It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Privacy: what options available?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hi everyone

Google and others are now openly farming user data for themselves or third parties, I am looking for alternatives to Android, Gmail, Chrome and Google search . Alternatives offering similar services for free, secure and showing respect for privacy ( I don't mind ads here and there). Any suggestions?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
There are alternative but you have to pay if you want fast speeds, unless you want to use stuff like TOR or anonomizer or go through a proxy
edit on 4-2-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What ^^^ said, TOR. Now it takes alittle self restraint to be fully anonymous such as not going to certain sites or using certain programs. Youtube... that's always the hardest habit to break. Have fun sailing the proxseas.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

1 No idea (no mobile phone here)
2 Hushmail
3 Firefox
4 Forgot the name

Others will have the ones I missed and forgot.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Thanks
I don't want to be fully anonymous
I just don't want the data and contents of my emails used for x purpose
Proxies, TOR are more a hassle. I have nothing to hide , only principles. I don't want to feed those greedy corporate ogres

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Thanks
I don't want to be fully anonymous
I just don't want the data and contents of my emails used for x purpose
Proxies, TOR are more a hassle. I have nothing to hide , only principles. I don't want to feed those greedy corporate ogres

Startpage is a good search alternative. If you use it right it will hide your searches from Google and you do get an untargeted response from Google. Deleting cookies may or may not help. Some regenerate. Don't use tools you didn't purchase and check up on the ones you did. Opt out of all reporting and all email offered to keep you up to date. You can use a u3 browser if you have a usb that supports that.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Tor is a good option and so are proxy servers if you can find elite servers that stay up, are fast and you don't post passwords.

Take my word for it these free proxy servers are just waiting to trip you up and also note a proxy server is able to fake anything it likes and even read and change any cookies you might have.

Google is the real evil one and is ripping people off with pay--per-click link and google is quite happy to allow 3rd party sites to direct traffic to google leads/ double click and don't care if the clicks come from a virus.

The add server on this site often use private IP address and many posts about this her on ATS get deleted or you get some tosser telling the person who brings the subject up to install more frigging memory as if they have the slightest clue about whats going on.

People need to stop being on the defensive, it does not work and go on the attack by screwing up the spyware messages and passing them back to google and the likes so that the data they hold becomes worthless and I for one post google the same cookie from 300-400 difrent locations, get my machine screen size to change every ten second and stuff like that.

Google Plus button uses 2000 lines of _javascript code to track you and thats just for a tiny little button they put on the page well Google should know that even traffic over HTTPS can be changed on the client so they get screwed up data from me.

Fight back anyway and everyway you can and google will soon be put back in it's MOSSAD/CIA box.
edit on 5-2-2012 by Master_007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Master_007

DIdn't military intelligence develop TOR? Seems like anything you wanted them to know you'd send over that network. That is the only reason I'd use it.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
When using the internet, there isn't much of an option for privacy. If you think of the internet, or rather, to use an old expression, the 'superhighway', as a system of rivers and tributaries and streams, anywhere along these systems, a person or a group can surreptitiously take a cup and draw water (information) from them.

You might have software on your computer that may encrypt the content of any messages you send, but this would only work if your recipient uses the same software to decrypt the message, and I don't doubt that those seeking to peer into the content of your messages will have software for doing the same decryption.

The real argument for all of what is going on is to do with the principle of individual privacy, and like the concept of individual freedom and liberty, the argument is not about 'utility' (the view of the spying networks) but about the principle meaning of these noble concepts and what they mean to us, and thus the question to ask ourselves is: do we cherish the principles of individual freedom, liberty, and privacy enough to argue for their non-molestation, and if they are molested, what do we do about it?

The only certifiable way they cannot track you is not to use the internet. Bear in mind, the spy networks are not the only ones that have been tracking and snooping in on your internet behaviour.

new topics

top topics

join