It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increase in trolls/trolling?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Agreed. I have also seen a lot of posters who ignore the main points of threads to pick on spelling errors or to focus on one minor point that may be in error. In both cases the error has very little to do with the main points brought up, but seems rather an opportunity to launch a character assassination on someone the poster doesn't even know.

Lately I try to keep in mind - on ATS and in everyday life - what the Upanishads teaches us, which is that there is a spark of God inside each one of us. Though I will admit that some seem to do an awful good job of hiding their sparks.

Perhaps if everyone remembered this to be a discussion board instead of a confrontation site. It seems as though the dumbing down and tribalization of the masses in the US is making itself clear here as well. No surprise really as entertainment has replaced real thought and consideration in The US. And the entertainment quality continues to spiral down into de-evolution.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

Waah, NO ONE CARES!!!!!

1) Uh, yes we do, at least some of us do. Please speak for yourself.

2) OP's point illustrated.

3) Deny ignorance, don't embrace it and propagate it.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Heck yes! Trolls are here everyday and all day sometimes. The thing is...we see what they are up to after a few posts and should just ignore them.

If we see them for trolls, chances are, others do too. Of course some of our weaker minded members will be fooled, but what can you do about that? Feeding the trolls for pages at a time only kills the thread which is their goal.

Ignore them and they will either go away or look really stupid arguing with themselves.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
jazz10-

If every other post on your thread is asking you to clarify what you mean in your OP, or asking if you could possibly get an idea across without linking to 15 other threads and websites.......

You may not be dealing with trolls. It may be a communication problem.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
and this is a surprise why?
we all knew that the moment the facebook crowd got in here this would never be the same, I mean it would be nice I some staff members of ATS could please put in a banner at the top of the main page that this is an "ALTERNATIVE TO MAINSTREAM MEDIA" and that "FRINGE" TOPICS where in fact what made this ball roll.

Now, its page after page of one liners, off topic responses, trolling, and a general feeling of superficiality that gets on the nerves!
I understand, this IS a business, and the more the merrier, but please, something must be done, a few of the "old members" have left for good, now don't get me wrong, its not all bad, sometimes gems are found in the hay, just like always everywhere, but ATS was a refuge, the usual suspects trolled as usual, but the general vibe was different.

It used to be that every summer break a huge surge of bored tweens got here and hijacked threads, but now is as if they didn't get tired and stayed here, trying to turn this into something else.

My suggestion, have everyone agree on some stricter T&C, and enforce it, making sure that members know , what were we talking about here in the first place...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

Yes just like you my friend, nothing constructive at all, just posting "for fun", so everyone can "lighten up", to stop being "so serious" , like overgrown children who let someone else take responsibility for their lives, and their thoughts, and let others do the "real thinking"

A troll trolling the trolling thread, how appropriate.

I believe the worst "mistake" ever done was linking this to facebooks.
One usually found this site not by accident but by searching, but now...

For me this is just and indicator of the general state of things, society is crumbling apart because we the main building blocks, are full of gaps that interfere with the flow of information and life, we have chosen to be worthless accumulators instead of being capacitors...

cheers!
let the fittest survive, if they so wish.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

One suggestion from someone who made the same "mistake" you did. Do not try to moderate your own thread, if people are (in your opinion) deflecting, diverting or being off topic, leave it to the moderators to handle. You can alert them to any post at any time but trying to moderate your own thread requesting people stay on topic or whatever is not the way to go. Ignore and carry on and worry about the content and structure of the opening post, as others here have already suggested.

As a mod once rightly told me, to react to a troll comment (for want of a better description) is to be a troll yourself. Deep breath and move on is the best way to go. If you have something to say or an idea to present, do so but concentrate on the presentation. Your linked thread had a few "speed-bumps" in the road on the first page, a couple of removed posts and then everyone settled down and got to the business at hand. As DJW001 already noted, someone asking "Why?" or "More info?" is not a troll, they are often just trying to grasp your concept. If you are unsure of trolling, look at the posters P and S count. To use DJW001 as an example, do you really think someone with his/her post and star count would survive on ATS for so long if he/she really was a troll? I think I can safely say "No!".

Hope it helps. As for real names, I have nothing to hide but that doesn't mean I want my real name plastered all over the internet for bots and email harvesters to gather.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think the site is fine guys. Love coming on here for some good reads.

You get trolling and arguements anywhere you go these days. And as for using our real names... no lol

The only thing that gets me is people skimming threads and repeat posts. Read a thread first before commenting.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
ecx.images-amazon.com...

Here's whats needed folks

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Hey mate, I saw the thread that you are talking about and I learned that you have been seriously attacked and ridiculed in the past.
But you need to stay above all that trolling and not take them too seriosly, because there are people here who are actually interested of what you are sharing, ok? Dont get upset, thats exactly what they want and in the worst case you stop contributing to that thread. Dont let them, just ignore trolling and keep going for those who wish to hear what you have to say

It happens to so many others too. I wish you well

Oh, and try to be little more clear, for some the connections between other things dont open as they open to you. Try to understand.
edit on 5-2-2012 by WeekendWarrior because: just wanted to add

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
if your ideas are sound and backed up by hard facts you can't really be trolled..

if you post "opinions" you attract trolls.. this is ats "a debate forum". not yahoo chat

remember that the internet is a double edged sword.

you have to take the good with the bad. and i say even with the trolls.. this site is the best

now go play nice children..

as far as the increase in trolling.. it goes along with the increase in bait threads around here lately

you got an opinion? so do other people

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Coming from someone who gets trolled alot for my beliefs...if you don't want to get trolled, don't post because i promise you, someone will do a driveby trolling on you.

Troll theory

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
there is another type of trolling,"i will call it happy sappy troll invitational trolling" it involves people starting threads with "i had a dream that all interdimensional beings are one in the same and they blah blah etc"
this sort of hippy nonsense is i believe to discredit this site and its users.it buries informative fact based threads and invites trolls.
i have never lived under a bridge and never eaten a billy goat gruff so i refute the allegation i have ever been a troll
or trolled anyone,humour is a different thing.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A troll is simply a matter of perspective. That being said, the easily offended are a precious natural resource and ATS is chock full of them like most any other public forum. It is these easily offended and super serious individuals that provide so much genuine joy and laughter.

So please remember no matter how vexed you become, how easily offended you are, how serious you want the implausible or laughable to be, you are making someone happy and doing a service to mankind.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'd like to be confronted on my actions if anyone feels they're out of line. Sometimes I bend the handle I have into a boomerang and it goes flying, only to come back and bite me in the butt.
But ATS was always about Trolls, it's a place where skeptics and faith intertwine in such a way that sparks were bound to fly.

Sparks that fly in love, not friction, is a good thing.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by vipertruck99

they are as entitled to their opinion as you are.
I you feel so bad about the "hippy nonsense" then why do you accept the invitation and "humor" the thread with your witty remarks and sarcasm?
Its a rhetorical question, no need to answer...

I would believe that if a thread does not offer anything for me then I just ignore it and let them play without me interrupting just for laughs..

Respect people, no one holds the truth.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
In fact i think that if ATS members had to use their real names we would see a massive shift because anyone trolling is hiding behind a false identity.
MODERATORS SHOULD CONSIDER THIS

How do you change your user name? Are you allowed to use your real name? After all i have nothing to hide

Due to a tiny criminal segment of internet users, I do not think that it is wise to divulge too much about yourself online.

If they are going to try some identity theft, they sure should have to work very hard for it and get little very little in return.

It's not always about us being deceptive.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Some people choose to laugh at a ridiculous thread that makes empty assumptions based on unprovable absurdities rather then engage in a pointless debate about it because as its been said before, when you believe falsehood against all doubt, truth has no way in.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Yeah, trolling does get kind of annoying. In one of the last thread's I posted someone was 'kind' enough to tell me that they didn't bother to read my opening post (after practically telling me that my posted theory was wrong), that I'm pretty much wasting my life (because I put some actual work into the thread) and that I should move on already because It wasn't a recent conspiracy case, instead one of the older conspiracy cases (one from the 60's) that I actually happen to find really interesting. I mean, that kind of attitude is just pathetic. How can someone complain that some actual effort has been put into something, that a conspiracy is being discussed in the "General Conspiracies" forum and on an actual conspiracy, regardless of It's age? It's just silly.

The really unfortunate thing is I see that kind of attitude all the time around here as well, particularly in more recent times. A lot of work can be put into a thread, you present a theory and most of the time you're going to get a couple of people who complain about you and try to put you off posting again. It's the truly unfortunate thing about the internet - It's anonymous, people can feel a little bit more brave with what they say to others. Because of that It's always going to keep happening, even on a site like ATS with stricter Terms and conditions. Sure, I still think this is one of the best places on the internet for civility and genuine discussion of these topics, but sadly trolling and very rude people will always be present. It's just not something I feel as though we can truly escape.

Either we learn to live with it and not let it bother us that much, or It get's too much and it forces you away.

Just my 2 cents..
edit on 5-2-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

Rising, I ALWAYS appreciate your posts. Without fail I have found them informative and interesting.

Please don't stop doing the good stuff!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I am 100% in agreement with you. I would like to see more conversation and less condemnation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join