It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lemon Jolly Rancher Mystery

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
enough is enough,now i will take to the streets...others will follow.i have lived with the lies long enough but now they deny us our lemon,just because its horrible and left a coating on your tongue doesnt mean it deserved summary execution.all flavours are equal and must be allowed to determine their own future.
what is next..our peanut butter cups,they may be sickening but i will fight to the death to protect my right to buy a packet once a year in case i have changed my mind

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
As long as they don't get rid of the green apple or watermelon flavors, I'm good.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

Ah, now I see. Another random google leads me to a blog with someone who mailed Hersheys with the very question. The answer isn't very helpful though:

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company. Your comments about JOLLY RANCHER hard candy are important.

We are sorry to disappoint you, but JOLLY RANCHER hard candy in the lemon flavor is currently not available. This product is not being produced for nationwide retail distribution at this time and we are unable to provide you with details as to when and where you might be able to obtain this product. We apologize for any inconvenience and assure you that your comments will be shared with our Marketing Department.

Your interest in our company is appreciated.

This email address is restricted for outgoing messages only. For that reason, please do not respond to this email as the inbox is not monitored.

Jean Saldutti
Consumer Representative

They aren't asying really...
Source

On reading a previous posters comment about food dyes... I found this:

Tartrazine appears to cause the most allergic and intolerance reactions of all the azo dyes, particularly among asthmatics and those with an aspirin intolerance.[5] Symptoms from tartrazine sensitivity can occur by either ingestion or cutaneous exposure to a substance containing tartrazine.[citation needed] A variety of immunologic responses have been attributed to tartrazine ingestion, including anxiety, migraines, clinical depression, blurred vision, itching, general weakness, heatwaves, feeling of suffocation, purple skin patches, and sleep disturbance.[6] Certain people who are exposed to the dye experience symptoms of tartrazine sensitivity even at extremely small doses, some for periods up to 72 hours after exposure.[citation needed] In children, asthma attacks and hives have been claimed, as well as supposed links to thyroid tumors, chromosomal damage, and hyperactivity.

Source

I think that was the reason. Kudos to the poster who mentioned it.

edit on 5/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typos

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
They did it in the UK with Starburst (formerly Opal Fruits) by replacing the separate lemon and lime flavours into one lemon/lime piece and adding blackcurrant to the packet.

If it was a matter of international sales like the time in the 80s when they renamed the Marathon to give it the US-centric Snickers branding then I could understand but if it was just a random decision to discontinue lemon Jolly Ranchers then more explanations are needed for why companies do this.

Also, I haven't seen Jolly Ranches in the UK since the mid 90s.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think loam and LightSpeedDriver hit the nail on the head. It was probably a dye issue. But why not just come out and say that? I'm still trying to find a recall or something with nothing coming up.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Damnit, I really wanted it to be RFID related. I still think there's Valium in the blue ones.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
reply to post by litterbaux

That's my second guess. Kinda like how all of the orange and green popsicles sit in the freezer until it gets cleaned out.

What kind of weird alternate reality do you live in?

Purple is always the last

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I don't know but my guess is that they were not all that popular. So they replaced it with something they thought would sell better. It's all about money.

That said, I recently bought a small bag of Jolly Ranchers and was sad to find no lemon ones. I used to like them as well.

EDIT: Looks like my guess was right. Score one for logic! Can I get a lemon Jolly Rancher as a reward?

edit on 6-2-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

Oh come on my good man. What the hell is wrong with you? Especially those new Del Monte Fruit Chiller tubes. Purple is supposed to be alternated with red until they run low, then toss in some randoms so long as they aren't orange or green. Just give purple a shot, and if you genuinely don't enjoy them then I will accept your answer.

How far are you from NY? I'll totally trade you overly orange and pine flavored green for your purple.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

I'll admit I've never tried that brand but from past experience purple = automatic garbage. You gotta be kidding me, that's the best trade ever. Orange anything is the #. Green comes in second, and then red. I'm in Chicago so just throw them my way and I'll trade you purple.

In fact, I just might give you the purple and I'd still be winning at life because those things taint freezers around the world.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
Damnit, I really wanted it to be RFID related. I still think there's Valium in the blue ones.

The blue ones are just overly acrid, overly sweetened little pieces of vaguely fruity flavor.

My kids love blue raspberry. YUCK. When i was a teen i had a sister that is 12 years younger than me. She used to LOVE Bubble Yum Soda. Who the hell can ingest something that is bubble gum flavored?

I like green when green is lime. I don't like green apple (that is just as bad as blue raspberry) and really don't like watermelon either. Orange is the last choice of the ones I will eat.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

Jolly Ranchers are good but I always prefered Skittles. These days I rarely eat candy but I do grab an Almond Joy or Mounds occassionally. Been craving coconut the last few years and for some reason when I do I hear the "feel like a nut" song. Have those ads from yesteryear finally worked their magic and conditioned me? Probably. I am Jack's experiment.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If it is lemon candy you crave grab a box of Lemon Heads, at least they are still in in production. Perhaps they had pictures of a Jolly Rancher in a compromising situation with a Mary Jane and blackmailed the company into removing the lemon Jolly's.

As for me, I have found candy nirvana, habenero enhanced black jelly beans. Hot, black jelly beans....ymmmmmmmmmmm.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Those Lindt chocolate bars with the chili pepper in them are amazing. I never knew chocolate could have such a unique version of flavor. The subtle little warmth down the back of the throat is nice too. I don't even care for chocolate that much and I liked this experience.

Back on the "Sour stuff" topic, does anyone remember "Tear Jerkers" gum balls? I liked those too, and thought the picture on the wrapper was funny.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
They probably eleminated the flavor because they found out that you liked it and then got rid of it.

That's the same reason that they got rid of Peanut Butter Boppers.

They found out that I liked them, so the Board of Directors of Nature Valley called a meeting and they decided to stop producing them because I can't be allowed to have something that I like

They want us to suffer, buy not giving us the products that we liked when we were younger.

Happiness cannot be allowed.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Hershey's decided to discontinue the lemon flavors because it was consistently voted as the worst and least appealing flavor of jolly rancher, and actually the primary reason why sales went down. People didn't want to buy bags of jolly ranchers because so many of them were lemon.
For everyone that didn't click the link.

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

My daughter loves the Valium, followed by watermelon (actually makes me wretch) and orange. Kids are strange. She also LOVES Jelly Belly soda. The vanilla and cherry are mildly tolerable for a few sips, but she'll drink a few bottles a day. My father buys them for her no matter how often I tell him I don't want her to have soda. I guess it comes with the grand parents babysitting thing.

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo3Foxtrot
Hey maybe 5 years late but I was wondering the same thing about the absence of lemon jolly ranchers and happened upon this long dormant thread. Then I saw this:

Jolly Rancher Hard Candy - Lemon Flavor 1 X 13oz Bag www.amazon.com...=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yaAsAbYEYGSJ2

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm from the UK, I remember...

Back in the 90's some time these became popular for a while. I'd never heard of them then they just appeared and everyone was buying them...all the cool kids were doing it. Not sure what made them popular, probably in a movie or something.

I never liked them to be honest, I don't really like sweets like that.

To be honest I don't remember the specific flavours at all, but I honestly think I'd rather eat an actual lemon than a lemon jolly rancher.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo3Foxtrot

I'm glad I found this. I googled basically the same thing wondering why I the world they would stop making the lemon jolly ranchers. Lemon is my absolute favorite! I love lemon flavor everything but especially loved the lemon jolly ranchers. I loved lemon just as much as a kid, too. The only thing I have found out is that they are selling bags of lemon flavored jolly ranchers on Amazon right now. However I figure when they run out that will be it if they have stopped making them there are only so many left to be sold. I'm actually fine with the blue raspberry but I wouldn't pick it over the lemon and I happen to hate the green apple but I know alot of people like it. The grape however is nasty like really nasty and I like grape flavored things most of the time so if anything they should get rid of the grape and bring the lemon back.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Echo3Foxtrot
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yes, yes I know that, good sir. But why? They never said why they did it. Even if they said that they polled 1,000 angry gerbils and they all said that lemon was the worst flavor, so they changed it. I want to know the why.

Hmmn. Interesting that they were replaced by blue raspberry. Blue raspberry just sort of suddenly appeared one day in candy and drinks all over the place. Is there something we should know about it? And I've always wondered--why blue? Raspberries come in black, red, and yellow, so why did they make it blue raspberry?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join