It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG WTF Snow in the UK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
So I am a night porter in a hotel, here in the UK we have just had the most snow we've had in years.
between 7-10 inches has settled.

I am here at work and I just know I won't be leaving in the morning. Gah.
Though I really want to try.

I have had a big wedding function's guests having after hours drinks, (damn they were non stop).
We are completely full tonight and I had a family come in (after they had phoned and I confirmed there were no rooms) and they just want to wait, "Ok, I have these guest's in the lounge so you'll have to wait till 2 am until you can wait in the lounge, oh by the way what is your plan of action?" "we don't have one we just want to stay here because our car is snowed in on the motorway" "Ok I'll ring Managment and see what i'm allowed to do, Ok you can stay in the lounge for the night (after calling my manager at 2 am). By the way 2 parents and 2 kids, pulling on my heart strings, they'd probably die in their car if I said no.

Anyway, anyone else stranded were they don't wanna be because of this weather?

I wish I never even drove here and just called in snow.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well, Central Canada has had rain in the last few days. So if it makes you feel any better, there are places that normally experience snow but have to live with England's crummy weather this year...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
7 to 10 inches of snow in New Hampshire is a business as usual kind of day. We barely get out the shovels for that kind of powdering. We got 31 inches just before last Halloween, and I still cooked out on the grill in the back yard.

Toughen up cupcake.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Give it back, i much prefer wet roads to invisible ones.
I don't have spare clothes, any toiletries or the will to live at the mo.
I cannot spend all tomorrow at work after doing the night shift.

But I am really terrified of the roads because I flipped a car about 4 christmas eve's ago because of a small patch of ice. Head on into telegraph pole breaking that in 3 (unused but still hard) which then flipped me and sent me sliding 200yards down the road with a fireworks display going in my face. Drivers door column, (painted blue) giving green sparks.

I almost crashed on my way here a few times.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Your country use snow tires or spikes?
we don't have that here.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Man,my heart goes out to that family!
Could you imagine if that was you and your family,stranded in a snowstorm.
I'm sure that you have those rollaway beds and I'm hoping that the hotel has a kind heart to accommodating them under the circumstances.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I live in an area in the US that has snow -
I know that without snow tires, city and county
snow plows and those that pour salt that we
would have it rough as well. Show the UK
some compassion - they are having a
difficult time.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
7 to 10 inches of snow in New Hampshire is a business as usual kind of day. We barely get out the shovels for that kind of powdering. We got 31 inches just before last Halloween, and I still cooked out on the grill in the back yard.

Toughen up cupcake.

This is the thing.

I'm English, still live in the country but I've said for years that it's ridiculous how the whole nation falls to a standstill over a few inches while parts of the US, Canada and Russia have several feet on average and still have a working road network and public transport.

The airport right by my house got closed because of the 1 inch of snow on the ground.

What the hell?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

They're in the residents lounge on sofa's, they had their own blanket.
There's not much else I can do seeing as their not residents or as far as i'm aware, paying.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Your country use snow tires or spikes?
we don't have that here.

Canada uses both. I would think the US is the same.
I have mud tires on my truck. Deep treads. They work best for the type of deep fluffy snow that I get here, but I have to be really careful if it's icy.
It's really cold here in the center of the country usually, so the colder it is, the less slippery it is.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Yeah kinda messed. Japan has had lots of snow too lately. One in particular that caught my eye was the sahara desert getting snow. Not a good sign! I myself, after all my ongoing research, believe we could be heading into a mini ice age. Whats your thoughts?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

I live in timmins ontario. Snow days for the kids were a once a year thing. When they happened it was an immense amount of snow. This year we had two american companies and a EU company to drive the school buses. These people do not know how to drive here because we have had 4 snow days since and all were on the days that we may have had 2 or 3 inches. Well one day I can forgive for the freezing rain.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
UK is pathetic when it comes to snow...

Every year they they say the same thing (gov/councils) "We weren't prepared" and yet every year... we are warned and told that snow is coming and how much snow and all that... there's plenty of time to prepare.

Airports closed, motorways closed... It's ridiculous.

There was more snow last year than these few inches last night.

We are seriously lame about snow.

But then again, we don't really get enough to change our society and gear it towards heavy snow fall... It's a tough one.... we almost always only act when we get snow, never get ready for it.

Weird.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I am LOVING the snow and hope it stays for weeks...one of the joys of not driving...legs and feet work as well in snow as they do in any weather...in fact better, get to do big skids. Happy as a pig in # here. More please!!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

Me too... I LOVE the snow and actually usually make a snowman (no joke) when It snows.

My post was not about whether I like it or not, just that our pathetic councils and government have no clue how to prepare for it.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Biliverdin

Me too... I LOVE the snow and actually usually make a snowman (no joke) when It snows.

My post was not about whether I like it or not, just that our pathetic councils and government have no clue how to prepare for it.

Yes I know, sorry, the sheer joy of it got the better of me. But...you know, we're all strapped for cash and it takes alot of money to prepare, I kind of like the fact that instead we just stop, and take it easy for a while instead. Far more civilised don't you think? I suppose it is annoying for those who think they need to be somewhere for a specific time...but since everywhere that I go is within walking distance, it is heaven for me...less cars, less people...love-r-ly. And soooooo quiet, all sound muffled...in fact...think I might go out to play...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin
But...you know, we're all strapped for cash and it takes alot of money to prepare, I kind of like the fact that instead we just stop, and take it easy for a while instead

It is very nice... but if you have jobs, businesses, school, hospital appointment or any number of other things, it can cause issues.

I can see both sides of it.

I suppose it is annoying for those who think they need to be somewhere for a specific time...but since everywhere that I go is within walking distance, it is heaven for me...less cars, less people...love-r-ly. And soooooo quiet, all sound muffled...in fact...think I might go out to play...

As I said, I can understand people's frustration at not being able to get places, sometimes very important appointments and places... but yes, I agree, it is very nice, peaceful and otherworldly when it snows.

I love it.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
OMFG ITS HELL HERE!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!! IM CANT MOVE MY FEET... IN THIS 10 INCHES OF SNOWWWW AHHHHHHHH.. must grab.. bottle.. off.. anti ... freeeeeeze...

:S

Seriously....

Inless your older than 60 or have a disability.. wtf is there to worry about.
...Im from UK.. and the snow is nothing to jump, shout and wave your arms about for... ITS JUST SNOW MON!
infact were i am... its almost all melted pmsl

I WANT TO STAND UP AND SAY FOR MY FELLOW COUNTRY MEN WHO CANT HANDLE SNOW!!!!

Grow some flipping balls!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP ..... You sound to be one of these people that work themself into frenzzys...

10 inches of snow.. my gawd,, build an ark... maybe nibiru is sending cosmic freeze powers to control your mind through harp with a gun made off sanchwiches.
edit on 5-2-2012 by TripleDoubleSingle because: I spilt some coffee on the first paragraph.....

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

edit on 5-2-2012 by TripleDoubleSingle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TripleDoubleSingle

LOL, I got home, but got stuck 4 times because I have a powerful front wheel drive and just wheel spinning all over the place.
Yes by this afternoon, most roads had been gritted appropriatly but in the morning it was hell.

Never has snow made me so miserable, I always had fun with it in the past but this morning, when I have people sliding towards me making me stop and getting stuck it was a nightmare.

I had to travel country lanes that were not treated at all, and hadn't melted fro mothers driving on them.
Between 10-20 MPH took me an hour and a half to get home a 20 min trip.
It's not fun.

top topics

join