It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes. The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood. I.Q., or intelligence quotient, is a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists. Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told LiveScience. Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

I think this is really questionable. I mean, if they found that people with low IQs when they are kids are more likely to be conservatives when they grow up, so be it. But I'm not sure what that tells us of value about conservative ideology, racism, homophobia, or whatever.

On the other hand, it's also true that many of the most intelligent among us tend to be liberals. Try looking for a conservative among the faculty at a major research university, for example. You'll have a hard time finding more than a handful. If high intelligence tends to drive people toward being liberal, might the opposite also be true?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
good looking out but they have a thread on this.

Two I think.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Sorry to blunt.....but have you ever considered the possibility that YOU can make your own observations and formulate your own conclusions? People can do study after study, use graphs, and postulate statistics but what does it really mean? That he or she knows how to apply for grants to do useless studies which can be shadowed in doubt and waste funds that can actually benefit mankind! Stats are so easily manipulated that you could sway numbers to fit any pattern you wish. All I am saying is, break from the herd and use your own common sense to see the world around you as it truly is!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I'm with theubermensch
this has been posted several times.
PLEASE use the SEARCH function before posting?

I've made the same mistake, so, no worries

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join