It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christ! My Hero!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesherlock

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by mikesherlock

Dear mikesherlock,

What happens if we substitute Napoleon for Jesus in your question? What happens if we substitute George Washington? Hmmm, we have heroes and that says what about Jesus?

Exactly!! False Idol, distraction, subversion, or Inspiration, you choose!

I am a afraid you misunderstand me. I don't see him as a false idol any more than I see Washington as make believe. That is not the issue. People may be viewed as archetypes; but, that occurs when we cease seeing them for all their characteristics. We tend to marginalize people when we choose to focus on one or two aspects of their personality.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Dear mikesherlock,

What happens if we substitute Napoleon for Jesus in your question? What happens if we substitute George Washington? Hmmm, we have heroes and that says what about Jesus?

Exactly!! False Idol, distraction, subversion, or Inspiration, you choose!

I am a afraid you misunderstand me. I don't see him as a false idol any more than I see Washington as make believe. That is not the issue. People may be viewed as archetypes; but, that occurs when we cease seeing them for all their characteristics. We tend to marginalize people when we choose to focus on one or two aspects of their personality.

Perhaps we have misunderstood each other! I am speaking of the mythological Jesus, the one who was born of a virgin from the seed of a ghost/god, whose parents were warned in a dream/angels that he would come and be great, who the tyrant fearing the upheaval of the status quo, i.e his power, would be undermined by his birth, so he tries to kill him, who escapes this tyrant in the nick of time, who is baptised/initiated and recieves his call to adventure, as Campbell put it, who is given a trial/hunger and temptation and overcomes it, who teaches to the masses a new message, upsetting the status quo, who has miraculouis (fairy tale like) powers, who is betrayed by a close companion, who is killed and resurrected! That mythological Jesus, not whoever, if there was, a real person called Yeshua Ben Yoseph, or Pandera, the mythological heroic archetype, not the real person, again if such a person actually existed!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Christ is my go'el.

Buddha is mine!! And Krishna, Christ, Mohammad, Zoroaster, Tammuz, Horus, Hercules, Asclepius, Pythagoras, Asitophanes, Gandhi, MLK, Malcolm X, etc....

Sweet bro, let me know how that works out for ya. Looks to me like you have all the main ones covered.

edit on 5-2-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

This is why they promote and enable the conspiracy community.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The Christ myth has many similarities to Heracles, or Hercules. Both have fathers who are either god, or God, but from human mothers. Both have 12 "labors" they must endure before they can ascend to sit at the right hand side of their father. Christ's 12 "labors" are represented by the 12 stations of the cross. Both have supernatural strength. Both follow the mythic structure of the hero's journey or call to adventure. Of course, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and countless comic book heroes also adhere to the Monomyth identified by Joseph Campbell:

In this Monomyth there is the Call to Adventure:

Arguably, Jesus' call to adventure began shortly after he was born, which is why Magi bearing gifts is told. It was foretold he would be a hero and the Magi identify Jesus as the Chosen, or Anointed One, or Messiah. Messianic legacy had as much to do with bloodlines as it did mythology, and this is why two of the Books from the New Testament take great pains to show Jesus' genealogy, to show he was actually the rightful heir to the throne of Israel, possessing a bloodline from both the House of Abraham, and the House of David. This Messianic legacy is also Jesus' Call to Adventure.

The Refusal to the Call to Adventure:

Jesus was 33 years of age when he entered his ministry, and his ministry was a strange and round about way for a rightful priest/king to claim the throne of Israel, that at the time was occupied by the son of the usurper Herod, that son being Herod Antipas.

The Supernatural Aid:

The "wise old man" in the Jesus monomyth is arguably Yahweh himself, or indirectly through his angels. In the Christ myth, the Supernatural Aid becomes clear at the same time that Jesus crosses the threshold:

The Crossing of the Threshold:

Jesus is baptized by John the Baptist to announce the beginning of his ministry. At this time the sky opens up and the "spirit of God descends like a dove".

The Belly of the Whale:

After the Baptism by John, Jesus is "driven" into the desert by the Holy Spirit. This is to represent Jesus' separation from his ordinary world into his new world of the Hero's Journey.

Then there is the Initiation, where Jesus first faces the:

The Road of Trials:

The three temptations of Satan offered to Jesus in the desert represent the beginning of the many tests and trials Jesus must face on his road of adventure.

The Meeting with a Goddess:

Generally, the Madonna Virgin Mary is seen as that goddess.

Woman as Temptress:

Generally, Mary Magdalene is awkwardly presented as that temptress.

Anointment with the Father:

The crucifixion is this anointment. This is where the physical death happens so that the hero may be reborn.

The Ultimate Boon:

This is generally presented in the New Testament and by Christians as being Jesus consummation of all sin, so humanity may be saved.

The Return represents the final act of the Hero's journey.

Refusals to Return:

I have no knowledge of Jesus not wanting to leave his place of eternal bliss, but it did take him three days from death to resurrection, so who knows, right?

The Magic Flight:

Jesus resurrection is certainly seen as a miracle, and therefore magical, although generally the magic flight is usually where the hero must escape the jealous guardians of that ultimate boon the hero must bring back to the world.

Rescue from Without:

It is interesting to note that the first person to witness the resurrection of Christ is the woman the Church as so ardently painted as the whore. Mary Magdalene is arguably that rescue without.

The Crossing of the Return to the Threshold:

The final ministry of Christ.

Master of Two Worlds:

The resurrection also represents the master of two worlds, where Jesus has left Heaven to return to Earth.

Freedom to Live:

Jesus return to Earth is one not of the former man, but of the glorified Jesus.

Jesus is the ultimate mythological hero, although Batman runs a strong second.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
The Christ myth has many similarities to Heracles, or Hercules. Both have fathers who are either god, or God, but from human mothers. Both have 12 "labors" they must endure before they can ascend to sit at the right hand side of their father. Christ's 12 "labors" are represented by the 12 stations of the cross. Both have supernatural strength. Both follow the mythic structure of the hero's journey or call to adventure. Of course, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and countless comic book heroes also adhere to the Monomyth identified by Joseph Campbell:

In this Monomyth there is the Call to Adventure:

Arguably, Jesus' call to adventure began shortly after he was born, which is why Magi bearing gifts is told. It was foretold he would be a hero and the Magi identify Jesus as the Chosen, or Anointed One, or Messiah. Messianic legacy had as much to do with bloodlines as it did mythology, and this is why two of the Books from the New Testament take great pains to show Jesus' genealogy, to show he was actually the rightful heir to the throne of Israel, possessing a bloodline from both the House of Abraham, and the House of David. This Messianic legacy is also Jesus' Call to Adventure.

The Refusal to the Call to Adventure:

Jesus was 33 years of age when he entered his ministry, and his ministry was a strange and round about way for a rightful priest/king to claim the throne of Israel, that at the time was occupied by the son of the usurper Herod, that son being Herod Antipas.

The Supernatural Aid:

The "wise old man" in the Jesus monomyth is arguably Yahweh himself, or indirectly through his angels. In the Christ myth, the Supernatural Aid becomes clear at the same time that Jesus crosses the threshold:

The Crossing of the Threshold:

Jesus is baptized by John the Baptist to announce the beginning of his ministry. At this time the sky opens up and the "spirit of God descends like a dove".

The Belly of the Whale:

After the Baptism by John, Jesus is "driven" into the desert by the Holy Spirit. This is to represent Jesus' separation from his ordinary world into his new world of the Hero's Journey.

Then there is the Initiation, where Jesus first faces the:

The Road of Trials:

The three temptations of Satan offered to Jesus in the desert represent the beginning of the many tests and trials Jesus must face on his road of adventure.

The Meeting with a Goddess:

Generally, the Madonna Virgin Mary is seen as that goddess.

Woman as Temptress:

Generally, Mary Magdalene is awkwardly presented as that temptress.

Anointment with the Father:

The crucifixion is this anointment. This is where the physical death happens so that the hero may be reborn.

The Ultimate Boon:

This is generally presented in the New Testament and by Christians as being Jesus consummation of all sin, so humanity may be saved.

The Return represents the final act of the Hero's journey.

Refusals to Return:

I have no knowledge of Jesus not wanting to leave his place of eternal bliss, but it did take him three days from death to resurrection, so who knows, right?

The Magic Flight:

Jesus resurrection is certainly seen as a miracle, and therefore magical, although generally the magic flight is usually where the hero must escape the jealous guardians of that ultimate boon the hero must bring back to the world.

Rescue from Without:

It is interesting to note that the first person to witness the resurrection of Christ is the woman the Church as so ardently painted as the whore. Mary Magdalene is arguably that rescue without.

The Crossing of the Return to the Threshold:

The final ministry of Christ.

Master of Two Worlds:

The resurrection also represents the master of two worlds, where Jesus has left Heaven to return to Earth.

Freedom to Live:

Jesus return to Earth is one not of the former man, but of the glorified Jesus.

Jesus is the ultimate mythological hero, although Batman runs a strong second.

Excellent continuation of the post! Good work.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
If religion is the opiate of the masses, can we conclude that revolution is the opiate of the intellectual?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
If religion is the opiate of the masses, can we conclude that revolution is the opiate of the intellectual?

I love this idea! So what you are saying is that the revolution is an illusion occupying the other side of the same coin. Is that what you are saying? That is the way I have taken it and I think it is rather brilliant!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Look!! In the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's... me?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by I Want To Believe

Look!! In the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's... me?

Sounds like you are having an out of body experience!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59

Very well done! It is always good to see that one can point out the very basic points of virtually all religions while trashing none. If this continues, there may be some kind of melding of religions to form some kind of super religion, a " meeting of the minds if you will". A Divine Mega Consciousness! S & F for your insight!

It's been done already and is called Universalism, the ecumenical religion who doctrine is "all roads lead to heaven" and is anti-christ.

I won't be drinking that brand of Kool-aid, i hear the angel crying "come out, come out from Babylon and be seperate!"

You can be happy being stuck up the Pope's ass in his one world religion, i for one will not.
edit on 9-2-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by ajay59

Very well done! It is always good to see that one can point out the very basic points of virtually all religions while trashing none. If this continues, there may be some kind of melding of religions to form some kind of super religion, a " meeting of the minds if you will". A Divine Mega Consciousness! S & F for your insight!

It's been done already and is called Universalism, the ecumenical religion who doctrine is "all roads lead to heaven" and is anti-christ.

I won't be drinking that brand of Kool-aid, i hear the angel crying "come out, come out from Babylon and be seperate!"

You can be happy being stuck up the Pope's ass in his one world religion, i for one will not.
edit on 9-2-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

All Christians no matter how protesting/Protestant they believe they are, reside within the backside of the Pope, for yours is but a re-scripting of his theology! He and his ancestors control your mind! You are Constantines puppy, Eusebius' lacky and Martin Luther's anti-Semitic Gas Chamber attendant! your mind has been programmed and the programming sits their waiting to be activated by the triggers that at any moment could turn you into a blood thirsty soldier for anyone of your "Heroes!" Disconnect before it is too late!
edit on 10-2-2012 by mikesherlock because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join