre, my family was one of the late holdouts and we came out fairly nicely.

The problem is, the entire fracking process was rushed through here and only now are people starting to realise what they just signed on for. The fracking fluid debate is going to heat up, and needless to say, we had our water tested before signing the leases... If there is an accident and your water contaminated, then it can be devastating. We own three large ponds and there are some pristine streams filled with crawlfish and salamanders. I would hate to see these animals wiped out, let alone the water quality for drinking become devastated.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I hate fracking, the potential for harm
Water table poisoning, fault slip activation, and who knows what else. I am dumb about this but why can't they just use steam or plain hot water? Why do they need chemicals? Are the chemicals to desolve the oil or rock or both? Wouldn't just heat do as well? I hope Obamas remarks are not just hype for the election!
edit on 5-2-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderboy2402

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament...it's happening here in Canada too. As useless as the EPA and it's affiliates are, at least they acknowledge their "mistakes". Here in Canada, were told "Everything's fine, nothing to see here". Our organizations that are meant to protect us, are really there to protect their corporate overlords.

Canadians have been protesting this and it has made mainstream news, but the momentum seems to have died off a little. The whole world needs to wake up to what's been going on for decades. We all assumed it was safe because they told us so.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
What we need is an independent group to do it. Becasue if they do it themselves it'lll be made of natural chemicals that are actually go for the enviorment. Anyone tryin to go into business?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Do you think they'll take environmental concerns into consideration and stop the fracking? Like they have with crude exploration at unfathomable depths? No, just more fuel (pardon the pun) for the human greed chain.

Jog on sunshine, in the grand scheme of things this will make no difference in the long run.....

WE'RE ALL DOOMED!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by agentofchaos

That's a brilliant idea

My only concern is that in order to become part of the "in crowd" you must be approved by these "regulators". The rules are very strict and will not allow any patents or inventions that "defy the laws or principles of physics" which is why we don't have green energy, or clean techniques to find our fuels.

The whole system is rigged where us good guys aren't even allowed to do any good.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

............in response to those girls who got tourettes in school ( i heard there was a gas well near there??? )

who lalalaing knows....

psssssssshhhhhhh................ more election propaganda

we all know Obama is going to win again right?

and even if he doesn't the other puppet will.

what lalalaing ever. am i right?

top topics

join