It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increase in trolls/trolling?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I was called a troll because I use my real full name and picture. The same people calling me a troll are the ones hiding behind a false nickname using avatars and pictures of other people other than them . Isn't that rediculous? Haha

edit on 5-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

The word troll had a meaning prior to the internet.

A troll was a supernatural being from Norse & Scandinavian mythologies. They were ugly and lived in caves and hollows and were often malign in intent towards humans.

The application of the word 'troll' to internet, BBS and chat users, was and is, intentionally insulting.

I was, just yesterday, called a troll on ATS for suggesting an alternate interpretation of a bible verse. Not a big thing, I was not particularly upset because I feel was not actually trolling. The point is, that the poster that said I was trolling was also aware of the fact and was using the term as an insult.

By the same token, I have accused some people (who posted and re-posted the same thing over and over, despite adequate and valid debunking) of trolling. (It was in posts about comet Elenin, and I called them "Ninny Trolls"). So there are two sides to every coin.

edit on 5/2/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I remember that one, It sucks that people can't wait. I was definitely awaiting it, and in between your thread people that clearly didn't read that were being mean.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

It will turn into Idiocracy.

We're already there.

"Welcome to ATS, I love you."
edit on 5-2-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Mods already moved it once.

And to be fair, I've trolled here and there because there were topics that obviously evoked that side of me. I'll never be a model poster on ATS.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

I see what you did there and I appreciate your attempt at humor.

Tyrone for the win!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by baphomet420

If you'll read the thread again, that is not what I was getting at.

I'm talking about people who blatantly attack others for no reason. That is trolling. Having a different opinion is not.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There'll always be an increase of trollers & flamers abound.

They gotta make their $$$ at the end of the day.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
i see these attacks on the comments section of youtube all the time especially when it's something to do with 9/11. the OP has a good point if you really don't care about the subject that your viewing don't post, if you do don't say you don't if you lose your argument. some people just like arguments in my opinion. Having said all that it really is just a matter of ettiquette and i wouldn't want the freedom of speech (verbal or written) taken away from anyone.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
Has anyone else noticed an increase in the amount of trolls and trolling lately? I swear that in two different threads, I've seen people attacked just for expressing opinions on the subjects at hand.

For example, why do people post such gems as "No one cares! Move on! Wahhh!"? If you took the time to complain, then you DO care. I suggest avoiding a topic if you have nothing of substance.

In another thread, a newer member attacked a well-established member by deeming them ignorant when they were not expressing an ignorant viewpoint.

Just thought I would comment. I think the GLP trolls are invading again. I miss the days when you could have rational discussions with people even if you disagreed with them. Those days are long gone.
edit on 5-2-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

There's two sides to this argument. Either there is an increase in "trolls" as you put it OR there's an increase in intolerance of ignorance and the ignorant claim "troll".

I have seen threads with replies and links of reams and reams of evidence and the respondant is called a troll.....why? Because the cross referenced, in depth evidence conflicts with the belief of the OP and supporters, rather than admit they are wrong, I have NEVER EVER NEVER EVER seen ANYBODY admit they are wrong after having been presented with evidence. What does that tell you? it's tells psychologist an awful lot. Reasoned argument is fine. Total dismissal of evidence and labelling the respondant a troll is just dumb.

Ironically enough dismissal and name calling does more harm than good for ANY point of view.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The trolling is a result of hostility.

---> The hostility stems from humans and society in general turning on each other.

------> We're turning on each other mainly because we're psychologically projecting on each other.

---------> We're projecting on each other because we're so spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically miserable (we're fully aware of this on subconscious level).

---------------> We're miserable by design as a result of economic poverty, the countless ways in which we are being dumbed down and depopulated.

Crowded pigs in factory farms will cannibalize each other. It's the same principle.

Scarcity creates crime. Again, it's all the same principle.

The trolling is a symptom of disease. The disease is ruling elite.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have absolutely no doubt that there are special interest groups constantly monitoring topics.

Another thing I am seeing besides the trolling is the quick disappearance of topics and threads that deal with pro-USA, pro-Israel, and anti-Obama positions. It seems as soon as these threads are created, they disappear down that rat hole known as next page because there is a sudden surge of mostly uninteresting or non-pertinent topics to force the targeted topic down and off the front page. It is also apparent to me that there are several people here with multiple identities. I don’t keep track because it is not worth it to me but periodically the language appears the same. I also believe some of these are paid by special interest groups, some are employed by various governments and others self-appointed guardians of specific positions. In effect, there are lobbyists on ATS from what I can observe. Their intent is to destroy threads and discussions by belittling positions and posts.
edit on 5-2-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I like welcoming new comers and it seems lately the balance of the intros report that they have "been lurking" around for a while and now are joining. Whats up with that? Is this a signal to others that are also part of the new ATS troll club?

Like others here I have come to sit on the fence about the future of this site. It had this rep about knowledgable people sharing un biased information and events about the foggy areas of life. Now it seems to be some sort of simple chat room where people bring a minimum post with no links or thoughts. Just a yah or no i don't agree and then a closing insult. Diluting the mix is the only result. Makes me bored to read thru a bunch of nothing thread to find a gem (lately).

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
A 'troll' isn't someone whom voices an opposing opinion, as so many of you seem to think.

This was a thread started with the intention to troll. The only reason for that thread was to acquire e-laughs by making an outlandish statement to get a whole bunch of people riled up and bickering over what he said.

He succeeded.

There have always been trolls here. Some are just better than others. The reason there are more is because ATS linked to Facebook etc.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ittabena
reply to post by Naptown317

Waah, NO ONE CARES!!!!!

1) Uh, yes we do, at least some of us do. Please speak for yourself.

2) OP's point illustrated.

3) Deny ignorance, don't embrace it and propagate it.

Sarcasm averted!

Good job sir, now let's get onto the task at hand!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Instigating would be a more proper term. I like coming here while my other machines do stealth scans of this ip and other supporting domains. I have gathered a wealth of information on users ip addresses here. Best way to handle "trolls" is to identify them. 5644 3674 7891 8824 0034 5561 0436 9075

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

What I have noticed over the last three to four years is the increase in disinformation. I became a researcher by default and read widely as much as I could several years ago.

It now seems as though for every article containing information there is instantly an article full of disinformation. One theory I have is that the matrix is crumbling and as people wake up and see their world differently - the cabal/illuminati/whatever have to increase their energy and effort.

Another theory is that as people wake up they are angry and as such they tend to strike out at people who are well awake and getting on with the journey. Some people get stuck in the angry stage - the same as when a person learns they have been lied to - they can experience the pain and be angry for awhile and move through it - or get stuck in the anger.

Of course there are the paid trolls - shills - disinformers and whatever other names they are called who will have to get on with their chosen profession. Then we must add the people who just like to strike out because they can and for some strange reason - that is how they find their strength and worth.

We who like to discuss, debate, converse and research will just have to battle through the negative until they run out of puff. At least we will not have to demand pics or it didn't happen!!

Much Peace...to all the unhappy trolls and shills and their relatives...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

try getting me to give up my real name on the internet!

lol no thanks.

i love this website its fun and weird and crazy, the trolls are annoying though.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

i have a really cool idea (no sarcasm
)

when someone comes to a thread and just acts annoying, lets just say to them:

"please just go away, if you don't like the thread, go somewhere else"

but this might be abused as well because what if they feel the thread contains disinformation..... and they feel its the right thing to do, to save everyone by convincing them of what they themselves believe to be the truth?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

when someone comes to a thread and just acts annoying, lets just say to them:

"please just go away, if you don't like the thread, go somewhere else"

It, or something similar, has been said countless times. Never works I'm afraid.

I think the absolute best thing to do is to just ignore trolls.. something I'll admit I need to learn how to do a little bit better to say the least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join