It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody else think that the NASA GRAIL's video of the Moon's far side is a CGI job?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

You misunderstood, or I didn't explain adequately. What I meant was that the direction that the camera is pointing doesn't change. It remains pointed in the direction of the stars. As the probe orbits, the Moon moves into and through the frame.

Like this but of course since the stars are very very distant the slight vertical movement of the camera will not show any change in the angle. Only if the probe (and thus the camera) is rotated would the stars change position in the frame.

I don't know if the camera has zoom capability but the probe was and is currently in an elliptical orbit, it gets closer and farther from the Moon's surface at various points. I didn't show that in the sketch. The orbit will be circularized before the science mission begins.
www.spaceflight101.com...

edit on 2/6/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The cameras in your diagram were worth 1000 words. I never would have thought they'd be oriented in that manner. I had everything based off of the incorrect assumption that the camera would always be pointed toward the center of the Moon. Kind of like if it were fixed to the end of the second hand moving smoothly around the face of a Rolex. So obviously no pics of the Moon when the cam is on the near side. So after all this it's safe to say there ARE stars in the vid. Yea, minor point debunked ! TY

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

There are 4 cameras mounted on the probe (aimed in different directions) and during the science phase of the mission the attitude of the probe will be changed in order to aim the cameras at targets selected by the middle school students. So there will be images from the near side as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well that wraps that up. I am outta here.

No you're not. See ya!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Awesome, but I do hope they stay away from clear shots of that crater to the lower right side of the Zeeman crater at the end of that vid. It obviously has either a giant airplane or even more likely a huge statue of a swashbuckling alien grey skull complete with a knife in its mouth! But on a more serious note would you be inclined to illustrate sometime how the position of GRAIL lines up with the view in the vid on the 19th relative to the Sun so that the far side was illuminated. Isn't the phase of the Moon as viewed from Earth kind of irrelevant?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

You mean Drygalski crater? Too late.
lunarnetworks.blogspot.com...

Isn't the phase of the Moon as viewed from Earth kind of irrelevant?

Yes, it is. A full hemisphere of the Moon is always illuminated from some vantage point, unless it's shadowed by the Earth during a lunar eclipse.

The probe entered lunar orbit around New Year's day. On this particular pass they happened to catch a full moon (from its POV) on the far side. It was a cool target of opportunity.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's funny. I was so kidding but like you said "too late". At least this thread only has a reference to "apparent" lens flare rather than claims of "Lunar Magneto-Mass Ejection in NASA vid".

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join