It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lemon Jolly Rancher Mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I remember as a kid when I was lucky enough to get candy, it was usually Jolly Ranchers. I remember fondly unwrapping them and popping one in my mouth. The most memorable flavor for me had to be lemon.

Since growing up, I've stopped the large intake of candy that I once had. And when I did get a sweet tooth, I would pick something other than Jolly Ranchers. But most recently, I got Jolly Ranchers and I noticed something peculiar. There were no lemon Jolly Ranchers in the bag. Only these blue things that do not taste good at all, which I'm guessing was the replacement for the lemon flavor.

So, I naturally went straight to me good friend Mr. Google. I asked Mr. Google if he knew anything about the disappearance of the lemon flavored Jolly Ranchers and the only information I got was the same generic letter from a consumer representative stating that the lemon flavor is currently unavailable and no longer in production. It also informed me that there are no future plans for it's return.

I have found nothing else. No story or press release about the discontinuation of one of America's most favored Jolly Rancher flavors(not based on fact). What is the reason behind this? What is the Hershey Company and/or government trying to hide? Why would they replace such a great flavor with a fictitious flavor? But most importantly, why was there no official statement about why the lemon Jolly Rancher is no longer produced?

Yes, yes, this all may seem really silly to most of you. But I'm hoping someone here has an answer. Maybe one of you knows something or has seen something I missed. I just want to know because I miss those little sugar blocks of fantastic flavor.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

Found in less than a minute.

Lemon was one of the original flavors, which has been discontinued and replaced with blue raspberry.

Source

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
It's probably harder to hide an RFID in lemon. Blue is Valium flavored.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yes, yes I know that, good sir. But why? They never said why they did it. Even if they said that they polled 1,000 angry gerbils and they all said that lemon was the worst flavor, so they changed it. I want to know the why.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The mystery deepens...why can't I remember lemon jolly ranchers? I have been enjoying candy for forty years and I have no memory of it! What madness is this?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The lemon ones were terrible. I'm sorta shocked Starburst hasn't gotten rid of the lemon flavor.

It's not a conspiracy, lemon just isn't very popular.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

That's my second guess. Kinda like how all of the orange and green popsicles sit in the freezer until it gets cleaned out.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
watermellon took the trophy

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

because it reminds of remidies

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I remember lemon. No one wanted them. They made my mouth turn inside out like when a cartoon character accidentally eats alum.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I'm thinking probably they were the least popular with kids. When I was a kid I hated orange & lemon starbursts and the pineapple gummi bears, but what flavor do most kids love & go for right away? It's always the blue & red candies. Man I havent had a Jolly Rancher in years, I loved how tart they were when you first put them in your mouth & your jaw would lock up for a second. LoL

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Unfortunately we don't have Jolly ranchers in the UK, so I never got to taste the lemon, but lucky me I have an American Girlfriend and she sent me over a bag of sour Jolly ranchers last year, and I got to say they were so so good! so good in fact they made my teeth hurt which has never happened before
the green ones have to be the best, they were delicious!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
i could never pass up a Green apple,

now, its martinis! go figure, tsk tsk

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

If I had to venture a guess, I wonder if the yellow dye that was used became the problem. Some have been banned from use in food. Look there for a possible answer.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

best answer in this thread.

however, lemon sucks. no one likes lemon except sadists and the extremely old whose taste has diminshed to only detecting sweet and salty. I can't believe anyone actually noticed them replacing craptastic lemon with yucktacular blue raspberry.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Lemon, orange, and lime have always been my favorite flavors, even back as a child. It saddens me that more and more candy makers are removing these flavors for atrocities like watermelon, sour apple, and banana.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I feel your pain, OP. I'm not a big fan of sookie sweeties as we call them in Scotland but I'm the only person I know who loves coffee cream chocolates and to my knowledge, they've been removed from Revels and Dairy Milk.

I made some Jolly Rancher vodka last summer and that turned out pretty amazing.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I wonder if "Cry Babies" are still around?

Now THOSE were the candies that separated the men from the mice.
2 at a time, and you had to keep it in your mouth. (sour!)

Made the Atomic Fire Ball "keep it in!" test look like child's play.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVisions
I wonder if "Cry Babies" are still around?

Now THOSE were the candies that separated the men from the mice.
2 at a time, and you had to keep it in your mouth. (sour!)

Made the Atomic Fire Ball "keep it in!" test look like child's play.

i buy cry babies on occasion for my little one...

this is where the rabbit hole gets deep...

the last bag,

was
over
half

LEMON......

I think the REAL answer is cry babies STOLE ALL THE DAMNED LEMON!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
AHHHHHHHHHH the plot thickens Watson!
Meet me at the Jolly Rancher factory at midnight....the game is afoot!

Perhaps the lemon was flavoured with now banned chemicals?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join