It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brains of Addicts Are Inherently Abnormal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by rydizz

When I tapped that out I thought the sarcasm was implied. While I'm not certain of methadone, I know of several synthetic opiates that were marketed as non habit forming which are widely abused today. It illustrates, to me the gap between scientific knowledge of addiction and the reality of it for some of us.

Can I ask you if the maint your on has an end in sight as to some day abstain?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rydizz

One of the main, huge reasons for peoples' lives falling apart due to addiction is because of the ILLEGALITY of the drug on the street!

I disagree 100% alcohol is totally legal and just as destructive.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ
reply to post by rydizz

When I tapped that out I thought the sarcasm was implied. While I'm not certain of methadone, I know of several synthetic opiates that were marketed as non habit forming which are widely abused today. It illustrates, to me the gap between scientific knowledge of addiction and the reality of it for some of us.

Can I ask you if the maint your on has an end in sight as to some day abstain?

I re read your post after I posted and noticed the sarcasm. I admit I saw the "non habit forming" part and rushed to reply!

[[SNIPPED]]
Just to clarify...

edit on Sat Feb 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rydizz

Well I wish you the best and hope you begin the process of stopping before your pushing daisies

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
First double post ever
edit on 4-2-2012 by type0civ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lostjohnny

I have no idea what your post, means or it's relevancy, but I have to say I like your avatar. Not a [snip], but I will always love the dead.
edit on Sat Feb 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Just to clarify...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

CAUTION!!!!!!

ATS has a ZERO-TOLERANCE for drug usage topics.
Just to clarify...
edit on Sat Feb 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Woops! Have to go over the guidelines, I'm sure they've changed in the year plus I've been dormant. My humble apologies to mods and users.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
www.google.com... 1&biw=892&bih=452

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
As regards the topic, yes I would say it is not so much the brain itself, but rather the brain chemistry of one who seeks to self medicate at an addictive/destructive level that is 'out of balance'. We know proper levels of neurotransmitters are absolutely critical to feeling 'good', feeling human, or for feeling anything for that matter, I fully suspect for some individuals that maintaining adeqaute levels is very difficult and results in things like severe clinical depression, OCD, perhaps Bi-polar, etc. to which many respond by attempts to treat themselves. This can be caused by many things, including likely genetic 'predispositons', but also metabolic abnormalities that CAN be often corrected allowing an alcoholic to radically decrease cravings, feel substantially better and not allow alcohol to destroy their lives. But more power to those who find totally abstaining best, if it works go for it.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by predator0187

Previous research has pointed to these differences, but it was unclear if they resulted from the ravages of addiction or if they were there beforehand to predispose a person to drug abuse.

That was my first thought, how do they know that the abuse didn't cause the abnormalities, so if they don't know, the study proves nothing.

pretty much and also they failed to mention what drugs they are even talking about. was it one drug, several drugs combined or what? seems like a lame attempt at additional funding.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Nora Volkow and Ruben Baler of the US National Institute on Drug Abuse said that knowing more about brain circuitry could help understand and treat other "impaired control" disorders, like obesity, pathological gambling, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorders. "Several childhood and adolescent interventions can improve executive function and self-control," though more study is needed to see how such work may or may not impact the brain, they wrote.

The study of psychological addictions is a minefield. So much else to consider when your control group happens to be your sibling.

Like the quote says, no conclusions yet, lots more work to do investigating if brain circuitry has any relevance and I don't like the idea of "childhood and adolescent interventions".

Like in the film "Minority Report", it questions the existence of free will.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This article demonstrates why addicts self-medicate and would be beneficial in a court hearing. It is ridiculous in this country that instead of helping and rehabilitating the mentally ill or addicted, that we imprison them and further destroy their lives with criminal charges.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

reply to post by rydizz

One of the main, huge reasons for peoples' lives falling apart due to addiction is because of the ILLEGALITY of the drug on the street!

I disagree 100% alcohol is totally legal and just as destructive.

You're not stealing grandmas handbag for a bottle of whiskey.

The legal status of it is 100% why it is as problematic to society, the individual who is tied to addiction however, does not have to be a criminal to legally obtain a drug/substance that will cause THEM problems.

No one looks at a junkie and says "Man I wish that was legal, I want to be just like them!" so...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

What a shame... I had a copy of the Big Book and never picked it up for the fact I am not religious at all and putting my faith in God does not sit well with me..

I just picked it up.

Every second chapter is about how God saved them.... it's like going to church. Just annoys the hell into me.

ugh, shame.. I kept it for so long after the meetings I used to go to told me that it does not have to be God... but a god by any other name is still a god...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

every body as some sort of addiction
that is if they have an addictive personality
speaking from experience sadly

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

reply to post by BLKMJK

Are you in relapse my friend!?!? Your mood says"comfortably numb"

LOL! No my friend, I have been clean for quite a while now. I just love Pink Floyd. I wish there was such a thing as "comfortably numb", if there is, I have not felt it.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostviking
This article demonstrates why addicts self-medicate and would be beneficial in a court hearing. It is ridiculous in this country that instead of helping and rehabilitating the mentally ill or addicted, that we imprison them and further destroy their lives with criminal charges.

I think it's also ridiculous how people look down upon addicts with disgust & hate calling them "junkies" and worse things. Addiction is a disease, would those same people feel the same disgust with a person suffering from any other debilitating disease? I think not.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Well yea..

Some people are more susceptible to becoming addicts.

And some become addicts after drug use.

I would think if you're raised in a way that promotes addiction, your brain chemistry will change to suit that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join