It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US threatens Sweden with watch list sanctions if they don’t prosecute The Pirate Bay.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Cable revelas extent of lapdoggery from swedish Government on Copyright Monopoly

Among the treasure troves of recently released WikiLeaks cables, we find one whose significance has bypassed Swedish media. In short: every law proposal, every ordinance, and every governmental report hostile to the net, youth, and civil liberties here in Sweden in recent years have been commissioned by the US government and industry interests.

Read more at:

falkvinge.net...

So essentially the United States is saying if you do not listen to us, we will issue a trade sanction. That entails making the Swedish government become opposed to file sharing (which major US companies started in the first place), making Swedish ISPs liable and giving them the ability to regulate (interfere) net traffic - and to hurry up and take The Pirate Bay out of business.

Now I know some will just state the US is just looking after copyrighted material and stopping piracy, but in my opinion it goes much deeper then that. It is all about power, about being able to control the internet.

What say you?
edit on 5-2-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

[post content removed at the request of the copyright holder]

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

TextImperialism, as defined by Dictionary of Human Geography, is "the creation and/or maintenance of an unequal economic, cultural, and territorial relationship, usually between states and often in the form of an empire, based on domination and subordination." Imperialism, as described by that work is primarily a Western undertaking that employs "expansionist, merchantilist policies"

en.wikipedia.org...

Imperialism.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

what are watch list sanctions ?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

what are watch list sanctions ?

I agree with the previous poster who said Imperialism. However, the naked truth looks like this:

What watch lists does the State Department maintain?
A. The US State Department maintains multiple lists of sanctioned or restricted parties, including:
Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTO)
List of Statutorily Debarred Parties
List of Administratively Debarred Parties
Entity List for Sanctions for the Transfer of Lethal Military Equipment
Entity List for Missile Sanctions Laws
among others...

Among others...I love that!

It can cost a country or entity that is violating a sanction

fines for violations of other watch lists can be substantial. Depending on the program, criminal penalties can include fines ranging from $50,000 to $10,000,000 and imprisonment ranging from 10 to 30 years for willful violations. Depending on the program, civil penalties range from $11,000 to $1,000,000 for each violation.

And, further indication that 9/11 served multiple agendas, th

Government sanctions have existed for many years, but since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 the Federal government has dramatically increased its use of watch lists.

www.verifilter.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Right then, if we have to be part of this EU rubbish, it's time to come together as Europeans and defend Sweden and the Swedes from American aggression. America is a coward nation, too scared to go to war with real powers, let's see how they face up to a united Europe.

Starting with their little missile system, we should be evicting the US from our lands.
edit on 5-2-2012 by staticarium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Not real familiar with how this works but there are many companies that do this for a price.
How would we enforce these sanctions?

Create another government watchdog group to make sure they are doing their job? Or would American't be so arrogant as to monitor them secretly if they refuse?

I'm sure our next tactic will be to label them as another threat to our security and politically correct sense of well being.

~Glu

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Newest tactic in the US arsenal, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency will seize domain names in a civil suit. That is the sites themselves have to prove they were doing no wrong - innocent until proven guilty - hardly.

(and they can do this because they used U.S. domain suffixes .net, .com, and .org)

Originally posted by justwokeup

[post content removed at the request of the copyright holder]

Exactly my point. They do not want certain ideas getting out to the public. They do not want people to become informed.

edit on 5-2-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

Well then, what super powers should we be going after and why?
Just curious...

I certainly don't think we need a global presence even though it has it's benefits. We are just going about it all wrong. It's like your neighbor constantly yelling out the window, telling you that your lawn is not green enough and your making his property look bad.

I'm on your side, just don't think there's a good reason to go after anybody at the moment.

edit on 5-2-2012 by ElmersGluon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElmersGluon
reply to post by staticarium

Well then, what super powers should we be going after and why?
Just curious...

I certainly don't think we need a global presence even though it has it's benefits. We are just going about it all wrong. It's like your neighbor constantly yelling out the window, telling you that your lawn is not green enough and your making his property look bad.

I'm on your side, just don't think there's a good reason to go after anybody at the moment.

edit on 5-2-2012 by ElmersGluon because: (no reason given)

This isn't a discussion. Americans out of Europe now.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm not sure I'm getting the disagreement. Are you thinking that while it is illegal for Americans and other countries to steal American music, it should be alright for Sweden to do it?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
LOL @ the US.

Ps. There is a huge underground movement planning about a retaliation against the US in 3 (three) different countries where I have traveled to be realized during the months of May to August of 2012.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am thinking that this is a big reason for the push to stem the tide of information distribution.

Frankly, I am surprised that the connection hasn't been made sooner on this site.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I would say its more about control. They hate not being in control and anything that puts a wrench in their plans (free form of news/information they cannot control) is a great thing for humanity.

I might have to refugee over to that country if we loose more of our freedoms and they stick to their guns.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It looks like the US is the boss. If you don't do what the US says, you're fired, or bombed.... or fire bombed even...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
As a staunch supporter of freedom and defender of all that is good. I call this an act of war!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Give me a break!
Who the hell are we gonna go after in Sweden?
This guy.....

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

More than one can play at blacklisting.

I think the rest of the world should blacklist US sites and corporates in response.

and close US bases on foreign soil.

and arrest known CIA agents.

Enforce the Marshall plan on the US.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium
This isn't a discussion. Americans out of Europe now.

Hey, I don't see any Americans on this site telling any Euros to get out of the USA.

I am all for getting the US Government out of Europe (and the rest of the world for that matter...)

But let's not make this about the people. Every time I visit Europe I get enough hate thrown at me just for being American as it is...

Hate the government if you want to... but let's spread some love for the average people.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The United States needs to stop forcing its policy on other nations and the internet, it is pretty ridiculous. What gives it the right to dictate the morals of this planet?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join