It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US planning to cut forces stationed in Europe.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think keeping one Mech Brigade, the Stryker Brigade, and the Airborne Brigade in Italy makes perfect sense. It totals about 15,000 troops (probably need a supporting Brigade or two in Europe for these forces as well so say 25,000 or so when all said and done.). You have a relatively small footprint, but the full spectrum of capabilites. (You I suppose could just store Mech Equipment Set and rotate brigades through I suppose) The airborne can move fast by air throught the region and provide light infantry. The Stryker unit has light mech power and can move fast by road, and the Mech Brigade gives you a really heavy punch should you need it (ie Russia acting up). They can train with the European's across the spectrum of ground warfare. Accompanied tours give the families 2-3 years together but still overseas. Most of these units live near/in the local communities and it gives them and their dependents a good look at life outside the US (something sorely missing amongst most Americans) and while you would have to check, probably isn't much more expensive then moving a brigade EVERY year (which is what will likely happen) back and forth for joint training and presence.

en.wikipedia.org...

Good article, shows cold war and current unit order of battle.

It's funny, if you read the article, and then think about Obama's announcement, this isn't his idea at all, he is just touting the current plan to bring back/cut the 2 heavy mech brigades. That plan has been in place since 2008. He hasn't done anything, just making it look like he is.

edit on 13-2-2012 by SrWingCommander because: grammer

edit on 13-2-2012 by SrWingCommander because: additional content.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Europeans are not worried about safety, they like the money the military spends there. I am pretty sure Germany is confident it will be all right as long as they dont fight everybody.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join