It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Christ! My Hero!

page: 1
10
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The hero is a very old and powerful archetype, it has been used to both inspire and enslave! Understanding and being able to identify this archetype, allows one to not only seek out the lies and falsehoods spread by various religions and other belief systems, but it also gives the individual the power to gaze into the depths of their own psyche.

First let us look at some of the common elements involved within this archetype.

1. The Miraculous Conception/Birth

Many ancient heroes have been born in miraculous circumstances, it serves to demonstrate their extraordinary nature. Hercules was born from the union of the God, Zeus (Jupiter) and the mortal virgin Alcmene, Buddha was born from the side of his mother, Alexander the Great, born from Olympia the virgin and a serpent, Horus, born in the river from his goddess mother Isis, Sampson, born after Yahweh intervened and helped impregnate his mother, Krishna who was magically transferred from the whom of his mother to his aunt in order that he be born outside of the prison, his mother was residing in. The list is extremely long but in the case of the hero, a miraculous birth and or conception is usually an essential criterion.

2. Divine Announcement

This is another element of the heroes birth. Either one or both of the parents of the hero are told via, dream, oracle, angel and or prophesy that he child will come and be special.
The list here is also very long including but not limited to; Pythagoras, Buddha, Krishna, Alexander the Great, Zoroaster, Apollonius of Tyana and many others.

3. Dangerous Child Motif

The dangerous child motif re-occurs in many different ancient mythologies. It involves the birth of a prophesized ruler who poses a future threat to the local authority’s power, which results in the timely escape of the chosen infant and often the slaughter of many infants.
Some of the ancient heroes who have narrowly escaped death at the hands of tyrants have included; Osiris, Horus, King Sargon of Babylonia (basket of reeds covered with bitumen and set adrift down Euphrates River) Moses (see Sargon), Krishna, Zoroaster, Hercules and many others.

Of course, there are many more elements to the hero, like his initiation, or call to adventure as Joseph Campbell called it, symbolised by some event like a baptism, or awakening of some sort, the trial, or temptation, the miraculous powers, including healing the sick and raising the dead, the death and resurrection, are all ingredients of the hero archetype, which it seems not only have many astronomical/astrological symbols entwined within it, but more importantly, psychological ones as well, specifically the process Jung called "Individuation"!

Reading from his famous work entitled Psychology and Religion, we learn:

“…individuation is an heroic and often tragic task, the most difficult of all, it involves suffering, a passion of the ego: the ordinary, empirical man we once were is burdened with the fate of losing himself in a greater dimension and being robbed of his fancied freedom of will. He suffers, so to speak, from the violence done to him by the self. The analogous passion of Christ signifies God's suffering on account of the injustice of the world and the darkness of man. The human and the divine suffering set up a relationship of complementarity with compensating effects. Through the Christ-symbol, man can get to know the real meaning of his suffering: he is on the way towards realizing his wholeness. As a result of the integration of conscious and unconscious, his ego enters the "divine" realm, where it participates in "God's suffering." The cause of the suffering is in both cases the same, namely "incarnation," which on the human level appears as "individuation." The divine hero born of man is already threatened with murder; he has nowhere to lay his head, and his death is a gruesome tragedy. The self is no mere concept or logical postulate; it is a psychic reality, only part of it conscious, while for the rest it embraces the life of the unconscious and is therefore inconceivable except in the form of symbols. The drama of the archetypal life of Christ describes in symbolic images the events in the conscious life as well as in the life that transcends consciousness of a man who has been transformed by his higher destiny.”

When we begin to understand that we are the heroes, not the Christs and Mohameds, Krishnas and Hercules, we learn that their symbolic and metaphoric deaths connote our unconscious aspirations toward psychic maturity.

To finish off with a quote from Jung:

“The hero's symbolic death becomes, as it were, the achievement of that maturity.”

Only then will the malign outcomes of real conspiracies, lose their grip on the individual’s most sacred and inner-sanctum, the mind!




posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Im an anti-hero.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch
Im an anti-hero.


Good!

Love your Signature!!



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesherlock
 


Dear mikesherlock,

What happens if we substitute Napoleon for Jesus in your question? What happens if we substitute George Washington? Hmmm, we have heroes and that says what about Jesus?



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Christ:
Super cool fairy tale man.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by mikesherlock
 


Dear mikesherlock,

What happens if we substitute Napoleon for Jesus in your question? What happens if we substitute George Washington? Hmmm, we have heroes and that says what about Jesus?


Exactly!! False Idol, distraction, subversion, or Inspiration, you choose!



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Christ:
Super cool fairy tale man.


I have read better!



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Obvious agenda.
And it's disconcerting that people cannot see propaganda furthering the "elites" agenda of ridding the western nations of anything to do with Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Did you get tired of creating anti-Jesus threads under your other username michaelsherlock?

Is your agenda to further the indoctrination of our youngsters into thinking that Christians are the deluded one's, the bigots, the judgemental one's? Of course it's not against the one's that actually control all forms of media, all publishing houses, the banking systems, politics who have the sole agenda of the anti-christ.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesherlock
 


Very well done! It is always good to see that one can point out the very basic points of virtually all religions while trashing none. If this continues, there may be some kind of melding of religions to form some kind of super religion, a " meeting of the minds if you will". A Divine Mega Consciousness! S & F for your insight!



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Don't let the severely brainwashed get under your skin, they have no control over what they say.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

edit on 5-2-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Christ:
Super cool fairy tale man.


And you have proof to back this statement? I thought not.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
Obvious agenda.
And it's disconcerting that people cannot see propaganda furthering the "elites" agenda of ridding the western nations of anything to do with Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Did you get tired of creating anti-Jesus threads under your other username michaelsherlock?

Is your agenda to further the indoctrination of our youngsters into thinking that Christians are the deluded one's, the bigots, the judgemental one's? Of course it's not against the one's that actually control all forms of media, all publishing houses, the banking systems, politics who have the sole agenda of the anti-christ.


My thread simply looked at the archetype of the hero, which if you do your homework has existed well into antiquity. It seems this post has upset you and for that i am sorry, but ask yourself, why? Is it because you do not agree with the content, and if so why not? Could it be a result of your belief? If so, why do you believe as you do? And could your belief be wrong? Belief is not truth, it is the perception of the truth! From the tone of your post, I assume (could be wrong) that you support the whole Hollywood idea, regarding the illuminati Versus the Church, but if you look at history, read the works of early church fathers and the various minutes from Eccumenical Councils, you may discover that the religion, in what ever form, is the "Illuminati" (either literally or symbolically) and that the overlords have had the greatest success in controlling the minds of its herd, by way of religion! Religion has seperated the individual from themself and rendered unto Caesar, the very mind and soul of the person, turning them into a self-policing heresy hunter!

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
Ephesians 6:5


Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything you do. Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. Serve them sincerely because of your reverent fear of the Lord.
Colossians 3:22


Investigate, do your homework and take a look at life from a different angle, you may find it illuminating.

Do not let your belief get in the way of the truth!

"There is nothing worse than reaching the top of the ladder, only to discover you are on the wrong wall!"
Joseph Campbell



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Christ:
Super cool fairy tale man.


And you have proof to back this statement? I thought not.




There is no proving a fairy tale, which is why apologetics is a rather redundant institution!

You symbolically interpret the fairy tale and discover that it is a fiction describing a profound truth!



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59
Don't let the severely brainwashed get under your skin, they have no control over what they say.


Thanks, I won't!



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59
reply to post by mikesherlock
 


Very well done! It is always good to see that one can point out the very basic points of virtually all religions while trashing none. If this continues, there may be some kind of melding of religions to form some kind of super religion, a " meeting of the minds if you will". A Divine Mega Consciousness! S & F for your insight!


Good point, but we would also need to take care and see that this new super religion would not become a Constantinian Cage for a One/New World Order!



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Christ is my go'el.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." Marx.

"We have used the Bible as if it were a mere special constable's hand book, an opium dose for keeping beasts of burden patient while they were being overloaded, a mere book to keep the poor in order." Charles Kingsley

"Religion is opium for the people. Religion is a sort of spiritual booze, in which the slaves of capital drown their human image, their demand for a life more or less worthy of man." Lenin

I'm not a fan of any of these men. But what they and others have to say about religion as a whole, is of value from the proper perspective.

S&F.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." Marx.

"We have used the Bible as if it were a mere special constable's hand book, an opium dose for keeping beasts of burden patient while they were being overloaded, a mere book to keep the poor in order." Charles Kingsley

"Religion is opium for the people. Religion is a sort of spiritual booze, in which the slaves of capital drown their human image, their demand for a life more or less worthy of man." Lenin

I'm not a fan of any of these men. But what they and others have to say about religion as a whole, is of value from the proper perspective.

S&F.

I like George Bernard Shaw's quote; "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than acknowledging that a drunk is happier than a sober person"




posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Christ is my go'el.


Buddha is mine!! And Krishna, Christ, Mohammad, Zoroaster, Tammuz, Horus, Hercules, Asclepius, Pythagoras, Asitophanes, Gandhi, MLK, Malcolm X, etc....




top topics



 
10
<<   2 >>

log in

join