It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody else think that the NASA GRAIL's video of the Moon's far side is a CGI job?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well after you explain why we CAN see stars in this one... then you will see why I think you explanation is so silly

You do realize that the opening shot was an animation, don't you? When the actual imagery begins, there are a few stars visible, but the edge of the Moon is severely over-exposed. As soon as the sensor adjusts to the Moon's brightness, the stars disappear. As for the images of Orion you posted, it would be nice to see documentation of the circumstances under which they were taken. If the shuttle were only partially illuminated by earthshine, for example, the exposure might have been long enough for all those magnitude -2 to +1 stars to be visible.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

Does anybody else think that the NASA GRAIL's video of the Moon's far side is a CGI job?
---------------
The cameras aboard GRAIL-A/B, as was already noted, cannot be used for science because NASA doesn't do science.

Maria Zuber's testimony (Sept 22, 2011) before Congress says that NASA doesn't spend money in space?

The human space program produces advanced technologies and high-paying jobs.
Like some other government programs it provides considerable economic benefit to
many regions of the U.S.; not a cent of the NASA budget has ever been spent in
space

What did she just say???

And although Zuber has worked on numerous NASA space programs she seems to have a blank spots in some of her memory banks...

...thank you for the opportunity to appear
today to provide perspectives on the Future of Human Spaceflight. I lead NASA’s Gravity
Recovery and Interior Laboratory (GRAIL) dual-spacecraft mission to the Moon that lifted
off successfully from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on September 10, 2011. The
mission, which launched on spec, on time and under budget, is the first robotic
demonstration of precision formation flying around another planetary body. The last time
precision formation flying was performed at the Moon was during the Apollo 17 mission
under the command of Captain Eugene Cernan.
Source science.house.gov...

When LRO and Chandraayan-1 performed the bi-static radar experiment in August 2009 this does not count as a "precision formation flying".??

On 21 August 2009 Chandrayaan-1 along with the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter was used to perform a bistatic radar experiment to detect the presence of water ice on the lunar surface. In this experiment, Chandrayaan emanated RADAR pulses which, after reflection from the surface, were picked up by the receivers of both the Chandrayaan and the LRO. Both receivers, Mini-SAR in Chandrayaan and Mini-RF in LRO, were pointed at the Erlanger crater for four minutes during which the observations were made Source: en.wikipedia.org...

But according to Zuber this is not qualify as "precision formation flying" when 2 different nations of Earth send 2 different probes to the moon orbit to work on a 4 minute science test... does not equal... "precision formation flying"???

edit on 2/5/2012 by SayonaraJupiter because: tags

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

What did she just say???

She said that you cannot spend money in space. It is all spent on Earth, providing jobs. Maybe someday there will be restaurants on the Moon where people can spend their money, but not today.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

why the hell would nasa care about what people like you think? does every damn thing need to be a conspiracy to you people? i bet you think the ISS is fake too right? and they just shoot rockets into the air for #s and giggles to keep some pimple faced kid in his parents basement from finding out their master plan

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

What did she just say???

She said that you cannot spend money in space. It is all spent on Earth, providing jobs. Maybe someday there will be restaurants on the Moon where people can spend their money, but not today.

In about 60 days the ~$375 Million will have been "spent" when both GRAIL probes will crash into the moon. Mi$$ion Competed!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
In about 60 days the ~$375 Million will have been "spent" when both GRAIL probes will crash into the moon. Mi$$ion Competed!

Yeah NASA has deliberately smashed so many spacecraft into the Moon and other bodies. Real Cosmic Litterbugs. The Moon must be littered with space debris by now and so is Mars... Maybe they do it on purpose to hide the artifacts

Maybe if we cut there budget they would find a way to salvage some of that stuff... all that gold and platinum and plutonium just scattered all over everything...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yeah NASA has deliberately smashed so many spacecraft into the Moon and other bodies. Real Cosmic Litterbugs.

So does that mean you would prefer that satellites crash at random?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

What would you recommend they do with defunct space probes? For example, Galileo was crashed into Jupiter to prevent its orbit from decaying and causing it to crash into Europa or Io...possibly damaging burgeoning ecosystems.

As for budget cutting, NASA only has 0.6% of the total Federal budget. We spend more on maintaining defunct nuclear weapons than actually exploring our universe. It makes me sick.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
NASA is a waste of tax payer dollars. We have wasted billions of dollars on NASA and they still can't deliver a decent close up picture of the moon what a shame.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuminousCosmos
What would you recommend they do with defunct space probes?

Make em so they come home or stay up till we can salvage them... or maybe a self destruct button to vaporize them Splattering them all over gods creation is just stupid. Most of them have plutonium in them several pounds of plutonium almost weapons grade. Do you really support contaminating every rock in the solar system by smashing this stuff into them?

For example, Galileo was crashed into Jupiter to prevent its orbit from decaying and causing it to crash into Europa or Io...possibly damaging burgeoning ecosystems.

NASA typically scrubs its spacecraft clean of microbes to prevent what it calls the “forward contamination” of other places in the solar system. That wasn’t done with Galileo, which NASA originally intended to leave in orbit around Jupiter.

MSNBC NEWS SERVICES
cs.astronomy.com...

Seems those guys are just one mistake after another :shk:

Tomorrow at 7:am local time Galileo will crash into Jupiter, the probe has 48 1/2 pounds of plutonium aboard in pellet form. Friday night on coast to coast am with George Noory a physicist was on the show,with great concern on the event. He was indicating the possibility of the planet igniting with so much plutonium aboard the probe. It is certainly possible for this to happen he said. I do not think that it will happen because of too many zeros involved in the equation. However If it did it would ruin the skies for all of us astronomers, . because we would have 2 Suns in our Skies. Anyway it was a very interesting proposal indeed. Your comments will certainly be welcome here. Rick.... Clear Dark Skies

cs.astronomy.com...

As for budget cutting, NASA only has 0.6% of the total Federal budget. We spend more on maintaining defunct nuclear weapons than actually exploring our universe. It makes me sick.

NASA = Need Another Space Agency

Robert Bigelow making his own space station... NASA = No Access to Space for Americans

Europa Hmmmm I think they called that new second sun Lucifer - Bringer of Light Good old Arthur C Clark

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Kaifan

...Because thinking it relates to the holy grail isn't ridiculous or meaningless.

Actually no, is not, because that term can be used to mean something else, like 'the holy grail of science' or any other similar idea, but of course you assumed i was talking about the biblical holy grail right?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

I did think that.

I'm not the only one though...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

NASA has done more for planetary science than any other organization. They send probes millions of miles across the solar system with a surprisingly low failure rate, they have sent probes to nearly all of the major bodies in the solar system, and even 4 separate probes out to the stars.

Galileo was crashed into Jove to prevent RADIOACTIVE contamination of the moons in the system. I do not see why that is a strange thing to do.

Have you considered that metals like gold and platinum are just minerals? They serve no good purpose outside of electronics. Did you know that Venus probes used diamond lenses to survive high atmospheric pressure? Should we fly out to Venus to salvage these shiny bits of carbon? For what, rings?
edit on 2/5/2012 by NuminousCosmos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Kaifan

I did think that.

I think the idea that they are looking for the biblical holy grail on the moon is funny, and unrealistic, but on the other hand the name just doesn't make any sense, so that leads me to think that they may be looking for something that 'would be' their holy grail, if anything like that even exists, but who knows, with all the black projects going on who may never know what the real meaning of a mission is.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan

reply to post by Kaifan

I did think that.

I think the idea that they are looking for the biblical holy grail on the moon is funny, and unrealistic, but on the other hand the name just doesn't make any sense, so that leads me to think that they may be looking for something that 'would be' their holy grail, if anything like that even exists, but who knows, with all the black projects going on who may never know what the real meaning of a mission is.

If they were secretly looking for a 'grail', why the hell would they drop hints to you with a dead giveaway acronym? Secret Conspiracy 101, Don't Tell Anyone Else What You Are Doing!
edit on 6-2-2012 by FlyingSpaghettiMonster because: more

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

on the other hand the name just doesn't make any sense

The name does make sense.

The probes will make use of the geodetic techinque known as gravity recovery. It's another way of saying gravity mapping.
space.cv.nctu.edu.tw...

Interior because part of the mission is to use the gravitational data to determine the interior structure of the Moon.

Laboratory because, well, because it is.

There is a somewhat analogous mission for Earth called GRACE (Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment). I suppose they could have called it GRAIE but GRAIL is a little easier to pronounce.

edit on 2/6/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

There you go again, clouding speculation with dull facts.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuminousCosmos
reply to post by zorgon

NASA has done more for planetary science than any other organization.

It's called a monopoly. They've actually been holding mankind back.

But they are government agency, so saying that on here will get you treated like you just slapped the baby Jesus.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

No monopoly any more.

China and India are quickly catching up, and then there is the private sector which will only increase in the future.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Now what makes this film also useful is that it is filmed with the low resolution black and white camera and even when the camera points at the bright moon, you can still clearly see the stars.

The constellation is Orion, a very recognizable feature indeed and you can even see four stars in the sword

The three stars in Orion's belt are about three degrees across. The Moon has an angular diameter of 1/2 degree. What's wrong with this picture, Zorgon?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join