It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter is harder to resist than cigarettes and alcohol, study finds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk

Tweeting or checking emails may be harder to resist than cigarettes and alcohol, according to researchers who tried to measure how well people could resist their desires.

They even claim that while sleep and sex may be stronger urges, people are more likely to give in to longings or cravings to use social and other media.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.google.com

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I've always hated social media, but this is just shocking. Especially considering that the FBI monitors twitter and other social media sites. I wonder how the twitter creators get it to be so addictive, personally I've never really seen the appeal.
It can't be good for people to be so addicted to a social media site. Also I should point out that this is a great example of when mental addiction can be stronger than psychical addiction.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
How often are you here on ATS? How often do you check new posts? How often do you post yourself? How many days a week do you stay away?

I had times, where I checked Twitter daily and during the Egyptian spring I nearly could not get away from it, reading those life tweets as if I was there myself. It calmed down with the time, as I don't come here too often anymore.

It's not for nothing, that we see the prompt "Get a life!" so often in forums. (From people, who can't get away from their keyboards...
)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I feel so out of the loop.

I used twitter for a little bit...got bored of it fairly quickly..stopped using it
Same with facebook and the rest.

I found facebook and myspace to be initially a potential good way to network for career purposes, but soon found that to be not overly productive in those regards..so, meh...
As far as family is concerned...actually, that is why I stopped facebook. I really didn't care about if my sister seen a cute video she wants to share, or if she ordered pizza...my nieces latest 400 shots of her blowing a kiss to the camera, etc..so, ya..stopped logging in there also.

I don't understand the epic draw. I can see a mild interest in it now and then, but nope...I never really got it.
and I am on the computer for pretty much all of the daytime (typically reading or researching..or posting some nonsense somewhere..well, when not working anyhow)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
How often are you here on ATS? How often do you check new posts? How often do you post yourself? How many days a week do you stay away?

I had times, where I checked Twitter daily and during the Egyptian spring I nearly could not get away from it, reading those life tweets as if I was there myself. It calmed down with the time, as I don't come here too often anymore.

It's not for nothing, that we see the prompt "Get a life!" so often in forums. (From people, who can't get away from their keyboards...
)

Yes, good point
choose your poison I think is the overall theme.
This forum is pretty close to just another social networking website..so hard to really condemn others choices.

Star 4 u

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I smoke and drink. Can't stand social media, though.
Go figure.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by targeting

It is very easy to resist, if you don't have a cell phone.

I don't even know how to twat.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I hate all 3. Harder to resist? for who?? who are these people??????????

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
i had a twitter once.. for a day.

i think twitter is completely stupid. at least with facebook or myspace or whatever there is some content... pictures, videos, games, so there is actually a little something for people to be wasting their time with. twitter is a bunch of 2 sentence posts. how can you be addicted to it?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Interesting. I wonder how long before the government steps in and restricts access because "it's not good for you".

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

All the plastic people in this world.
I can't stand twitter.
Especially w/posts like: "I'm shopping for new shoes right now"
That is just soooo retarded to me...

This study was done with people that like Reality TV & PG13 movies that are supposed to be scary!!! LOL!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Interesting. I wonder how long before the government steps in and restricts access because "it's not good for you".

Actually the government will never shut down twitter. They monitor it and use it as a tool to track people. Imagine how easy it is to track someone who tweets what they're doing every 5 minutes.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
whats twitter?

seriously, i have heard of tweeting but i've never gone to the twitter site ever... yet

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I admit, I created an account once to join my peers there.... just to see what its like.
Then I lost interest after 3 days.
Did fine WITHOUT knowing what my peers were up to every 10 minutes or so.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Or you can be like me and laugh at people who use it. Funner than using it.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm always wary of these studies
no one asked me.....

I signed up for Twitter and never went back - haha I still get emails telling me "so and so is following you on Twitter" and I just delete them - they're following me nowhere

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
It seems they only studied idiots.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

no one asked me.....

I signed up for Twitter and never went back - haha I still get emails....
Actually, maybe they did ask you, but you just deleted it without reading it.
[color=CCFFE6]This study was probably conducted via Twitter.

they're following me nowhere
It would probably be a more pleasant experience to follow you nowhere, as opposed to following Lady GaGa to the grocery store.

edit on 2/5/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Perhaps we as intelligent beings all have an underlying desire to have a constant knowledge of things in our life. When you have the technology to access real-time news/knowledge, it's an incredible trait to possess.

After all, it's human nature to desire the powers of God.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Deathfromabove

Mhm. I immediately took a look at my twitter account. Nothing about new shoes at all. Just that boring stuff about Syria and the other Arab countries.

Here are the few last ones I received:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Just got a call from woman protester who says they'll continue their "nagging campaign" (her words) at parliament to bring down SCAF.

- its not abt China or Russia, nobody should have the VETO missile anyways!

- Op-ed: "Soft power" programmes in the #US that reach out to European Muslims have drawn ire from #EU governments

- I salute u! RT @Nadawassef: Views expressed on #25tveg no longer represent me,therefore I officially submitted my resignation from

- BREAKING: 22 people have been killed by security force gunfire across #Syria today. Local Coordinating Committees Says

- How can we call ourselves Men, Muslims,Humans when this happening to our people in Syria & we do nothing!

- Clinton : les EU travaillent à renforcer les sanctions et à en établir de nouvelles en #Syrie

- Shelling today shown very very clearly as it hits Baba Amr

- Syrian embassy in istanbul raided by angered #Syria'n protesters just now www.youtube.com...

- Quand la Tunisie commence, il faut suivre ! La #Tunisie expulse l'ambassadeur syrien et demande aux autres d'en faire de même.

- Having seen "nagging women" at parliament today, haranguing officers and deputies, they do seem more effective than the clashers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds really like Reality tv watchers. How stupid must those people be to talk in short sentences like that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join