It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we please stop using dailymail.co.uk as a source so much?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
For some reason the dailymail is used as a source very frequently here and as it's a biased, unreliable, and inaccurate news organisation I'd like it to stop. The dailymail is essentially the fox news of britain. They take stories and sensationalize them to make things look much different than they actually are. Apparently their disinformation has served them very well seeing as they are one of the most popular online newspapers, but I think ATS is too good to use it and pretend like it's a reliable source. Deny ignorance.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
online media is as biast as it gets ,

to bad you can use a library as a news source

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Even a stopped clock is right twice per day. Almost ALL MSM is biased, Maybe the Daily news will get the big and truthful story someday and we will have missed it due to ignoring their journalistic efforts.

My point is; if you ignore it then you might miss something when it does happen, so I suggest weeding out the bad articles on a case by case basis.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by targeting

Almost ALL MSM sites are unrealiable and no different to Dailymail

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I read something recently which showed that the Daily Mail is now actually attracting far more visitors from the US than it does from the UK now. This is down purely to the amount of "celebrity gossip" they have on their site. It even outperforms US sites, from the New York Times to more trashy gossip sites, with them all now trying to emulate it's style..

This could be the reason we are seeing it more and more as a source, especially from Americans. They are now aware of the site and probably come across the sensationalist headlines after reading just how Victoria Beckham managed to keep her "amazing body" after 4 kids (For the record, it ain't amazing) or what dress Tulesa is wearing while in LA....

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I read something recently which showed that the Daily Mail is now actually attracting far more visitors from the US than it does from the UK now. This is down purely to the amount of "celebrity gossip" they have on their site. It even outperforms US sites, from the New York Times to more trashy gossip sites, with them all now trying to emulate it's style..

This could be the reason we are seeing it more and more as a source, especially from Americans. They are now aware of the site and probably come across the sensationalist headlines after reading just how Victoria Beckham managed to keep her "amazing body" after 4 kids (For the record, it ain't amazing) or what dress Tulesa is wearing while in LA....

Exactly. Now that they've tapped into that market their quality of reporting will only continue to degenerate until they're practically a tabloid. They are already much more sensational than any other online news site. They're known for putting their own innaccurate, biased spin on every story they publish.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

They are a tabloid!

Should have seen their reporting running up to the snow we have just had. Despite the fact it has been a warm winter and it's very nearly over, we get 2 inches of snow and they are up in arms about the "big freeze", how the UK simply cannot cope and we're going to run out of salt/gas/fish and chips....

I think it is telling that the only people that use the DM as a source are, by and large, not UK ATSers. We know what that rag is like, but unfortunately those who live in countries where the standard of reporting is already abysmal (the US..sorry, but your "News" sucks..it really does...) do not see it as such.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I've noticed, too, that a lot of posts use dailymail as a source. I find them to be sketchy and not entirely reliable.

Our mission here at ATS, however, is to ferret out the dubious reports and deny ignorance. With that said, bring on the daily mail, Fox news or any other MSM and let them run the gauntlet of skepticism that we abundantly provide.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Daily mail is disgusting. I agree completely.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Indeed. The DM, for it's faults, does carry interesting topics but the actual story they flesh around the topic is usually hyped garbage. If you merely use it as "hey guys, this happened" and then strip away the DM sensationalism and, in many cases, downright lies, then you can then get to the meat of the issue.

Personally, despite what many think, if you want a story without any hype and minimal spin, the best place to go is the BBC. I always try to find multiple sources for a story, using the BBC as a launch pad, so you can get the whole picture. Starting off on the DM though is usually the path to ruin...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

You can use the Daily if there's multiple sources covering the same thing. That's also how I approach Fox, CNN, RT, MSNBC, Reuters, NPR, etc
edit on 5-2-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I am sick and tired of lazy minds suggesting censorship, all over this forum.
I am sick and tired of character assassinations POSING as PROOF, when none is put forth or displaced.
People should actually read the articles referenced and put forth, not make prejudgements on their beliefs.

I have opened a thread for all you close minded communist censorship people:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I stand alone (?) as the beacon of hope and freedom apparently!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

It can still serve as an example for bad journalism.

It's also useful for source analyses... that's the only way to get to the truth (or as close as possible) anyways.

Pick a piece from the left, the right and the middle... sort out the BS of the intersection data and the rest is probably as close to the truth as you can get.

IMO people should use DM as a source... they just can't expect to be taken seriously if it is the only source they provide to make their point.
edit on 5-2-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

There's a big difference between wanting government censorship of the news and asking that people not use unreliable sources on a forum that claims to "deny ignorance". You're overreacting.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

i am not.
you have choice not to partake in such discussion.
you are forcing you view onto others.
i am not.
you are forcing censorship.
it about small steps.
it never stops.

besides ufo gullibles keep this site alive, so you may want to look where your bread comes from.

join